McKenzie: Troy Stecher Available actively in trade talks.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I wonder if Toronto has interest because he’s a guy they could afford longterm opposed to Barrie who’s certainly gone at seasons end?

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Barrie played a good game tonight, one of only a handful since joining the team.

Stetcher only realistic if we're moving him out, and I am not sure Dubas would be willing to make that move right now.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I like Stecher, he plays hard even with him being smaller he’s got a lot of fight in him, doesn’t back down or shy away.

Lets make the deal than. Leafs need someone like that. I'm tried of Jake Gardiner 2.0

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
For some reason I always recall him being called Tory Stecher. Maybe it's the resemblance to another squirrelish d-man Tory Krug.

Reactions: qqaz

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
I don't know much about Stecher to be honest... NCAA sign right? Seems durable... rhd.. still young... room to grow... at a lower cap hit... could be a really good gamble.

Barrie and a 4th

For Stecher, a 3rd, and a b prospect.. maybe a bit better of a prospect? Am I way off here on either side... Leaf fan here by the way.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Not the guy I want playing with Rielly but he'd be a good piece, maybe he works with Muzzin, definitely with Sandin

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Interesting... wasn't this guy loved by Vancouver fans a couple years ago when he made the team out of camp? What's happened since?

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I don't know much about Stecher to be honest... NCAA sign right? Seems durable... rhd.. still young... room to grow... at a lower cap hit... could be a really good gamble.

Barrie and a 4th

For Stecher, a 3rd, and a b prospect.. maybe a bit better of a prospect? Am I way off here on either side... Leaf fan here by the way.

Probably pretty close. Stecher is a decent #5 guy that has shown he can play in the top 4 at times. But with the Canucks’ salary situation they’ll likely have to choose between him and Tanev going forward. Considering it’s looking like Benning wants to make a push this year, upgrading from Stecher to Barrie for the remainder of this season would make sense from that POV.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
We just can’t fit Stecher under the cap next season if we plan to re-sign Tanev. If we got rid of a guy like Benn, sure, but I have a feeling we’ll move Stecher for value.

Towards the end of last season, he was looking like a very good defenseman paired with Edler. This year the Myers signing and the emergence of Hughes has pushed him down the depth chart, so he hasn’t had an opportunity to truly shine.

With that being said, I don’t think we can afford Barrie either. My preference would be to move Stecher for a draft pick, or a 3 way trade where we ditch Eriksson and VANCOUVER / Toronto each kick in the picks to a third team. But if we’re doing that, we might as well make that move in the offseason unless we get some significant value coming back, and we know a guy like Tryamkin is coming in as a replacement.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Probably pretty close. Stecher is a decent #5 guy that has shown he can play in the top 4 at times. But with the Canucks’ salary situation they’ll likely have to choose between him and Tanev going forward. Considering it’s looking like Benning wants to make a push this year, upgrading from Stecher to Barrie for the remainder of this season would make sense from that POV.

Fair.

So Vancouver and Leaf fans can talk... good to know lol. I kid.

Anyway definitely makes sense... a number 5... maybe he pushes into a top 4 role... is he good enough for that?

Haven't seen him play enough.

I guess if you got a signed Barrie that would be a lot more in a trade at a reasonable price.

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
Rick Dhaliwal was suggesting that Stecher is entering a Ben Hutton scenario from last year. Fears that Stecher could be rewarded in arbitration a contract that they would be obligated to abide by but not want to pay, so they'd rather let him walk

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Interesting... wasn't this guy loved by Vancouver fans a couple years ago when he made the team out of camp? What's happened since?
Got worn down. Lost any ability to get any kind of shot through. Isn't strong enough to deal with forwards larger than Johnny Gaudreau. Gets targeted and can't usually handle it because the Canucks' D has been total ass the last couple of seasons. It's better now, but mainly just because of Hughes, who Stecher never plays with.

Reactions: ujju2

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018

our D is bad and he often gets exposed, he can be a good bottom pairing guy who could fill in top 4 minutes with a steady partner if necessary, but he's very average and can make boneheaded plays. the Canucks only have 3.5 good defensemen and he's not one of them. the sentiment around him kind of reminds me of Bieksa, where he could be so much better but he'd need a steadying hand like Hamhuis and Mitchell were to Bieksa in their time here.

Reactions: ujju2

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I'd only want to trade Stecher if we get a better RHD (as part of one trade or another).

I think a shutdown LHD should be a more pressing target.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad