Trotz longest serving coach in NHL!

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I hate to see anyone get fired, but when the sabres fired ruff that officially makes Barry the longest current serving coach in the league!! And I don't see him going anywhere anytime soon either so way to go to our one and only coach ever! Keep up the great work!!

Maybe he can beat the all time longest coaching streak with one team?!?!

Jonesey

R.I.P. Steve AKA Pred303
Feb 17, 2009
Tennessee
If he can't figure out our scoring woes, he may not be far behind Mr. Ruff, according to many posters here.

Jonesey

R.I.P. Steve AKA Pred303
Feb 17, 2009
Tennessee
I agree, but there comes a time when status quo will always be status quo. It seems every year that we have the same discussions, and I don't know if I'd rather lose one, keep one, lose both, or keep both.

Poile gets knocked for being too conservative, but the teams he builds are always in the thick of the playoff hunt. Is that due to him or what Trotz gets out of the teams he's presented?

NSHPreds1835

Glads/Preds
May 24, 2011
Monroe GA
I agree, but there comes a time when status quo will always be status quo. It seems every year that we have the same discussions, and I don't know if I'd rather lose one, keep one, lose both, or keep both.

Poile gets knocked for being too conservative, but the teams he builds are always in the thick of the playoff hunt. Is that due to him or what Trotz gets out of the teams he's presented?

I would probably say that Trotz gets the most out of what he is given. I mean other than Weber(and Suter when he was there)and Rinne nobody else really stands out. Would have been interesting to see what Radulov could have done in a full season for the Preds last year(30-35 goal scorer?)

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA

He's never gone to the SCF ... McPhee crafted the team that got waxed by the Wings in the SCF

It's painful to watch sometimes, I think they've got to make a move sooner, rather than later (if he wants to save his job, they've got to go deep in this year's playoffs)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997–98_Washington_Capitals_season

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996–97_Washington_Capitals_season

Jonesey

R.I.P. Steve AKA Pred303
Feb 17, 2009
Tennessee
He's never gone to the SCF ... McPhee crafted the team that got waxed by the Wings in the SCF

It's painful to watch sometimes, I think they've got to make a move sooner, rather than later (if he wants to save his job, they've got to go deep in this year's playoffs)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997–98_Washington_Capitals_season

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996–97_Washington_Capitals_season

I'll play devils advocate here. If not Poile, then who?

It's very hard to find a good GM in this league. Look at Columbus, on GM #5 or so.

I'd love to have Shero but I'm pretty sure he's happy where he is.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Trotz makes the best of what he is given. It is poile's fault if anyone for no deep playoff runs. He has never made a move for big game forward we desperately need since forsberg. He is way to conservative

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
Shero follows Poile's blueprint, he just happened to have a couple of gifted #1s.
Very partially true.

Ex 1: James Neal. Pens need more scoring, they find a way to get.

Ex 2: Kunitz.

Ex 3: Firing Therin after the team went to SCF the year before. An agressive move Poile would never do an a million years. End result: Pens win SCF.

Ex 4: Trading Jordan Staal when it was obvious he wans't going to sign long term. Another move Poile would never do an a million years (see Suter, Hamhuis). Now the Pens are even more stocked up for the future.

There are others, but without a doubt, Shero is way more agressive than Poile. And he's smart in his aggressiveness. Poile's idea of aggressiveness is to overpay at auction for pending FAs. That's the only thing he knows to do apparently when it comes to improving the roster.

The last 2 years have shown why Poile can't take a team to the elite level. He hasn't in 30 years and I don't expect it to change. He will only take us as far as we've gotten. Do the same stuff, expect the same results-- story of Poile's career. Don't expect it to change.

Last edited:

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
For better or worse, Preds' owners have come out and said they're not hockey savvy enough to make hockey decisions. I think that based on past contribution and reputation for making chicken salad out of chicken ****, trotz and Poile can basically stay as long as they would like. That was the mindset in Buffalo for a very long time, and it took a new owner to change it.

I don't think coaching is the entire problem, though there are some hallmarks of Trotz teams that have followed him through his career. Poile worries me a little more, given that he's got a pretty miserable track record that spans 30 years at this point.

I don't know what it would take to actually incite a change, and you can say "the Predators make the playoffs every year," but they also haven't gone beyond the second round. I gather it would take 4 or 5 straight years of bad teams for someone to lose patience, and with Pekka and Weber, that's not likely to happen so...sadly, we have what we have: a team that will always be pretty competitive and win games, but will never get over that last hump to be a true contender. It's the David Poile thumbprint.

Jonesey

R.I.P. Steve AKA Pred303
Feb 17, 2009
Tennessee
For better or worse, Preds' owners have come out and said they're not hockey savvy enough to make hockey decisions. I think that based on past contribution and reputation for making chicken salad out of chicken ****, trotz and Poile can basically stay as long as they would like. That was the mindset in Buffalo for a very long time, and it took a new owner to change it.

I don't think coaching is the entire problem, though there are some hallmarks of Trotz teams that have followed him through his career. Poile worries me a little more, given that he's got a pretty miserable track record that spans 30 years at this point.

I don't know what it would take to actually incite a change, and you can say "the Predators make the playoffs every year," but they also haven't gone beyond the second round. I gather it would take 4 or 5 straight years of bad teams for someone to lose patience, and with Pekka and Weber, that's not likely to happen so...sadly, we have what we have: a team that will always be pretty competitive and win games, but will never get over that last hump to be a true contender. It's the David Poile thumbprint.

that's pretty spot on. It's up to the fanbase to decide if a 1st or 2nd round exit is good enough, or we want more with a solid chance of getting alot less.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
at one point that was never making the POs

then it was never getting a series win

Next step is the cup!! I still say if we didnt get andrei k and damn radulov back at end of last season we would have beat coyotes and played kings for western finals, can't say we would have won that but I know we were better than Phoenix.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Next step is the cup!! I still say if we didnt get andrei k and damn radulov back at end of last season we would have beat coyotes and played kings for western finals, can't say we would have won that but I know we were better than Phoenix.

And I say without Radulov and AK, we wouldn't have beaten Detroit. Say what you want about the Glendale incident, but they were our two best players prior to it. 1 and 2 in playoff scoring.

NSHPreds1835

Glads/Preds
May 24, 2011
Monroe GA
You could look at it 1 of 2 ways really

1) There's alot of stability in the head coach position in Nashville(unlike ahem that team that was in Atlanta)

2) Things have become status quo and unless there are some changes you can probably predict about the same outcome every year.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
my take on this from the last GDT...

Greg Popovich - 4 NBA championships, 4 Conference Championships, 9 Divisions Titles
Bill Belichick - 3 Super Bowls, 5 Conference Championships, 10 Division Titles
Mike Scioscia - 1 World Series, 1 League Pennant, 5 Division Titles

Barry Trotz - 0 Stanley Cups, 0 Conference Championships, 0 Division Titles

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
The thing to remember is, good coaches get fired, mainly because their team needs shaking up and you cant fire a whole roster, so first you try a different coach before you blow up a team.

You can say its good or bad, but the fact is the preds have been so steady there hasnt been a real need to sheke up this team.

in retrospect, we get frustrated by failing to advance beyond the second round, but in the long view, this team has shown pretty much steady progress, and I think Trotz only loses his job if we completely tank, and probably for more than one season...

Preddownsouth

Feb 20, 2013
The thing to remember is, good coaches get fired, mainly because their team needs shaking up and you cant fire a whole roster, so first you try a different coach before you blow up a team.

You can say its good or bad, but the fact is the preds have been so steady there hasnt been a real need to sheke up this team.

in retrospect, we get frustrated by failing to advance beyond the second round, but in the long view, this team has shown pretty much steady progress, and I think Trotz only loses his job if we completely tank, and probably for more than one season...

I don't know - the offense seems to be regressing not progressing...

NSHPreds1835

Glads/Preds
May 24, 2011
Monroe GA

Bob Hartley circa 2007.

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
Borderline scoring players like Fisher, Legwand, etc are only going to get worse as they get older. I think Erat a is legit 2nd line player but he too is getting older.

I like Wilson and think he's close to being a legit 2nd line player. Smith I've been sketpical of-- a modest college scorer is going to be a legit consistent NHL scoring threat? Doubt it. His peak happened the 1st 20 games of last season . SK is showing why he's wavier wire material with major consistently issues . Hornqvisit is a good complementary player, but a one-trick pony. And why we signed a 4th liner to a 12 million contract (and traded a 1st for him) is beyond me.

Someone said it well earlier-- we aren't a piece a way-- we're a whole 1st line away from a being a contender.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
my take on this from the last GDT...

Greg Popovich - 4 NBA championships, 4 Conference Championships, 9 Divisions Titles
Bill Belichick - 3 Super Bowls, 5 Conference Championships, 10 Division Titles
Mike Scioscia - 1 World Series, 1 League Pennant, 5 Division Titles

Barry Trotz - 0 Stanley Cups, 0 Conference Championships, 0 Division Titles
You are missing so many things here
Spurs founded in 1967
Patriots founded in 1960
Angles founded in 1961
Also the payrolls of those teams are light years away from the Predators. Compare Trotz and Poile to the other 3 expansion teams.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

Im talking about the whole team, and over the lifetime of the franchise... with the exception of the brief setback after the Leipold firesale, we have steadily progressed from expansion team, to marginal playoff team, to a team that can win a playoff series with a little luck, to a team that is favored in a playoff series and being a Cup contender is not unthinkable... the next step is to be a consistent Cup contender, and we really cant use this short season as a good guide to whether we are there yet...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad