Rumor: Trouba will probably be available, should the Hawks jump?

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
I guess literally every 2020 first rounder is a “potential top pick” but I’d be pretty shocked if the hawks pick in the top 15 next season, especially if they were to add Trouba.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I guess literally every 2020 first rounder is a “potential top pick” but I’d be pretty shocked if the hawks pick in the top 15 next season, especially if they were to add Trouba.
With the lottery and the Hawks having missed 2 playoffs in a row ... with a stacked division, you never know.

borednow

Jan 3, 2019
With the lottery and the Hawks having missed 2 playoffs in a row ... with a stacked division, you never know.
Exactly, until the Hawks are legit contenders it's too risky to move unprotected 1st round picks, especially in the Central, not to mention that with our defensive pipeline Trouba would end up taking one of the kids' jobs while making 7+ million vs an ELC kid we will have control over for years to come. I think once again this kind of situation boils down to an asset management where Trouba would be nice to have but doesn't really make sense for the Hawks right now.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Then you understand my point. It will take A LOT to give up a first round pick.

This is your issue. You only take account of YOUR sensibilities. Take a step back and try to understand the big picture. Don't be so myopic. There is a reason why I wanted a King's Ransom for a potential high first round pick AND giving up my cherished cap space to re sign Trouba.

That's how much I value potential high first round picks AND cap space. Trading for Trouba will also prevent me from trying to re sign Panarin. I factor opportunity cost when it comes to trade as well.

I would have also included Mitchell as well ... but I doubt he signs with Winnipeg if traded and just rides out his senior year. So including Mitchell or Dahlstrom is just a throw in for the Jets.

I challenge you to open your mind and ask yourself, "why didn't he offer more for Trouba?" Could it be because Trouba wants a ton of money and is a RFA? Why would the Hawks want a short term rental (he'll sign another 1 year contract to get to UFA sooner without a lucrative deal) for a team that's a couple years away? He's already making $5.5mn. There's a reason why the Jets want to trade him.

I know it's hard, but make an attempt at critical thinking before spouting off. Thinking is a good thing. Try it.

You still don’t get it do you? It’s much better for The Jets to let Trouba walk for nothing than to bring on a load like Srabrook that will sink the ship. Seabrook has NEGATIVE value and a 1st and Forsling don’t offset that huge negative. Now you want to also exclude top 5 with protection and you are also putting in the condition that Trouba has to sign, do you understand the ridiculousness of what you are proposing? The Jets can easily get only positives back for Trouba without taking a big garbage truck along with it...

Any Colour You Like

Regular bean eater
Nov 13, 2011
Boston U
Nobody who needs Trouba for one year is going to take him without sending salary back. Winnipeg's struggle here is that they need more salary like they need an axe to the head. They have to shed, and fast.

And I don't even want him.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
You still don’t get it do you? It’s much better for The Jets to let Trouba walk for nothing than to bring on a load like Srabrook that will sink the ship. Seabrook has NEGATIVE value and a 1st and Forsling don’t offset that huge negative. Now you want to also exclude top 5 with protection and you are also putting in the condition that Trouba has to sign, do you understand the ridiculousness of what you are proposing? The Jets can easily get only positives back for Trouba without taking a big garbage truck along with it...
LOL. You're doubling down. Did you even read my post before spouting off?

There's a reason I said "take it or leave it." Winnipeg would have to take our junk to get our first round pick for Trouba ... because he does not match our timeline unless he takes a massive piece of our cap space. Why the hell would we want a potential 1 year rental for a lot of money when, without the lucrative extension, Trouba does NOT match our timeline. Do you even know what opportunity cost means?

The fact that you don't understand that I made the trade "ridiculously" slanted towards the Hawks only proves of your incapability to understand the big picture. If the Hawks are going to give up next year's first round pick ... the Jets are going to have to eat money too because otherwise, Trouba does not make much sense. You're incapable critical thinking. THAT'S MY POINT.

Last edited:

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
LOL. You're doubling down. Did you even read my post before spouting off?

There's a reason I said "take it or leave it." Winnipeg would have to take our junk to get our first round pick for Trouba ... because he does not match our timeline unless he takes a massive piece of our cap space. Why the hell would we want a potential 1 year rental for a lot of money when, without the lucrative extension, Trouba does NOT match our timeline. Do you even know what opportunity cost means?

The fact that you don't understand that I made the trade "ridiculously" slanted towards the Hawks only proves of your incapability to understand the big picture. If the Hawks are going to give up next year's first round pick ... the Jets are going to have to eat money too because otherwise, Trouba does not make much sense. You're incapable critical thinking. THAT'S MY POINT.

Dude your critical thinking is stupid because the first round pick is not enough to offset the negative Seabrook brings to them, you make zero sense. You keep trying to justify the moronic trade proposal but it keeps on failing.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Then you understand my point. It will take A LOT to give up a first round pick.

This is your issue. You only take account of YOUR sensibilities. Take a step back and try to understand the big picture. Don't be so myopic. There is a reason why I wanted a King's Ransom for a potential high first round pick AND giving up my cherished cap space to re sign Trouba.

That's how much I value potential high first round picks AND cap space. Trading for Trouba will also prevent me from trying to re sign Panarin. I factor opportunity cost when it comes to trade as well.

I would have also included Mitchell as well ... but I doubt he signs with Winnipeg if traded and just rides out his senior year. So including Mitchell or Dahlstrom is just a throw in for the Jets.

I challenge you to open your mind and ask yourself, "why didn't he offer more for Trouba?" Could it be because Trouba wants a ton of money and is a RFA? Why would the Hawks want a short term rental (he'll sign another 1 year contract to get to UFA sooner without a lucrative deal) for a team that's a couple years away? He's already making $5.5mn. There's a reason why the Jets want to trade him.

I know it's hard, but make an attempt at critical thinking before spouting off. Thinking is a good thing. Try it.

From talking about looking at the deal from multiple perspectives, the Jets would 100x be better off letting Trouba leave as a UFA than taking the anchor that is Seabrook's contract back.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Nobody who needs Trouba for one year is going to take him without sending salary back. Winnipeg's struggle here is that they need more salary like they need an axe to the head. They have to shed, and fast.

And I don't even want him.

Trouba is a legit top pair RHD. He is going to be ridiculously in demand as a UFA, which is the main reason why I don't want to trade for him. He is going to cash in.

And while there will likely be some salary going back to WIN in a JT deal, it will be in the form of a quality young player, not a bad contract.

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Dude your critical thinking is stupid because the first round pick is not enough to offset the negative Seabrook brings to them, you make zero sense. You keep trying to justify the moronic trade proposal but it keeps on failing.
Here's why you have NO critical thinking. You are incapable of thinking beyond your sensibilities. It's funny ... you also lack any creativity hence you go the elementary school playbook, "I'm rubber and you're glue ... everything bounces off of me and sticks to you." Seriously, how old are you?

I'll say it again ... Trouba does NOT fit our timeline unless we use a massive part our cap space and signs a lucrative extension. Hence, to give up a first round draft for a 1 year rental, Winnipeg would have to take money back. If they say no ... it's no big deal. That's why I said, "take it or leave it." It's not too hard to understand. Again, try to think before spouting off.

This isn't about Seabrook. This is about you and your refusal, or more likely, lack of ability to go outside your sensibility. The world does not revolve around you.

Last edited:

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
From talking about looking at the deal from multiple perspectives, the Jets would 100x be better off letting Trouba leave as a UFA than taking the anchor that is Seabrook's contract back.
And that's why there's no reason to give up a first round pick for Trouba. Trouba's value isn't as high to the Hawks because he is a RFA willing to take another 1 year deal to get to UFA. He does not fit our timeline UNLESS he eats up a massive chunk of our cap space going forward. It's the reason why the Jets want to trade him ... even as a RFA. They are not in a position of power.

Perhaps for a team like the Leafs who feel their championship window is closing before cap hell ... they'll take a 1 year rental. The Hawks are not in that situation. Thus, for the Hawks to give up their first round pick, the Jets are going to have to eat some money too. If they say no, who cares?

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
And that's why there's no reason to give up a first round pick for Trouba. Trouba's value isn't as high to the Hawks because he is a RFA willing to take another 1 year deal to get to UFA. He does not fit our timeline UNLESS he eats up a massive chunk of our cap space going forward. It's the reason why the Jets want to trade him ... even as a RFA. They are not in a position of power.

Perhaps for a team like the Leafs who feel their championship window is closing before cap hell ... they'll take a 1 year rental. The Hawks are not in that situation. Thus, for the Hawks to give up their first round pick, the Jets are going to have to eat some money too. If they say no, who cares?

The thing is, Trouba is going to be paid because he is WORTH it as a 24-25 YO top pair RHD. This is a guy who should be in his prime for the entirety of his next contract. If the next 7-8 years isn't the Hawks window, they should blow it up.

You obviously feel like he is not a fit which is totally fine, but IMO you'd be better off just saying that rather than trying to put Seabrook in a deal that lands him because that is just Leafs fan level stupid-crazy.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
The thing is, Trouba is going to be paid because he is WORTH it as a 24-25 YO top pair RHD. This is a guy who should be in his prime for the entirety of his next contract. If the next 7-8 years isn't the Hawks window, they should blow it up.

You obviously feel like he is not a fit which is totally fine, but IMO you'd be better off just saying that rather than trying to put Seabrook in a deal that lands him because that is just Leafs fan level stupid-crazy.
1. If paying Trouba is a no brainer, why aren't the Jets paying for him ... and rather trying to trade him? They could trade someone else and make room.

2. If Trouba is overvaluing himself, do you want the Hawks to over pay? There's something called opportunity cost. Overpaying is overpaying regardless of the position.

3. Trouba proved he's not scared of 1 year deals. He wants a lucrative long term contract. Why trade draft assets for a 1 year rental? If we give him the massive long term deal that he wants, do you realize we can have $22-23mn wrapped up in Keith, Seabrook, and Trouba for years? That's what % of the cap? How does that impact Cat and Strome? Again, it's called opportunity cost.

BOTTOMLINE: I have always said Seabrook's contract is nearly impossible to trade. If you don't believe me, ask anyone on this board. I've been in many debates about how we can get rid of Seabrook's contract. We've come to the understanding that the NHLPA must opt out of the current CBA in Sept 2019 ... and pray for compliance buyout clause for 2020.

No one on this board is dumb enough to believe Seabrook's contract is easy to trade. I understand your position ... it's fair one. I was trying to make a point that the Trouba trade for the Hawks would have to have the Jets taking back money for it to work (because of his contract situation). However, Blackhawks is sore because I call him out whenever he tries to bully other posters and refuses to listen to anyone else's opinions. When you punch a bully in the nose, they tend to cry and whine. That's what he's doing.

Last edited:

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Trouba is a top pairing defenseman with injury concerns. I wouldn’t want to be the team to pay the cost to acquire him AND the new contract he’ll want, but you’re out to lunch if you don’t think he’s not returning a good amount of value.

Just say he’s not a good fit here like everyone else is. The whole Seabrook for Trouba angle is goofy. I understand your point but to even suggest it is odd.

The Jets would like to keep him, but they can’t afford to. Good teams lose good players.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Trouba is a top pairing defenseman with injury concerns. I wouldn’t want to be the team to pay the cost to acquire him AND the new contract he’ll want, but you’re out to lunch if you don’t think he’s not returning a good amount of value.

Just say he’s not a good fit here like everyone else is. The whole Seabrook for Trouba angle is goofy. I understand your point but to even suggest it is odd.

The Jets would like to keep him, but they can’t afford to. Good teams lose good players.
Fair enough. Here's the better question: would you rather trade Byfuglien and keep the younger Trouba?

Don't get me wrong, Big Buff is still good ... but is now 34 with 2 years remaining on his contract at $7.6mn. He can be traded for a decent return.

That's my question with the Jets. Why are they so quick to trade a young Trouba? Does he not want to be there? Is it injuries? Is it a locker room issue? If it's a money issue, they can make room.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
There isn’t enough room for Trouba + our current Dmen under contract + our D prospects. Major moves would have to be made to fit him and I don’t want to give up assets for him to maybe sign with us. For what’s most likely going to be an $8x8 contract at that.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Fair enough. Here's the better question: would you rather trade Byfuglien and keep the younger Trouba?

Don't get me wrong, Big Buff is still good ... but is now 34 with 2 years remaining on his contract at $7.6mn. He can be traded for a decent return.

That's my question with the Jets. Why are they so quick to trade a young Trouba? Does he not want to be there? Is it injuries? Is it a locker room issue? If it's a money issue, they can make room.
Injuries mixed with Buff being a much larger presence in the locker room and they probably know that Trouba is looking for what? Nine million per? And the guy requested a trade out of Winnipeg a few years back?

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I am sure the Jets want to resiy him, but he has made it clear over the last couple of years that he wants out of the 'Peg. Other posts mention his wife and his desire to get back to the States, so take that for what it is worth.

From a "too many D prospects to trade for Trouba", IMO a couple of those could theoretically be the value to get that kind of deal done, and a legit top pair all around RD RIGHT now fits in well if you're trying to be competitive while JT & PK are still in their prime.

He is going to be expensive, and I would rather go with the kids personally, but you can build a case that he is exactly what the Hawks need.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I am sure the Jets want to resiy him, but he has made it clear over the last couple of years that he wants out of the 'Peg. Other posts mention his wife and his desire to get back to the States, so take that for what it is worth.

From a "too many D prospects to trade for Trouba", IMO a couple of those could theoretically be the value to get that kind of deal done, and a legit top pair all around RD RIGHT now fits in well if you're trying to be competitive while JT & PK are still in their prime.

He is going to be expensive, and I would rather go with the kids personally, but you can build a case that he is exactly what the Hawks need.
If that's the case, Winnipeg has little leverage. Trouba is going to sign another 1 year deal through arbitration to become a UFA in July 2020 ... although he will be gambling with a possible new CBA in 2020 if the NHLPA or NHL opts out in September 19, 2019.

Trouba asked for $7mn in arbitration last year. He got $5.5mn. You figure he'll get another $1mn raise this year. You're looking at a $8-9mn per year asking price in the open market.

There is no reason to push the Trouba issue with the Hawks. We can wait another year and sign him without giving up assets when we're ready to compete. That is if the Hawks really want him. Furthermore, even if the Hawks want him this year, there's no reason to offer much. Just like the Hawks in past years, Winnipeg is in a tough spot due to the salary cap, Trouba's expected unrestupricted free agency in the summer of 2020, and his desire to leave Winnipeg allegedly.

Last edited:

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Stay away from trouba. Overrated and has already shown to be a diva about his contract and Stan is the last one you want sitting at a negotiating table with an agent playing hardball on cap hit

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
If that's the case, Winnipeg has little leverage. Trouba is going to sign another 1 year deal through arbitration to become a UFA in July 2020 ... although he will be gambling with a possible new CBA in 2020 if the NHLPA or NHL opts out in September 19, 2019.

Trouba asked for $7mn in arbitration last year. He got $5.5mn. You figure he'll get another $1mn raise this year. You're looking at a $8-9mn per year asking price in the open market.

There is no reason to push the Trouba issue with the Hawks. We can wait another year and sign him without giving up assets when we're ready to compete. That is if the Hawks really want him. Furthermore, even if the Hawks want him this year, there's no reason to offer much. Just like the Hawks in past years, Winnipeg is in a tough spot due to the salary cap, Trouba's expected unrestupricted free agency in the summer of 2020, and his desire to leave Winnipeg allegedly.
Winnipeg has a ton of leverage. They can literally trade him anywhere they want to and get a very good return on him to boot. He doesn't have a no trade clause, and the team trading for him would probably ask to talk to him first to have an idea if Trouba wants to play there long term or not. It's not like Trouba is only giving them one or two teams he wants to sign with.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Winnipeg has a ton of leverage. They can literally trade him anywhere they want to and get a very good return on him to boot. He doesn't have a no trade clause, and the team trading for him would probably ask to talk to him first to have an idea if Trouba wants to play there long term or not. It's not like Trouba is only giving them one or two teams he wants to sign with.
Trouba is only signing the extension if that team gives him the money he wants. He also will be particular to a location.

The NBA is the best example. Paul George, Kawhi Leonard, Jimmy Butler, etc. were tough to trade. Paul George netted Oladipo / Sabonis ... at the time not a great return. Butler returned Saric and Covington. Leonard got DeRoazan and Poetl back. It'll be interesting what Anthony Davis fetches ... who is far above the status of Trouba.

If you truly believe a team under cap pressure, pending UFA, and a disgruntled player ... I only have to use the Blackhawks as an example. It's not like the Hawks had a ton of leverage ... and the players were perfectly happy in Chicago.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Trouba is not really an option as he will only sign in certain places (Florida and Detroit I believe).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad