Salary Cap: trouble in cap land?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
the TSN guys are putting out reports today that the cap wont be at 83 as everyone has assumed since December... we are now hearing numbers like 81.5 mill or possibly a little higher. offical number will come sometime this week I think but maybe dom or someone else can weigh in with the exact time if they know

personally... when these early numbers get released ive been skeptical in the past. I know I catch crap for it, but its really a moving donkey. last year the NHL did the same thing and threw out all sorts of numbers early... only to miss the mark

why do they do this? you have to remember the cap number is a reflection of the health of the league. there are still many teams trying to suck in investors every year. many nhl teams are not profitable on a year to year basis. the only real profit many owners will ever get is buying a franchise and seeing it appreciate in value before resale. think of it like a pyramid scheme. if there are no new investors, then someone is going to be left holding the bag.

what complicates things is theres a union that is entitled to 50% of hrr. so the owners cant simply cook the books. the union is entitled to audit. the union has its own problem. some union members have contracts and want the money they were promised. other union members still need contracts. because the pie is capped at 50%, you can end up promsing the various union members way more than 50%.... you might promise them 100 million... 200 million... or even 700-800 million dollars more than the 50%.

this is because most teams spend to the ceiling which is much higher than the reality of where it should be... the players are able to just blindly authorize an escalator clause that will take the real projections of revenues and hope for the best that the eventual number is much higher. why do they do this? the cap is already being overspent 100s and 100s of millions of dollars. without the escalator, there wont be room to get new contracts for new players... so the system much be fed

at the end of the day... what is really happening? you got a lot of players on 6-7 million dollar contracts that are getting clawed back now reportedly over 1 mill a year. joe thornton famously spoke on this a couple years ago with how much money he personally was losing. overall, the union keeps a tight lid on it because it amounts to one union member fighting another. its important for unions to stay together. theres nothing the union can do about this now because its one of their members against another but expect it to become a real hot button once the next cba rolls around. theres been a lot of anger under the surface if you pay attention.

meanwhile what is happening with all the teams and their second term rfa? this year is a blowup of the problem. when the cap was being projected at 83 mill, myself and others said some teams might be ok. I said we might be ok here in boston at 83 mill.

we wont be ok at 81.5

Toronto was never going to be ok... Winnipeg was never going to be ok... Winnipeg today traded trouba for a flawed 4-5 dman and a late first round pick. some people call it a good problem to have. Winnipeg never won a thing and are already breaking their team apart. now I hear they will move ehlers for one of those dmen in Carolina to try to fill the hole. trading pennies on the dollar maybe? we shall see

Toronto media is a bit out there... they think they will make some great trades for marleau/Zaitsev... we shall see... we shall see... but at the very least we see proof they are being forced to trade away all their vetern depth because of cap management. their kids are seeing their salaries double in the last 2-3 years compared to what the norm was before McDavid/draisailt. this extra 10 mill a year that Matthews/marner are going to end up with would have let Toronto keep their team together... but not now.

some people say let the players get what they are worth... these same people dont realize that the goverments give massive amounts of money to each team to help it stay competitive. its the taxpayers who are building these new arenas. we are giving many other subsidies and other moneys to the teams too.

the money might be there... but billion or more dollars has been given to the league straight from the tax payers... and 50% is going to the players slaries.

ironically the players benefit 50% of the revunues generated by these tax handouts... but dont participate in the building of any arenas. maybe there should be a tax on the players salaries to help finance the arenas that are ultimately generating all the money?

anyhow... its quite the house of cards. a lot of voodoo math. a bunch of changing owners getting in for a short time... losing their shirts... and then bailing out with a resale.

I love the game... I only watch nhl branded product... so I hope for this league to be healthy for years to come. maybe they can keep the balls juggling? ive seen 2 lockout/labour stoppages in recent years... 1 cost us a whole season. im going to predict this next one will be just as bad. sorry. other people will tell you everything is ok. they made a lot of other predictons that dont come true too

I questioned the 83 number when it came out... but smarter people then me told me to shut up. I wanted to believe 83 so after resisting it for a few weeks I just used it. its happier to go along with what people are telling you.

now heres another example maybe im right quite often when I talk about this stuff. I spend a hell of a lot of time studying it, so im not too surprised.

we will see... number gets released soon... and then we can chew down and have a hot discussion what the team can/should do.

that extra 1.5 mill is going to be HUGE

will it cost us a high pick when suddenly we are FORCED to move backes? will it cost us Heinen when we cant afford his arbitration number?

I dont see it costing us McAvoy or carlo… but will I be wrong about that?

certainly seems to slam the door on keeping Johansson... I never gave that any credibility at all... but again will I be wrong?

hell... if I am wrong then by all means people come after me when the numbers are known... tell me I was an idiot. im not afraid to toss out my predictions a year or two ahead of time... but if im wrong then im a big boy. tell me after the fact I was wrong.

seems to me, most of what is going on today is stuff I said would be happening and I was saying it along time ago

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
They should be fine unless they get silly - and Sweeney doesn’t strike me as the silly type.

Johansson will be worth more to other clubs than the complimentary third line player he is here.

The rest of the RFAs shouldn’t be too hard to get in either. If they abandon the plan that rebuilt the team with young leadership and talent throughout the line up and decide to swing for the fences with an absurd UFA then we should worry. The predicted cap getting shaved by a couple percent isn’t a killer for this club right now.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
They should be fine unless they get silly - and Sweeney doesn’t strike me as the silly type.

Johansson will be worth more to other clubs than the complimentary third line player he is here.

The rest of the RFAs shouldn’t be too hard to get in either. If they abandon the plan that rebuilt the team with young leadership and talent throughout the line up and decide to swing for the fences with an absurd UFA then we should worry. The predicted cap getting shaved by a couple percent isn’t a killer for this club right now.
This,makes Miller getting traded inevitable

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

cap friendly today has us at 68,696 with 19 salaries accounted for. we will want to get 4 other people added to the team for around 13 mill or less {most teams leave around a million unspent dollars to account for the unpredictability of the cap in the regular season}

we might have around 14 mill to spend if the players allow a higher cap [doubtful]

so who is not signed that needs contracts and what is their market value

we got rfa
McAvoy
carlo
Heinen

we got ufa
Johansson
accari

these would be the biggest names I guess...

early rumblings are McAvoy is looking for north of 6
carlo… seems to slot into that 4 area where I see his comparables
Heinen should have a pretty easy arbitration case for around 3

Houston we are already entering a problem area...

but we do have a 2.5 mill dman that can be dealt... sign our 3 rfa to 13... trade our surplus dman... promote an elc contract from providence to fill the missing forward hole... it can be done

if my numbers here are accurate... we should still be able to manage. it would be very very very tight... but we could manage.

a lot of you want backes gone... obviously that frees up more room but the question is how would it happen. could we move the entire cap hit? what would it cost us in terms of additional assets? and beleive it or not... would it hurt our chemistry? thats a real question

honestly, im looking forward to getting answers to these questions and many others. im a huge fan of cap talk. I got a little ahole behavor in my last thread and got banned from it :) so sadly I need a new cap thread of the week that I could participate in.

I strongly recommend people who dont like cap talk to stay out and save themselves some grief. this stuff is super important to how the team will really behave this year. im saying our hands are tied and we wont be making any big moves. some of you will rip Sweeney a new one. I like to keep things in perspective. I will try to share the reality of the situation here so you could follow the moves yourself.

and I might talk about about Toronto as we continue because their situation is absolutely fascinating. I also plan to show some scary stuff happening with a lot of second contract rfa getting signed because that is going to lead directly to our next work stoppage

the news might not be what anyone wants to hear... but sticking our head in the sand wont stop it. I doubt anything can stop it.

its a wave of disaster on its way... but I dare say Sweeney seems to be out ahead on the curve. im impressed by how hes handled things to this date. I am confident he will do a very good job this offseason too. im optimistic about our own situation as we head into next year

lets see what happens

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Yes, the hockey world will collapse with the salary cap being 1.5 million less than expected. Hell-fire will rain down upon teams close to the cap ceiling, they will be forced to shed star players by the dozens to become cap compliant.

no... but there was a couple teams that have much larger problems to deal with and they are major power players. Toronto is owned by tsn and sportsnet. I wonder did you see the meltdown going on leafs lunch today. more dmen getting traded and Toronto wasnt even in on it...

trust me the Toronto media/fan base is going to be in a complete revolt by the time this summer is over...

Winnipeg just pulled the trigger on their first cap dump. so far the storyline says trouba wanted to go to ny and was going to refuse to stay for any price. we shall see what they say when ehlers is moved soon. we will see how long it gets blamed on players and how long until it gets blamed on cap

I know edmontons talk is dominated about getting rid of lucic... Russell... other older players... but why? were they truely overpaid? could they be affordable if the kids werent in the heavens? most oiler media is controlled by the team and they are super careful to sell the poison koolaid. so far McDavid walks on air and is above any critism. but we shall see what the future holds

1.5 mill might not seem huge to you today. I will private message you in 2 months and show you how huge it was. we can go through all the deals then and we will see together what I meant today that you werent able to understand today

on the other hand... I always invite people to come after me when im wrong. if what I predict today doesnt matter... you will be allowed to tell me you told me so

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
no... but there was a couple teams that have much larger problems to deal with and they are major power players. Toronto is owned by tsn and sportsnet. I wonder did you see the meltdown going on leafs lunch today. more dmen getting traded and Toronto wasnt even in on it...

trust me the Toronto media/fan base is going to be in a complete revolt by the time this summer is over...

Winnipeg just pulled the trigger on their first cap dump. so far the storyline says trouba wanted to go to ny and was going to refuse to stay for any price. we shall see what they say when ehlers is moved soon. we will see how long it gets blamed on players and how long until it gets blamed on cap

I know edmontons talk is dominated about getting rid of lucic... Russell... other older players... but why? were they truely overpaid? could they be affordable if the kids werent in the heavens? most oiler media is controlled by the team and they are super careful to sell the poison koolaid. so far McDavid walks on air and is above any critism. but we shall see what the future holds

1.5 mill might not seem huge to you today. I will private message you in 2 months and show you how huge it was. we can go through all the deals then and we will see together what I meant today that you werent able to understand today

on the other hand... I always invite people to come after me when im wrong. if what I predict today doesnt matter... you will be allowed to tell me you told me so

A teams decision to move or not move big contracts like Trouba (potentially), Ehlers, Lucic, etc. are not going to be impacted by the cap being 1.5 million lower than expected.

The TO media blows it out of proportion because, well, they need stuff to talk about on their daily radio shows in June/July/August. The fans? I'd wager 98% of fans don't care about this salary cap stuff. Only hardcore nutcases like us. I sit in dressing rooms with dozens of rec players every week, and you rarely hear anyone talk about the salary cap, let alone the impact 1.5 million will make on their team's off-season. They watch the games and cheer for their respective teams. The salary cap, they don't care .

This is nothing to get bent out of shape over.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
A teams decision to move or not move big contracts like Trouba (potentially), Ehlers, Lucic, etc. are not going to be impacted by the cap being 1.5 million lower than expected.

The TO media blows it out of proportion because, well, they need stuff to talk about on their daily radio shows in June/July/August. The fans? I'd wager 98% of fans don't care about this salary cap stuff. Only hardcore nutcases like us. I sit in dressing rooms with dozens of rec players every week, and you rarely hear anyone talk about the salary cap, let alone the impact 1.5 million will make on their team's off-season. They watch the games and cheer for their respective teams. The salary cap, they don't care .

Now the middle and bottom will get squeezed a little more. The stars will always get their money. 500k here, 250k there.

Reactions: BruinDust

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

I remember in particular quite an epic debate you and I had over % contracts being handed out to these second term rfa. in particular trying to compare McDavid to Crosby. it was a fad at that time to really make a big deal out of it

then it got worst... not so much yourself but people started saying the cap is going to raise as much as X or Y dollars by 2-3-4 years... these rfa couldnt just sign long deals at today's money... they needed to make sure they were being paid based on the future

ok... ok... ok

sure for the players I can see how this benefits them... these kids... these kids that didnt pay their dues... I can see how this line of thinking was popular

when the cap failed to meet the December predictions 2 years in a row... I think my original point is starting to be a bit more clear. these numbers are being pulled out of thin air a lot... and they are very dependent on a lot of people eating crap to make the whole thing work.

I have seen someone we all respect today displaying some upset that the players union is under pressure by the players to lower escrow. well... guess who said the players wanted to lower escrow for the past 2 years and more now? im not at all surprised the players are demanding escrow go down. it seems to have caught the league by surprise... im not surprised. I predicted it.

I predict this is just the tip of the iceberg. you will see a lot of other inside sources saying everything is ok. hell the guys in charge of enron used to say the same thing. the guys in charge of aol managed to sell that sinking ship for almost 100 billion dollars.

the guys in charge can say whatever they NEED to say... but im predicting that bad things are going to happen very soon. ive spelled out the reasons why now in many threads going back years and years. today is an example of what I said is about to happen.

trying to pay guys based on % was a small wedge in the crack and it led to future spending based on fake accounting predictions.

cba is right around the corner... and im saying its going to be super ugly. I hope im wrong. if im wrong everyone can tell me to shut up then. ill be dead before the next cba so I dont need to worry about it. this is my last battle as a fan. I dont want another lost year of hockey so this is important to me. but unfortunately so many of the rest of you are letting them get away with it and you arent even saying no... stop... dont

some of you passionately argue for bigger contracts to be handed out to these second term players and you have no clue at all what is coming

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Now the middle and bottom will get squeezed a little more. The stars will always get their money. 500k here, 250k there.

you probably arent taking arbitration into account when you say this... the middle tier of the nhl is going to be given a ton of contracts us fans scream buy out the bum... hes not worth it.

you can already see a lot of moves being made this summer where teams are desperately trading off their middle teir players they signed in the last 2-3 years to these 4 million dollar type contracts because this is a real killer to everyone

but... theres not much way to stop it. arbitration is part of the process. once you have willingly given 11-12 mill to guys like Eichel and Matthews it becomes a lot easier for 50 point guys to say I have 1/2 the points I need 1/2 the money.

the slow grinding wheel turns and turns and crushes everything beneath it. it might not happen all at once but when guys like Heinen are going to get at least 3 mill this summer you will see more examples of what I mean. this system is going to eat its own tail and its happening as we watch and do nothing about it

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Yup, them and the, I'll call them "former stars" who had high hopes of cashing in a a UFA at age 29-30-31 will have to accept a bit less.

Elite level UFAs and top level guys in their prime will always get paid. They aren't about to feel the squeeze. GMs will find their savings elsewhere.

As a fan, I've come to accept that good teams who draft and develop well can't keep all of their players in a cap system. Nature of the beast. I don't see it as a problem. Same as all the concern over the upcoming expansion draft. A good player will be lost, it is what it is. Sometimes I think the denizens of HF Boards think about the expansion draft more than NHL GMs do.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
the TSN guys are putting out reports today that the cap wont be at 83 as everyone has assumed since December... we are now hearing numbers like 81.5 mill or possibly a little higher. offical number will come sometime this week I think but maybe dom or someone else can weigh in with the exact time if they know

why do they do this?

Mike, one simple answer, 1 long one:

1) Yes it comes out this week.

2) Donald Fehr and Gary Bettman talk all year long. And Fehr tells him he is going for the 5% escalator which would put the cap at $83 million. (remember a couple of years ago when the players actually voted against Fehr on the escalator?).

The players don't want to pay as much escrow (they know they have to pay some). They can't have their cake and eat it to. Escrow is a necessary evil to ensure the 50-50 split. But if they force the owners to give up escrow, they will likely never, ever get their 50% share again as owners don't want to give them more then there 50%. So like it or not, players need escrow as much as the owners do.

Like I said "they don't want to pay that much escrow" so the only way to avoid it is to vote against the 5% escalator.

Maybe TSN is talking to individual players and getting a sense of where their feelings are towards it? I don't know, because from what I was told at 8:00 am this morning from my contact at the NHLPA, the players hadn't even finished voting yet.

But as has been pointed out, it's not a big deal Mike. No team is allowed to go over the cap. It's that simple. There are people paid much more money then you and I combined to make sure a team is compliant. I might add they are much smarter then you and I as well.

And I'll say this with much respect. You worry way too much about it and I suspect 99% of posters here couldn't give a rats a$$ about it. And possibly maybe why these types of threads die to quickly.

So just a friendly suggestion: Maybe take it to the main boards in the Business of Hockey Section where there are actually people that discuss it at length?

I dunno, just a thought.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ

This is why I often don't read your posts. You often come off as high and mighty and condescending, especially when it comes to the salary cap. In the past I've PROVEN you were wrong about something with the cap and you still wouldn't back down.

Reactions: Alicat

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
It wasn’t a compliment, sorry.

no I get that... your posts are all attacks on me. I jsut dont think I ever posted anything positive back to you because you simply never are positive. this is the best you ever did and I wanted to give you at least some credit and I doubt you will ever manage anything this good ever again

so lets leave it at that. for you this is a gold standard and I appreciate the effort

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad