OT: True North shout out

Galbatross

Oct 29, 2013
I'm looking for objective fan input here. I stopped watching hockey after the Senators couldn't close the deal and picked up watching hockey about 6 months before Boston won their cup. Did the shouts during National Anthem start with the Jets or has it been around for a while?

Ive noticed the Dallas Stars fans shout out "Stars", the Blues fans shout out "home of the -Blues-" in place of "Home of the - Brave-", and Ducks fans shouting out "Dawn" in honour of their awful singer. Are there other ones?

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
I'm looking for objective fan input here. I stopped watching hockey after the Senators couldn't close the deal and picked up watching hockey about 6 months before Boston won their cup. Did the shouts during National Anthem start with the Jets or has it been around for a while?

Ive noticed the Dallas Stars fans shout out "Stars", the Blues fans shout out "home of the -Blues-" in place of "Home of the - Brave-", and Ducks fans shouting out "Dawn" in honour of their awful singer. Are there other ones?

It started about a month or so before the first exhibition game. Started on another forum Return Of The Jets by a poster who started a thread there..and the same guy started a thread here on the HF Boards..it was a way of saying thanks to True North for brining the NHL back.
It started a little slow..quiet hardly noticeable during the first exhibition games, to where you could hear it during the first regular season game to where it grew and grew to where it is now...took a about a dozen games during the first regular to season to get going to where it is our tradition.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road

Just maybe the homer in me but I think besides our shout-out most of them are incredibly lame. Especially the Anaheim fans yelling out 'Dawn' in regards to their anthem singer. They should follow up with 'you suck' afterwards.

arbf412

Dec 3, 2011
Just maybe the homer in me but I think besides our shout-out most of them are incredibly lame. Especially the Anaheim fans yelling out 'Dawn' in regards to their anthem singer. They should follow up with 'you suck' afterwards.

I can confirm, this is definitely the homer in you. The only people who don't think "True North" is lame are the people who yell it.

Repoman

Jun 21, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
While True North was started because of TNSE, I like to think of it more of a Canadian thing. When I shout it out at games it's more of a "Proud to be Canadian" thing for me.

bodybreak

Whiteshell Wild
Jul 11, 2006
It started about a month or so before the first exhibition game. Started on another forum Return Of The Jets by a poster who started a thread there..and the same guy started a thread here on the HF Boards..it was a way of saying thanks to True North for brining the NHL back.
It started a little slow..quiet hardly noticeable during the first exhibition games, to where you could hear it during the first regular season game to where it grew and grew to where it is now...took a about a dozen games during the first regular to season to get going to where it is our tradition.

Actually, the credit goes to a Jets fan who started it all on Twitter. Not sure if he posts here or not. I had the same idea, and wasn't aware of the Twitter campaign, so I started a thread on the Return of the Jets board. Not sure if it was the original guy, or a 3rd party, who started up the thread here. I looked back over my post history and discovered that I had responded to the anthem shout out thread, saying I hadn't thought to post the idea on HF.

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
Back in December when the Wild came here, I over heard a bunch of fans that
made the trip from Minnesota to support the Wild talking.
They actually knew that when we shouted True North, it was in support
of Truth North Sports & Entertainment.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
I think most people are missing the point of the op who was asking did the shouting at specific parts of the anthem start with jets fans. The answer is no. Many fan bases did that long before the jets returned to the league.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Been going on forever. Used to chant BLUE at Bomber games in place of free in "god keep our land glorious and free" during anthems for decades in section S.

Last edited:

bodybreak

Whiteshell Wild
Jul 11, 2006
Not decades. Had season tickets in 2001 and it wasn't happening then.

Yes, before the Jets were back, Dallas fans were shouting "Stars" and Flames fans were shouting out SEE and RED during the US Anthem (for Sea of Red).

snowmobile

Jan 23, 2015
I hate the shoutout. Too corporate. If the anthem had Go Jets in it, that would be alright.

jbreiner

Mar 24, 2006
It's been going on for years in some form or another. The minor league team in Wichita, before they moved to the arena downtown would shout Thunder instead of Brave. I can't imagine that they would have been the first. They were doing that in the 90s.

SoupaTroupa

WHY NOT US?
Jan 8, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
I don't like it when the words of the anthems are changed during a shout out (disrespectful) and I think Calgary doing one during the American anthem is just weird. Anaheim shouting the singers name is also kind of odd. However, I love the True North shout out. It's kind of unique in the sense that it's basically a thank you to TNE for bringing out team back, not just some random colour or whatever being shouted out just for the sake of having something to shout. It actually has a lot of meaning to the fans.

basplit

Jan 12, 2014
Been going on forever. Used to chant BLUE at Bomber games in place of free in "god keep our land glorious and free" during anthems for decades in section S.

LOL- I always thought they were saying BOOZE....

snowmobile

Jan 23, 2015
I don't like it when the words of the anthems are changed during a shout out (disrespectful) and I think Calgary doing one during the American anthem is just weird. Anaheim shouting the singers name is also kind of odd. However, I love the True North shout out. It's kind of unique in the sense that it's basically a thank you to TNE for bringing out team back, not just some random colour or whatever being shouted out just for the sake of having something to shout. It actually has a lot of meaning to the fans.

So saying "RED" or "Stars" is awful, but yelling a corporations name during the anthems is not disrespectful? :shakehead

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
So saying "RED" or "Stars" is awful, but yelling a corporations name during the anthems is not disrespectful? :shakehead

Saying 'red' or 'stars' (or 'True North' for that matter) isn't changing the words, just emphasizing selected words.

And no, yelling a corporation's name isn't disrespectful.

m.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
The first year it was a thanks to TNSE.....now it is more of a yeah we live in Canada and love it kinda thing for me :D

23453_339847961891_692196891_4147942_391923_n.jpg

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
Saying 'red' or 'stars' (or 'True North' for that matter) isn't changing the words, just emphasizing selected words.

And no, yelling a corporation's name isn't disrespectful.

m.

Yeah, it's not like we're yelling out EXXON or something like that. As far as corporations go TRUE NORTH is not a bad one.

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
Yeah, it's not like we're yelling out EXXON or something like that. As far as corporations go TRUE NORTH is not a bad one.

With Glowing Hearts
We see thee rise
The UNION CARBIDE Stong and Free!

m.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad