Post-Game Talk: True: Soli ruined the magic of DP

Should Soli be impeached?

• Total voters

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
The oilers did nothing wrong, except a little coasting, and still were impeached by the blue dogs.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Not great, but the Blues are a very good team and got a better then expected performance from Allen early.
Agreed however it’s seemingly becoming a common trend with the oilers lately. They just can’t seem to score. Even against Dallas we were lucky to win. I was happy and I called the score 2-1. But koskinen was lights out last night. We should have at least grabbed a point out of it. You aren’t beating anybody scoring 1 goal.

Ottawa - 2 goals
La - 2 goals
Buffalo - 2 goals
Toronto - 1 goal
Dallas - 2 goals
St Louis - 1 goal

6 of our last 8 games we have scored 2 goals or less. Something is wrong here. The lines have been shuffled but it doesn’t seem to make a difference. It’s a shame because we are getting g good goaltending too. I won’t pretend like I know the answer of who needs to be traded or who we need to get but this play if it continues we won’t sniff the playoffs at all.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Colorado keeps flying too. That team knows how to take a few good players and make the most of them. They legit look like they could be cup contenders. I wish we could figure that out

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
The effort was absolutely not there. The Blues were in control from the get go and the Oilers were damn lucky the score wasn’t worse.

Not sure what game you were watching, the effort was absolutely there, but I agree the score could've easily been worse.

If the effort had been the same as the team gave in some of their recent losses, this would have been a blow out.

They gave everything, and it was still a good ass kicking.

Reactions: RegDunlop

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Not sure what game you were watching, the effort was absolutely there, but I agree the score could've easily been worse.

If the effort had been the same as the team gave in some of their recent losses, this would have been a blow out.

They gave everything, and it was still a good ass kicking.
It wasn't a blowout because their goaltender prevented it from being a blowout. Koskinen was far and away their best player. They seldom challenged the Blues offensively and spent extended periods of time in their own end. Not to mention they took stupid penalties and never really got anything going on any of their power plays.

If the effort was there they would've swarmed the net more and checked harder in their own end.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Was at a company Christmas party last night so I missed the debacle.

Watching the extended highlights, it was men vs. boys. The amount of prime scoring chances the Blues had compared to the Oilers was huge. There must have been 7-8 ten bell saves by Koskinen in that highlight package.
Not that I expected any different but it just illustrates the immense gap between the Oilers and the real Cup contenders which is why it would have been foolish to pay a premium for Hall.

This team isn't remotely close to competing for a Cup, as if that wasn't obvious already. They are closer to the Kings/Ducks/Sens group than they are to the Avs/Bruins/Blues/Caps group.

Last edited:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Can we trade for Kreider?

A Rangers fan buddy of mine proposed this for Kreider word for word, the end part made me chuckle...

First deal offer is Ryan McLeod, Sam Gagne and a 2nd for Kreider, Reunanen and Gettinger. Edmonton has wanted Kreider for a while. We give you a couple of prospects as insurance if he won't sign there. McLeod is 6'3, 200 lbs, a main stay on the PK unit, blazing fast. A good fit for the bottom 6. Gagne is a UFA. Take him to make the money work for the dumb Oilers.

Would you do this knowing 100% that Kreider is gone after the season? I'm not even a big McLeod fan but I don't think it's worth it especially considering that the Oilers have absolute zilch in the system for centers after McLeod.

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
It was an even game... Oilers hit a couple posts and the Blues had 5 PP opportunities which they did nothing on.

High danger scoring chances favoured Oilers 13-12 and even total shots in the end wasn't far apart at 44-36.

Natural Stat Trick

Another solid effort by the PK crew and Koskinen was excellent again.

Obviously this team has to bury more of their chances and get more shots to the net and get some greasy rebounds/deflections instead of overpassing... but the effort was there and they were as good as the Blues... lack of finish is what again hurts this team.

What really hurt them was not getting the puck in deep. That directly led to both goals against. Burned them 2 games ago as well.

Reactions: tardigrade81

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Colorado keeps flying too. That team knows how to take a few good players and make the most of them. They legit look like they could be cup contenders. I wish we could figure that out
Old Santa Chia have us some pretty shitty gifts with no receipts to take them back. Gonna take a while to sort through this mess.

Reactions: tardigrade81

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
To me the main difference this game was each team's ability to gain zone entry with possession, they were just doing a far better job at stifling us as we were coming into the zone than we were doing to them. Bottomline they are a higher caliber team, gives us a teaching tool and something to strive for.

I'm honestly really happy about the game and that's cause of Adam Larsson he was playing fantastic defensive hockey, he was so damn good, this game combined with the prior 2 or so games I feel like we added a top 4 d-man, obviously we already had him, but it's been so f'ing long since I've seen him play this good.
So we are not trading him for pucks anymore. Should we post a memo to the HF Board so people can shut the hell up about trading our only option on the right side top pair?

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
This team isn't remotely close to competing for a Cup, as if that wasn't obvious already. They are closer to the Kings/Ducks/Sens group than they are to the Avs/Bruins/Blues/Caps group.
disagree there

Oilers are middle of the pack, and with some tweaks...they can get to the upper echelon

remember the Av made the playoffs last year with 38 wins
and the Blues were in last place in January

now, Oilers aren't those teams but they can easily be a playoff team

Yeah15

2nd Tier Fan
Mar 15, 2007
I'm just gonna say that if RNH was an actual good Top 6 player he would have tapped in that rebound off the first shot on that that last PP with the empty net. Instead he's nonchalant and lacks focus so he watches the puck go by his stick...which wasn't on the ice AGAIN. Guy was unchecked and the rebound comes right into his area and he isn't ready for it at all.

Stuff like this actually angers me lol.
Yeah I remember thinking the same thing when watching live, puck has to be on a platter for this guy it seems

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
disagree there

Oilers are middle of the pack, and with some tweaks...they can get to the upper echelon

remember the Av made the playoffs last year with 38 wins
and the Blues were in last place in January

now, Oilers aren't those teams but they can easily be a playoff team

I don't think they are a playoff team.
They have a negative goal differential (although that's skewed a bit by empty netters), they're 12-13-4 (12 wins, 17 losses) since the 7-1 start which is more representative of what they are and are barely treading water despite historical seasons from McDrai offensively, the best PP in the league, a top PK and excellent goaltending for the most part.

It's tough to win games consistently over the long haul getting consistent contributions from only 3 forwards (Kassian by association) who are already getting worn down and virtually nothing at even strength from most of the team. It's just not sustainable for success over the entirety of a season. I don't see a big difference between last years' team and this one.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I don't think they are a playoff team.
They have a negative goal differential (although that's skewed a bit by empty netters), they're 12-13-4 (12 wins, 17 losses) since the 7-1 start which is more representative of what they are and are barely treading water despite historical seasons from McDrai offensively, the best PP in the league, a top PK and excellent goaltending for the most part.

It's tough to win games consistently over the long haul getting consistent contributions from only 3 forwards (Kassian by association) who are already getting worn down and virtually nothing at even strength from most of the team. It's just not sustainable for success over the entirety of a season. I don't see a big difference between last years' team and this one.
I didn't say they were a playoff team...only they can be ;)

the reason for optimism is the goaltending from Koskinen
and special teams
depth will be a question mark until they can add some legit players to the roster

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad