Tryout Opportunity

FutureGM97

Jun 21, 2007
Hey Everyone,

Figured this was the place to go. The Danbury Whalers are having a professional tryout camp on June 24th and 25th in Danbury, CT with a chance to make the team's training camp in the fall. If you would be interested in trying out please email me at [email protected] and I can get you the forms to fill out. My PM box here on HF is full so use the email. Thanks :handclap:

(Mods feel free to what you would like with this)

ComradeChris

May 15, 2010
I'm 6'5 weigh 210 lbs and have played hockey in Michigan for 15 years of my life. I'm a defenseman. I'll be 20 October 27th. Didn't play this year due to financial problems, last year went to states, year before was high school hockey as a senior for Plymouth, and year before went to states, and the year before that made it to state semis. Played Midget A and AA. Didn't have the money for AAA.

Should I come out? I'd have to get a place in Connecticut so what's the whole situation with the team? What league is it and stuff? Would like to see some more information before thinking about committing to a tryout.

FutureGM97

Jun 21, 2007
I'm 6'5 weigh 210 lbs and have played hockey in Michigan for 15 years of my life. I'm a defenseman. I'll be 20 October 27th. Didn't play this year due to financial problems, last year went to states, year before was high school hockey as a senior for Plymouth, and year before went to states, and the year before that made it to state semis. Played Midget A and AA. Didn't have the money for AAA.

Should I come out? I'd have to get a place in Connecticut so what's the whole situation with the team? What league is it and stuff? Would like to see some more information before thinking about committing to a tryout.

You have the experience it sounds like which is good. I have to double check the age limit on the league (Federal Hockey League) again but I'm pretty sure as long as your are 20 at some point during the season you will be fine. This camp is for free agents with a certain number being picked for the actual training camp in the fall. If you make the team you would be provided housing and board. For the camp there is a hotel that will give u a special rate if you mention the camp. The cost to tryout is $200 which pays for jersey, icetime and other things at the camp.

If you would like me to send you the forms which you can look at just shoot me an email at the address in my first post. More than happy to answer anymore of your questions.

Renneys Revenge

Jan 7, 2010
Mike Vallely from CKY made the team as a grinder last year ( I know he used to play hockey but...) so there is probably a good opportunity for almost anyone. Also worst case scenario you get some experience and are in the same position as before. If you've got a place in CT I say go for it!

SouthpawTRK

Sep 18, 2009
Northern California
That's really cool that Mike V made the team as a grinder last year. Who would have figured that he had the time for that with his skateboarding and music endeavors; definitely shows that he has a love for the game! Sorry for going a bit off topic.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Does this league have any opening to going further?

I'm going to be 18 in the summer

Played AAA for 7 years, and have gotten some calls from the OHL

I'm about 6'3-6'4 and 215 pounds

I was a really good scorer but wasn't big enough to play my preferred role (power forward kind of) which is why I didn't make the OHL in my draft year

Would I be meeting the requirements?

Bulls9220

Feb 6, 2010
New York
I'm not interested (too young and not enough experience) but my friends 19 and his hands are freaking amazing. I'll show this to him next time I see him and see if hes interested.

FutureGM97

Jun 21, 2007
Does this league have any opening to going further?

I'm going to be 18 in the summer

Played AAA for 7 years, and have gotten some calls from the OHL

I'm about 6'3-6'4 and 215 pounds

I was a really good scorer but wasn't big enough to play my preferred role (power forward kind of) which is why I didn't make the OHL in my draft year

Would I be meeting the requirements?

Yes it does. The Whalers alone had 10 players go to the ECHL and 2 go to the AHL. Other teams had callups to these leagues as well as a few international ones if i remember correctly. The age requirement is 20 i believe so you may have to wait a little while but it certainly could be a good opportunity down the road for you.

I encourage anyone who is a bit young and may want to try out in the future to come to a game in Danbury this upcoming season and you can check out the league. The tryout camp itself will be open to the public as well i believe.

Also here is a video from this past season http://vimeo.com/20952570

BRONX_MADNESS*

Do you think this league or some reincarnation of it will be around in 2012-2013?

I played jr. b in the states but haven't played competitively for a few years, I'm down to train hard for a year and give it a go though. I'll probably get smoked if I went to tryouts now, too many ex-college players on the rosters.

FutureGM97

Jun 21, 2007
Do you think this league or some reincarnation of it will be around in 2012-2013?

I played jr. b in the states but haven't played competitively for a few years, I'm down to train hard for a year and give it a go though. I'll probably get smoked if I went to tryouts now, too many ex-college players on the rosters.

I think you could have a shot. There may be another camp sometime in august for free agent tryouts so if you can't make this one then you will have other opportunities. The franchise in Danbury is very strong and has a good base to work from so there will be other chances.

FutureGM97

Jun 21, 2007
I'm not interested (too young and not enough experience) but my friends 19 and his hands are freaking amazing. I'll show this to him next time I see him and see if hes interested.

Please do. Even if you are not interested or can't do it still pass this info along to people you may know who would be interested in doing something like this. You guys are a great help and i appreciate it alot.

ManicSubsidal15

Jan 26, 2009
Long Island, NY
I've actually been looking at the FHL for the last year or so, specifically the NY Aviators. I was just wondering if you knew more or less what salaries were like in that league? I've heard some players also had part-time jobs to go along with the money they were making playing hockey. Also, because most of these guys have other jobs, do players get traded often and move around?

FutureGM97

Jun 21, 2007
I've actually been looking at the FHL for the last year or so, specifically the NY Aviators. I was just wondering if you knew more or less what salaries were like in that league? I've heard some players also had part-time jobs to go along with the money they were making playing hockey. Also, because most of these guys have other jobs, do players get traded often and move around?

The cap for a team per week is $6000 and that is divided up among 17 players or so on the roster at a time with a varying of salaries depending on the contract. In terms of trades I don't remember them really happening too much. If a team wanted to make a move a player they would just release them outright and then other teams could sign them I think. Some players did have part time jobs as well to help offset some basic living costs because despite the fact alot of expenses are covered you may need more money than what you are provided with. But trades did not happen that often last season and I think that may be a reason why. Hope this answered your question.

FutureGM97

Jun 21, 2007
Just bumping this up...I've heard from a few interested people and hope some more guys decide to come out.

HolyRollie

Apr 10, 2011
Boston, MA
Still pretty interested in this. I'm in the same boat as BRONX_MADNESS...played Junior Bs but haven't done anything serious in about three years. Late June is pretty close, but I'm definitely still considering coming out.

FutureGM97

Jun 21, 2007
Still pretty interested in this. I'm in the same boat as BRONX_MADNESS...played Junior Bs but haven't done anything serious in about three years. Late June is pretty close, but I'm definitely still considering coming out.

That sounds great. If you are interested let me at least send you the forms for it so you have them if you decide to come out. Just email me at the address in the OP.

FutureGM97

Jun 21, 2007
Just bumping this up to the top again. I have had a bunch of people from this board emailing me about the tryouts and I am very happy to see alot of interested parties and am hoping for more. You guys have been a huge help and if there is anyone on the fence I would be happy to answer any questions and please spread the word. You guys are great and thanks again.

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
Is this any different than the ECHL tryouts where they take your $250, then have 5 or 6 guys out there who try to make a name for themselves by trying to fight smaller guys every shift then at the end of the day no one actually gets a call back?

FutureGM97

Jun 21, 2007
Is this any different than the ECHL tryouts where they take your $250, then have 5 or 6 guys out there who try to make a name for themselves by trying to fight smaller guys every shift then at the end of the day no one actually gets a call back?

Last year we had two guys who actually made it onto the opening night roster from a tryout camp like this. If you go into this camp everyone has a legitimate shot at making the roster. There will be players who will be called back for training camp as that is the goal of this camp. Through different drills and a series of scrimmages everyone will have a chance to show their skill-sets on the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad