Advice: Tryouts soon.

avesfan

Aug 20, 2014
Ontario
It has been two years since I have played a competitive hockey game. Out of the blue I completely became driven to play one more year of Junior. I know I could have made it two years ago, but thats a long time for someone who hasn't played competitively. Anyways, I know its a long shot to make it, but does anybody have any advice/drills I can use to get my foot speed, agility and puck handling back to where it used to be. Strength and Conditioning is already at a high level. Thank you !

Kane88

Nov 1, 2012
It has been two years since I have played a competitive hockey game. Out of the blue I completely became driven to play one more year of Junior. I know I could have made it two years ago, but thats a long time for someone who hasn't played competitively. Anyways, I know its a long shot to make it, but does anybody have any advice/drills I can use to get my foot speed, agility and puck handling back to where it used to be. Strength and Conditioning is already at a high level. Thank you !

If you really want to make it I feel that helps try and stay excited, for foot speed i'd start lifting weights if you dont already and do sprints and time yourself, also do stairs and time yourself if you have a parachute running thing that helps, for puck handling i'd just practice off a shooting pad or a trampoline thats how I learent backhand toe drags on a trampoline, you could also tape to pucks to the blade of your stick and practice shooting and stick handling with a heavy stick.

Kane88

Nov 1, 2012

If you really want to make it I feel that helps try and stay excited, for foot speed i'd start lifting weights if you dont already and do sprints and time yourself, also do stairs and time yourself if you have a parachute running thing that helps, for puck handling i'd just practice off a shooting pad or a trampoline thats how I learent backhand toe drags on a trampoline, you could also tape to pucks to the blade of your stick and practice shooting and stick handling with a heavy stick.

VaughanBender72

The Pain Is Coming
Aug 4, 2014
Toronto

Go out their and play your style. Teams need roles. If you score score. If you're a grinder get into thoose corners and battle for the puck. If you're a scrapper, scrap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk0nq2Jkzuc

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Boot camp starts Tuesday. I just can't wait to be back on the ice ! I'll try as hard as I can to impress coaches when the tryouts start.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Junior "A'' ''B'' ''C'' And what team do do you play for ?

We might have an A team and a B team, but if there aren't enough players, everyone will be in the A team. My puck skills (shooting, passing and deking) are on par with the A level players, but I'm not a great skater, and a bit undersized (6 ft, 150 lbs).

VaughanBender72

The Pain Is Coming
Aug 4, 2014
Toronto
We might have an A team and a B team, but if there aren't enough players, everyone will be in the A team. My puck skills (shooting, passing and deking) are on par with the A level players, but I'm not a great skater, and a bit undersized (6 ft, 150 lbs).

6ft is a pretty good size. what league OJHL ?

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
6ft is a pretty good size. what league OJHL ?

Yeah but 150 lbs is quite thin. I find it hard to battle for the puck against the 6ft3 200 lbs dudes. My league is nowhere as big as the OJHL, but it still is Junior hockey. My league is called the Lac St Louis Regional League, and it's basically the western half of Montreal's suburbs. Here's the description of my team :

The junior level is part of the Lac-St-Louis Regional League, with 24 games during the regular season, from October to February. The games are 90 minutes long and start between 18h30 and 21h30. There are also regular practices and possibilities of tournaments. The junior single-letter level is non-contact, and is for players who are 18 to 21 years old. For the first time in many years, there are two junior teams in MRO during the 2013-2014 season, namely one A team and one B team. If there are enough registrations in the coming seasons, there will still be two junior teams, and tryouts will be held to form the teams. Last-year midget players of all levels - and from high school programs - are welcome to register next spring!

VaughanBender72

The Pain Is Coming
Aug 4, 2014
Toronto
yeah 150 is pretty low. i'm 5ft 4 and weigh 135 with a 13.5% body fat. For your height it's quite low of a weight. i'd reccomend gaining 10 pounds of muscle.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

Get as much ice time as possible, most players will already be approaching game speed -especially rookies going to multiple camps and tournaments.

Footspeed and agility -a couple oldies, happy feet and the four point stop drill. Push the tempo, push yourself as far as you can without falling.

mattkaminski15

Feb 25, 2014
Chicago
Yeah but 150 lbs is quite thin. I find it hard to battle for the puck against the 6ft3 200 lbs dudes. My league is nowhere as big as the OJHL, but it still is Junior hockey. My league is called the Lac St Louis Regional League, and it's basically the western half of Montreal's suburbs. Here's the description of my team :

The junior level is part of the Lac-St-Louis Regional League, with 24 games during the regular season, from October to February. The games are 90 minutes long and start between 18h30 and 21h30. There are also regular practices and possibilities of tournaments. The junior single-letter level is non-contact, and is for players who are 18 to 21 years old. For the first time in many years, there are two junior teams in MRO during the 2013-2014 season, namely one A team and one B team. If there are enough registrations in the coming seasons, there will still be two junior teams, and tryouts will be held to form the teams. Last-year midget players of all levels - and from high school programs - are welcome to register next spring!

Non contact junior Hockey?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad