Value of: Trouba/Morrissey

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I think Josh is getting a little overrated here no? He is a good defensemen, but some of these posts are crazy.

Regardless, I think it'd make the most sense for them to move Trouba. They'd get some good value back and they have 2 other solid RHD.

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
I think Josh is getting a little overrated here no? He is a good defensemen, but some of these posts are crazy.

Regardless, I think it'd make the most sense for them to move Trouba. They'd get some good value back and they have 2 other solid RHD.

The guy is brilliant on the ice, he has been from day 1. Never makes a stupid play. What's the going rate on someone like that, who walked into the #1 LHD spot immediately, and doesn't stop improving? We don't know what he's capable of, and the sky is the limit on him, really. You can't give away a potential superstar for peanuts.

Morris/Trouba is the core. You'll notice that our core players going forward are the 1st round picks (plus Lowsy and Helle). Having Trouba/Morrissey locked up for 6-7 years gives us a top pairing for 6-7 prime years. Chevy will trade away others like Myers, but we keep our own.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Zero reason to move Trouba, Trouba is one of the core we want to sign long term. If any RHD gets moved for cap reasons it would be Myers this summer.

Reactions: Snowman

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB

Let me tell you a little story about Jo Mo.

See.....we were all hounding about Trouba and how he may hold out and such.

We thought we could be screwed. The talk turned to Morrissey and how he could potentially be a bust. Not great numbers in the A. He's not very physical. Oh...no!

Then this guy just casually gets called up....and starts playing like he's a 10 year vet. Calm with the puck. Great positioning. Never getting caught. Just a smooth criminal.

Okay.....great.....he's hyped up from his call up. Lets see if he can continue to play like this.

This guy.....this guy has the AUDACITY to keep playing like that ever since.

The End.

P.S. in the last game he had an assist and a couple of huge plays on D. Guy is fantastic.

Reactions: Jimmyjets

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

All I can say is watch him play. extremely high defensive hockey IQ. the guy is really efficient in his positioning and is rarely out of position in the D zone. he can hold his own pretty damn well physically to even though he does not look the part, and just a cherry on top - the guy is A+ off the ice as well. he is the best and most consistent Jet defensively. His offense is growing, shows flashes of 0.5PPG(+) potential and is really good and jumping in off the rush on offense. he led the Jets in even strength points from the back-end was ranked 36th in the league (had 0:20 PP ATOI and was never really a mainstay on the PP).

i am hoping they get him at a % of cap hit similar to Brett Pesce in 5.5ish-6.5%

Last edited:

Saidin

Mar 18, 2015
Let me tell you a little story about Jo Mo.

See.....we were all hounding about Trouba and how he may hold out and such.

We thought we could be screwed. The talk turned to Morrissey and how he could potentially be a bust. Not great numbers in the A. He's not very physical. Oh...no!

Then this guy just casually gets called up....and starts playing like he's a 10 year vet. Calm with the puck. Great positioning. Never getting caught. Just a smooth criminal.

Okay.....great.....he's hyped up from his call up. Lets see if he can continue to play like this.

This guy.....this guy has the AUDACITY to keep playing like that ever since.

The End.

P.S. in the last game he had an assist and a couple of huge plays on D. Guy is fantastic.

That year in the A, I heard he was dealing with a groin issue all season. Didn't complain about it once. I also thought he was a bust, but man, he's our best overall defenseman IMO. Would take A LOT to trade him.

Reactions: GoJetsGo55

brock0791

Jul 2, 2015
TBH i dont think Enstrom signs with another team other than the Jets. I think he goes back home to Sweden unless he signs a 1 year deal for cheap. I am not the biggest Enstrom fan, he is decent positionally and with his stick defensively and a good pass out the zone. However, he gets supremely overwhelmed physically and the offense has dried up. There are other similarly sized Dman as him that are much stronger than he is. He is an oft-injured bottom pairing LHD at this point.

Enstrom won't have a problem getting a contract. Would be a servicable bottom pair guy for the Leafs on a short enough deal (3m x1 or 2x2) to not affect their upcoming UFA signings

EDMOILERS9729

Dec 25, 2017
Price of Myers to EDM? If it involves our top 10 pick there better be some young wingers coming to EDM as well.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Enstrom won't have a problem getting a contract. Would be a servicable bottom pair guy for the Leafs on a short enough deal (3m x1 or 2x2) to not affect their upcoming UFA signings
From what I understand he has some personal matters that have been plaguing him. If the Jets do not offer him a contract I expect him to go back to Sweden, could be 100% wrong though
Price of Myers to EDM? If it involves our top 10 pick there better be some young wingers coming to EDM as well.
i peg his value at a 1st rounder from a playoff team or an iteration of 2nd rounder(s)+good D or C prospect. if you can acquire both Philly picks (14th and 19th right now) I would do it for the later one.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Nice pairing both still young and heading into their primes. I may be in the minority here but Morrissey is the Jets best and most dependable D man. He is as steady as they come. Always feel a comfort level when he is on the ice.

Reactions: Oseductive

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017

Both Trouba and Morrissey are great.

Morrissey is an excellent skater(especially for a Defensmen), his ability to shut players and qaulity shots down(/ Defensive IQ) work so well with that skating, Morrissey is also very good Offensively as well but often plays too safe offensively and hardly ever makes a offensive play that can turnaround on the Jets(opposite to Trouba, who does that quite often) but that might be attributed to the fact that the Jets have the best Top 9 Forward group in the league so it might not be necessary for him to jump on the rush, pinch, make risky passes for succes.

Trouba is more dangerous on the offensive side but he is more skilled with the puck on his stick but when he doesn’t have it he is really good at shutting down plays, though he doesn’t have the speed and Defensive IQ Morrissey has to fix plays plays last second he can stop plays before it happens.

In my opinion Morrissey is better, especially for the Jets roster, his ability to shut things down and fix other players defensive mistakes is astonishing(not to mention the fact he hasn’t gotten PP minutes yet with the best One-timer in the league). Trouba could be a 50pt D-man but the Jets don’t need that when they already have that top end offensive skill in the Forwards and to top the cake the Jets already have that high scoring D-man in Buff as well. Both are worth around 5.5m IMO.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
R.I.P Jets if this happens.

Soon ending ELC’s:

Laine
Connor
Roslovic
Niku

Soon ending contracts:

Hellebuyck
Wheeler

Niku hasn't earned a raise, Roslovic is likely a bridge. Neither will carry a big cap hit.

There's cap room already, plenty of contracts will run out that will give more cap space& the cap will go up.

I don't think Morrissey will make 6M though with his offensive numbers, Trouba can hit that number.
I'd try Pesce deal for Morrissey which would be a massive steal right away, 4Mx6y.

some jets fans saying morrisey is better and others saying trouba is and that hes a number 1 dman...
any consensus?

Morrissey has been the best defensive D-man for the Jets, Trouba is tough to judge with his injuries this season.
Last year& last night Trouba was awesome.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
You don't have a top 10 pick. And we don't have to trade Drai because of cap reasons.
The Oilers cap situation is worse than the Jets though?

How much value do you really think a 9th overall pick has in comparison to a young top pairing right shot Dman?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Is Trouba definitely on the way out? Why would WPG want to move him? Isn't the team better off just keeping him?

They don't, and why would Trouba want out?

#1RD spot can be his for the next 10 years, he could have his LD partner in Morrissey for the next 10 years, one of the deepest teams in the league with a bright looking future& Winnipeg's absolutely hockey crazy town.

Ehlers/Connor- Scheifele- Laine
Morrissey- Trouba
Helle
Is the new core.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Niku hasn't earned a raise, Roslovic is likely a bridge. Neither will carry a big cap hit.

There's cap room already, plenty of contracts will run out that will give more cap space& the cap will go up.

I don't think Morrissey will make 6M though with his offensive numbers, Trouba can hit that number.
I'd try Pesce deal for Morrissey which would be a massive steal right away, 4Mx6y

I’m just saying Chevy should look at the future before he hands out to much money.

Niku could potentially be an Elite Scoring D-man, and winning the Eddie Shore award might not get him more money today but if he can bring that skill to the NHL, he is getting paid near 4-6m.

Roslovic could be the Jets 2C long term, a bridge would not be a bad idea but if he delivers as a high end 2C he’s getting paid atleast 4m + long term.

This is all about potential of those two players.

Again long term there isn’t a lot of room past the 2019 season.

If I where Chevy I’d sign Morrissey too as low as possible(yes I realize he’s got Superstar potential as he’s not even seen the PP and is the highest scoring 5v5 D-man on the Jets while being our best Shutdown man all at the same time), maybe that’s 5m or 6m but if Chevy has to consider moving Trouba or Byfuglien, but like I said Trouba has a bad history from last season(and from previous comment he seems to also have a arce of an agent) so I think if anyone of our key peices get moved I think his name should be first(than Buff for his expensive contract).

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I’m just saying Chevy should look at the future before he hands out to much money.

Niku could potentially be an Elite Scoring D-man, and winning the Eddie Shore award might not get him more money today but if he can bring that skill to the NHL, he is getting paid near 4-6m.

Roslovic could be the Jets 2C long term, a bridge would not be a bad idea but if he delivers as a high end 2C he’s getting paid atleast 4m + long term.

This is all about potential of those two players.

Again long term there isn’t a lot of room past the 2019 season.

If I where Chevy I’d sign Morrissey too as low as possible(yes I realize he’s got Superstar potential as he’s not even seen the PP and is the highest scoring 5v5 D-man on the Jets while being our best Shutdown man all at the same time), maybe that’s 5m or 6m but if Chevy has to consider moving Trouba or Byfuglien, but like I said Trouba has a bad history from last season(and from previous comment he seems to also have a arce of an agent) so I think if anyone of our key peices get moved I think his name should be first(than Buff for his expensive contract).

I think you're making this more difficult than it is.

Yes Niku has great potential, but that's not going to be paid on his next contract, he's in the AHL with 2 more years left. Likely he'll get 1 full NHL season under his belt before this contract is over, which makes it highly unlikely he's getting big money on his next contract, and atleast he's still on ELC when Laines ELC stops.
Roslociv too has 2 more years left. Both of these contract take over the year which is the test for Chevy.

2019 is next year, and again those 2 are signed for 2 years. In that 2 years time cap could have gone up by 10M combined, Myers's 5.5M contract has run out, Masons 4.1M contract has run out, Kulikovs 4.33M contract has run out, Stuarts buy out is gone, Enstroms 5.75M contract is gone, Matthias 2.125M contract is gone. Not forgetting the millions the team already has in cap space.

Even if somehow that's not enough Perreault has 1 more year left at that point, if there's cap problems he's the guy you move and hopefully have Vesalainen on ELC in your top9.

In 2 years time(after this season) the whole of new core is on their non ELC contract, and outside of Niku+ Roslo there's no one needing a new contract that year, in between about a 10 multi million contracts have run out.

You don't trade your core players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad