Proposal: Trouba to the Leafs, a Star Wars story

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Preface: I must admit - I always loved perusing a “Trouba to the Leafs” proposal. Fan bases would go NUTS denigrating each other’s players. I think it’s time we released a sequel, especially given that everyone realizes that the Leafs D got exposed as being inadequate and holding back what is otherwise an excellent team.

Alright, let’s get to it, shall we? Let’s first read and accept the following assumption because invariably, posters will trip up on disagreeing with the assumption and get mad at why Trouba is being traded and not someone else (Myers).

Assumption: Trouba is not interested in signing long-term with the Jets and the Jets decide to trade him this offseason to maximize his trade value (two years of control). Furthermore, let’s assume Trouba is willing to sign long-term with the Leafs.

OK, got that everyone? If you see a poster disagreeing with this concept, refer them back to the bolded comment and perhaps explain what an assumption is. Then take a shot at his team (I kid - well, not really, but the mods would like me to add that disclaimer I suspect).

After all this rambling, I guess I should get right down to a proposal, right? I will keep the proposal simple.

To the Leafs: Jacob Trouba

To the Jets...

Well, let’s just take a moment here because whatever I propose will cause fireworks and arguments. I have put myself in a bad situation with two rabid fan bases.

Leaf fans will dismiss the proposal because that Trouba kid who plays a shutdown RHD role on the Jets really isn’t that good, meanwhile the guys going to the Jets have INCREDIBLE value. Stoopid Guffman! GET HIM and SCREW THE JETS!!

Jets fans will scoff at the proposal too and say “We can get better than THAT in the open market! Check out these FANCY STATS that say how incredible Trouba is. I demand we get a Trouba clone back!” (as if that would ever happen]. Stoopid Guffman! GET HIM and while we’re here, let’s take shots at the Leafs fans who don’t share my opinions of certain players I don’t actually watch much of.

At this point, I am tempted to not even make a proposal but then the thread might get shut down and I do want a sequel thread to fling monkey doo doo at each other.

OK, deep breath. Here we go. (BTW, this is the first trade proposal I have made on his forum - how am I doing so far?)

To the Jets...

Kadri
Liljegren

<insert explosions and mobs grabbing pitchforks to storm the castle>

Rationale:

Jets spend too much cap space on defence and we have that silly assumption we are working with. Jets need a centre (Stastny will be too expensive) and Kadri provides very good value to his cap hit and is signed long-term. He is not enough to pluck a top-pairng RHD. Liljegren is added to continue to develop since at some point to maintain our impending dynasty, we’ll need higher-end potential RHD to replace an aging Buff in a couple of,years.

Leafs obviously need a solid defenceman and they need it now. Trouba can play big minutes, he plays a shut-down role but he has an offensive side that the Jets don’t exploit because they have other defencemen to handle that role. Time for Nylander to play centre anyways.

DING! DING! DING! LET’S FIGHT!!

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Longest lead up to a offer ever.....haha.

I don’t love that trade for Trouba albeit value wise it’s not bad. Just think Kadri is a bad fit on our team, I don’t see any chemistry between him and Laine/Ehlers. The Little experiment with Laine/Ehlers failed, I see Kadri as the same poor fit.

Personally as a Jets fan I would pass on it. Switch out Kadri and add Nylander and you have my interest then. Caveat would be only if our scouts are convinced Nylander could successfully switch to centre. If they weren’t 100% confident in Nylander being able to switch to centre then I pass on this trade also. Don’t need a winger period or centre who wouldn’t have chemistry with Laine/Ehlers.

Reactions: Snowman

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Your just trying to get them fired up now Maukkis. Haha
That is my opinion, and if somebody disagrees with it, that's not my loss.

The loss of Trouba would be enormous. If we are willingly taking that blow, I want an enormous return back.

Reactions: Snowman

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Don’t need a winger period or centre who wouldn’t have chemistry with Laine/Ehlers.

Medium-term (short-term?), Laine will be playing on the top line with Schiefele. I was not looking for the perfect centre to slot between Laine and Ehlers. Jets are flexible in their deployment and could move their skilled guys around.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Medium-term (short-term?), Laine will be playing on the top line with Schiefele. I was not looking for the perfect centre to slot between Laine and Ehlers. Jets are flexible in their deployment and could move their skilled guys around.

Not so sure Laine will play top line long term, PMO is doing the same thing as Babcock this year spreading out his scoring over multi lines to make it harder to check vs. All year PMO has avoided the loading up one line strategy.......working well not sure why he would change that.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
That is my opinion, and if somebody disagrees with it, that's not my loss.

The loss of Trouba would be enormous. If we are willingly taking that blow, I want an enormous return back.

Oh I know that's your opinion I've seen you post it in many Trouba threads......but some boing boing will look at it and wtf AM straight up for Trouba are you crazy.....when in reality I know that's not what your saying.

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
If the OP's assumptions would be correct, then this trade would be a good one. Maybe a slight overpayment from Leafs (I don't know enough of Liljegren, that's why "maybe") but a solid top 4 D in the NHL is a piece that doesn't come cheap - sometimes it costs you a Taylor Hall.

In reality I just don't see the assumption holding up, because:

*I think Trouba doesn't have a reason not to stay with the Jets, the team is good and built to win
*Only good reason would be $$$ and Leafs don't have that much cap space either

Good thread, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad