Advice: True Stick for 9YO

Need4greed

Oct 17, 2018
I want to get a new True stick for my son. He is about 4"3 and 65 pound. Based on the True flex chart, he should be using a 30 flex stick. I am considering 3 sticks, XC9 20 youth, XC9 20 junior, and XC5 30 junior.

Based on the chart, I was going to get him the XC5 30 stick. However it is too long for him, and if I am to cut it down, i assume the 30 flex will also go up slightly.

I am now debating if I should get XC9 20 youth (almost perfect fit) or a cut down Xc9 junior stick. He is a beginner/ intermediate player who needs to improve his shots.

Thoughts anyone?

Polk High

Sep 9, 2009
Don't expect the stick to improve his shot. That will come from on ice and off ice practice.

Saying that, True makes a great stick. It should last quite a while, especially if you consider adding a jr size plug in it once he grows.

Really, the only weak spot I've seen is in the heel and maybe the toe. The heel chips out as does the toe but the stick still performs fine.

Reactions: bawkbawk

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Why not take your son to your local retailer and have him try out the different sticks?

Cutting down a stick will increase it's flex somewhat, but I don't know how dramatic it will be. But he just might like a more "bendy" stick to begin with.

Need4greed

Oct 17, 2018
Don't expect the stick to improve his shot. That will come from on ice and off ice practice.

Saying that, True makes a great stick. It should last quite a while, especially if you consider adding a jr size plug in it once he grows.

Really, the only weak spot I've seen is in the heel and maybe the toe. The heel chips out as does the toe but the stick still performs fine.

His old stick broke and hence we need th new stick. I like the suggestion of using a plug when he outgrows the cut down jr stick.. perhaps I should get the 30 flex then? It may be too stiff now but he will ''grow" into it later.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
IMHO, at that age, if you're going to err, err on the side of a stick that's too whippy. If the stick is too stiff, it will hinder his ability to develop proper mechanics. He won't learn to use the whip of the stick to generate velocity and power. Instead, he'll learn to bat at the puck like a baseball.

For what it's worth, my nephew is almost 90lbs and he uses a 30 flex, which is about 1/3 his weight. He has one of the best shots on his team.

My 2 cents. It's worth what you paid.

Reactions: AIREAYE

Polk High

Sep 9, 2009
He'll be fine with the 30 flex.

Honestly, most kids just sweep the puck off the ice. They really don't have the technical know how to really use the flex.

Just for info sake, each inch you cut off will add 5 to the flex of the stick, making it stiffer.

Reactions: AIREAYE

krown

Apr 25, 2007
vancouver
You should check out the Raven line of sticks. Developed specifically for young hockey players. My kids use them, and most of their teammates as well.

Home

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad