Rumor: Trouba will probably be available, should the Hawks jump?

Malagahawks

We tanked hard and got Bedard!! Happy Days!!
Oct 23, 2018
Malaga, Spain
WIEBE: Where does Trouba land? Jets must explore all options

The article lays out the groundwork for potential scenario regarding Trouba's availability & nos future with the Jets. It is well known Trojba requested a trade in 2016 but nothing happened. He has had his best year to date with 50 points & 18 on the PP.

So the final scenario suggests a blockbuster trade involving multiple pieces. Would you give up Homer, 2020 1st ++ for Trouba & another Jets player? This would be you could get Trouba signed long term like Vegas did with Stone. From the article:

WIEBE: Where does Trouba land? Jets must explore all options
On the surface, his value has never been higher.
Yet, how that impacts where Jacob Trouba will play next season (and beyond) remains very much in question with just under a month before the 2019 NHL Draft gets underway in Vancouver.
Why is the date of the draft important as it pertains to Trouba?
Well, it’s the place where all 31 general managers and key decision makers from the respective organizations get together every year.
It’s also the place where agents work behind the scenes for their clients, especially in the years since the unofficial wooing period opens before free agency gets going on July 1.

The Jets are much more likely to fetch a substantial return if Trouba is willing to sign on the dotted line with his new employer.

Trade Trouba as part of a larger package

This is the type of move that could help increase the potential return and take a step toward changing the personnel mix as well. It’s a bit early to tell what type of package the Jets could include, but it would not be surprising to see Cheveldayoff try for a blockbuster like the one from 2015 that included Evander Kane and Zach Bogosian going to the Buffalo Sabres. In fact, it’s probably the most likely scenario that could play out, depending on the principles in the deal and type of return it could generate. Whether the Jets try to shed some salary in a deal with Trouba, like they did in moving Joel Armia to the Montreal Canadiens with Steve Mason, or if they include another player or two with term on his contract is something that will be fascinating to monitor during the coming weeks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Castle8130

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
I'd offer Murphy+2020 1st (Top 10 protected) if he would sign an extension. The Jets are going to be up against the cap and Murphy's cap hit is reasonable for them moving forward. I also think we are one of a few teams able to offer a Top 4 right shot defensemen to fill the hole Trouba would leave. Some will say to offer sheet him but if he really wants out why would he sign an offer sheet in the event that the Jets match and he's stuck there?

borednow

Jan 3, 2019
Easy pass on Trouba. He's going to cost too much both in cap space and assets to acquire and we have too many defensemen already. While I would normally love to try to get Trouba at 90 cents on the dollar with the Jets in cap hell, from an asset and cap management standpoint trading for Trouba makes no sense for the Hawks right now. Better to just wait for our young defensemen to mature.

BHFAN92

Jan 21, 2016
Mid-West
I would offer Gustafsson, Mitchell, and 2020 3rd rd pick for Trouba...Then sign him to a contract that has NTC for 1st 2yrs of deal to avoid losing him in expansion draft. I feel like alot of you posters on here are losing sight of what is about to happen in this expansion draft coming up in next 2 yrs...Bowman has handed out NTC in all his contracts like candy and this will come into play in expansion draft when people like Keith and Seabrook have to be removed from available pool due to their NTC. This will squarley put alot of are younger good players at risk of getting snagged. Bowman needs to strike now and do something significant to avoid losing guys for nothing and I think this type of deal for Trouba would make sense and he would go along way in quickly overhauling a dogshit defense core

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I would offer Gustafsson, Mitchell, and 2020 3rd rd pick for Trouba...Then sign him to a contract that has NTC for 1st 2yrs of deal to avoid losing him in expansion draft. I feel like alot of you posters on here are losing sight of what is about to happen in this expansion draft coming up in next 2 yrs...Bowman has handed out NTC in all his contracts like candy and this will come into play in expansion draft when people like Keith and Seabrook have to be removed from available pool due to their NTC. This will squarley put alot of are younger good players at risk of getting snagged. Bowman needs to strike now and do something significant to avoid losing guys for nothing and I think this type of deal for Trouba would make sense and he would go along way in quickly overhauling a dog**** defense core

A lot? At this point Jokiharju is the only young high-ceiling defenseman that could be eligible for the expansion draft, and there will be a protection slot available for him even with all the NMC guys.

If you're considering Gustafsson and Murphy as young defensemen, then ya, they'll be available too. But it sounds like you're referring to just the younger guys.

Mitchell, Boqvist, and Beaudin are already exempt from the expansion draft. They would've had to play 10+ professional games this season to be eligible.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I would offer Gustafsson, Mitchell, and 2020 3rd rd pick for Trouba...Then sign him to a contract that has NTC for 1st 2yrs of deal to avoid losing him in expansion draft. I feel like alot of you posters on here are losing sight of what is about to happen in this expansion draft coming up in next 2 yrs...Bowman has handed out NTC in all his contracts like candy and this will come into play in expansion draft when people like Keith and Seabrook have to be removed from available pool due to their NTC. This will squarley put alot of are younger good players at risk of getting snagged. Bowman needs to strike now and do something significant to avoid losing guys for nothing and I think this type of deal for Trouba would make sense and he would go along way in quickly overhauling a dog**** defense core
why not use the asset of Gus, Mitchell and even add Perlini for another 1st rounder in the top 6 of this yr draft.

Reactions: BHFAN92

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
why not use the asset of Gus, Mitchell and even add Perlini for another 1st rounder in the top 6 of this yr draft.
Because no team is going to take quantity for a top pick. Which team in the top 6 is going to take that package in lieu of possibly drafting an elite player?

Reactions: Giovi

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013

This would be too much for a year of Trouba

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Seabrook + 2020 first round pick (top 5 protected) + Forsling for Trouba.

Take it or leave it ... though it's hard to imagine Seabrook waiving his NMC. Trouba would have to agree to an extension.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007

Take it or leave it ... though it's hard to imagine Seabrook waiving his NMC. Trouba would have to agree to an extension.

You make it sound like we are doing them a favour with all those conditions lol. That trade would be laughed at, you do know Seabrook has 5 more years under his contract at 6.8M playing barely 3rd pairing caliber hockey right? Why on earth would a playoff team handicap themselves for half a decade to get an unproven Forsling and a first which won’t ammount to much for a couple years and possibly ever? These proposals puzzle the brain and it just shows how unaware most people are of how bad that seabrook contract really is... No wonder Stan still gets praise in here lol

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013

Chevy hangs up the phone after hearing Sea....

Reactions: hawksrule

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
You make it sound like we are doing them a favour with all those conditions lol. That trade would be laughed at, you do know Seabrook has 5 more years under his contract at 6.8M playing barely 3rd pairing caliber hockey right? Why on earth would a playoff team handicap themselves for half a decade to get an unproven Forsling and a first which won’t ammount to much for a couple years and possibly ever? These proposals puzzle the brain and it just shows how unaware most people are of how bad that seabrook contract really is... No wonder Stan still gets praise in here lol
Then you understand my point. It will take A LOT to give up a first round pick.

This is your issue. You only take account of YOUR sensibilities. Take a step back and try to understand the big picture. Don't be so myopic. There is a reason why I wanted a King's Ransom for a potential high first round pick AND giving up my cherished cap space to re sign Trouba.

That's how much I value potential high first round picks AND cap space. Trading for Trouba will also prevent me from trying to re sign Panarin. I factor opportunity cost when it comes to trade as well.

I would have also included Mitchell as well ... but I doubt he signs with Winnipeg if traded and just rides out his senior year. So including Mitchell or Dahlstrom is just a throw in for the Jets.

I challenge you to open your mind and ask yourself, "why didn't he offer more for Trouba?" Could it be because Trouba wants a ton of money and is a RFA? Why would the Hawks want a short term rental (he'll sign another 1 year contract to get to UFA sooner without a lucrative deal) for a team that's a couple years away? He's already making $5.5mn. There's a reason why the Jets want to trade him.

I know it's hard, but make an attempt at critical thinking before spouting off. Thinking is a good thing. Try it.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Chevy hangs up the phone after hearing Sea....
That's my point. To give up a potential high first round pick for a RFA who wants a ton of money AND is willing to do another 1 year deal to get to UFA ... I'm not giving up a lot. I can try to sign UFAs with my cap space without giving up assets and draft picks.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad