Trotz, bad or good?

Breakingbad28

Feb 3, 2011
Are Nashville this seasons version of Colorado from last year? Or are they succeeding as a result of Trotz being replaced? Meanwhile in Washington, so far this season they have been healthy, but aren't looking very impressive. Also they are in the leagues, arguably, weakest division.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Trotz lost some very good assistant coaches when he moved to Washington which imo has really hampered him.

Huokaus

Oct 29, 2010
Nashville is doing good because now they have something going on in the offensive end with Forsberg, Ribeiro and Neal AND Rinne is healthy, not because Trotz left.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Nashville made quite a few changes. Nobody ever doubted Ribeiro could put up serious points, Forsberg has been a surprise, Rinne is actually healthy.

Stephen23

Aug 22, 2009
Halifax, NS
I think it was an easier transition for Nashville then it is/was for Washington. Nashville already had the defensive game down pat and they are now allowed to instill more offensive freedom into their game. While Washington is trying to learn and apply Trotz's new defensive system which will take some time to learn and adapt into their game. Especially when it comes to a team that seems to be as stubborn offensively as Ovechkin and the Capitals have appeared to be. Give Trotz and the team some more time and you will start seeing the results.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Trotz wasn't bad, but there's no denying that the Preds profitted from a coaching change. That's the way it is sometimes, you need to change the voice and the approach sometimes, and Trotz' philosophy had not been working with the Predators at an efficient level any more. I wouldn't hold that too much against Trotz, though, because that just tends to happen over a certain amount of time. Further in his defence, the Predators made quite a few changes compared to last year's team, and having a top-2 goalie in the game healthy again and on his game helps, as well.

Mypetrobot

sua sponte
Jun 22, 2013
Nashville missed the playoffs last year by three points and Rinne only played in 24 games. Year before he played 43. So if they had a healthy Rinne you could've bet they would've gain at least three points in 15-20 more games played by Rinne but you could say that because if his injury it helped transform the franchise and push the GM to make changes.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
the weakest division thing for the caps is kind is misleading. to take advantage of that they have to play a lot of games against that division. the caps divisional schedule is so backloaded that they have played western division teams more than their own division.

its a process. the caps have points in 6 straight. a lot of their problems have been goaltending that has come around of late

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Trotz is boring as hell. Caps are probably a better hockey team with him, but I´m not sure if it´s enough for them to make a playoffs. If only 3 teams from Metro do it, they won´t be there (PIT, NYI, NYR are almost locks). Their only chance is to beat Boston or Toronto somehow. It´s gonna be tough for them especially because the Rangers are finally coming.

Suddenly Zyuzin

Jan 14, 2007
Edison, New Jersey
Its far easier to look good as a coach when nothing is expected of your team and just making the playoffs is looked at as a huge success, than it is when you got a team with expectations and being a middling team brings about questions not praise.

Derrty

Cat
Apr 24, 2012
Not much mystery to this one; the answer is Pekka Rinne. Carter Hutton was a gongshow in net last season and Nashville didn't have the offensive depth to overcome any lapses that occurred. This year they have magnificent goaltending and another level to the offense, which Nashville hadn't seen in years.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
He's good, for goodness' sake.

Well, he'd better watch out either way. Best not to cry either. Or pout.

Last edited:

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Are Nashville this seasons version of Colorado from last year? Or are they succeeding as a result of Trotz being replaced? Meanwhile in Washington, so far this season they have been healthy, but aren't looking very impressive. Also they are in the leagues, arguably, weakest division.

The difference between Nashville last year and this year is mostly due to a healthy Pekka Rinne.

Lavy's new offensive system is certainly different, and more fun to watch, but objectively the Preds are scoring LESS than they did under the supposedly offensively challenged Trotz.

With a fully healthy Pekka Rinne last year the Preds would likely have been about a 100 point team and made the playoffs easily.

Freefly

Jul 2, 2014
Not much mystery to this one; the answer is Pekka Rinne. Carter Hutton was a gongshow in net last season and Nashville didn't have the offensive depth to overcome any lapses that occurred. This year they have magnificent goaltending and another level to the offense, which Nashville hadn't seen in years.

yup this. I mean PL is allot more fun to watch but the biggest change this year is a .937 save%. when this time last year Carter Hutton had a sub .900 save % thats a nice few goals difference. that being said I dont think ff9 brakes out like this under Trotz and the games are much more enjoyable to watch.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
yup this. I mean PL is allot more fun to watch but the biggest change this year is a .937 save%. when this time last year Carter Hutton had a sub .900 save % thats a nice few goals difference. that being said I dont think ff9 brakes out like this under Trotz and the games are much more enjoyable to watch.

Completely agree with this. Trotz is horrible with young players.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
The Preds got their superstar goalie back for a healthy season, and injected an entire first line into their team. Ryan Ellis also took a nice step forward.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
The Preds got their superstar goalie back for a healthy season, and injected an entire first line into their team. Ryan Ellis also took a nice step forward.
This is true, however. Trotz would not give players like Ribeiro, Neal or Forsberg the freedom that Laviolette has, which is why Poile never signed players like that.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
The return of Rinne has certainly helped, but there is no way this team has the same success under Trotz. He would have never allowed the puck possession game, or forecheck with more than two forwards. Forsberg would not be playing at high level under Trotz. There are several games this season that would have been a loss playing his style. I have watched this team since day one and have never seen them attacking as much with a two goal lead.

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
Pekka Rinne could make me look good as an NHL coach. He's the biggest reason for the Preds turnaround. Take Lundqvist off the Rangers for 2 years and see where they end up.

That said, one of the big reasons that the Preds have taken a step forward is that Trotz has never been good with young players.

We have several young guys in Nashville who are contributing at a high level on a nightly basis.

I don't think we'd see the breakout seasons from guys like Forsberg, Ellis, and Jarnkrok. Colin Wilson is having a nice season, and he never got out of Trotz's doghouse.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Rinne is the MVP by a huge margin. Despite having a good first line and defense, the Preds would still be about a .500 team with an average goalie in net.

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
Trotz wasn't bad, but after ~15 years, you just need a change sometimes (unless you're the San Antonio Spurs).

Halpysback*

Has some good things, has some frustrating bad things about him he probably will never change, so far I see him as above average but giant step up from Oates. Still would have rather had Lavi.

Privy

#ShutUpStu
Nov 25, 2011
Trotz lost some very good assistant coaches when he moved to Washington which imo has really hampered him.

In Nashville it was Trotz, Lambert and Housley. Housley stayed in Nashville and Trotz took Lambert with him to WSH (along with goalie coach Korn). So he lost Housley and gained two other assistant coaches (Nashville only uses two assistant coaches, Washington uses three).

The difference is Rinne, a more open system for guys to generate offense and apply pressure, less sitting on leads and the young guys are getting a chance. Neal and Riberio would have already been in Trotz's doghouse and Forsberg would have started on the 3rd or 4th line. Lavy has the boys fired up in a way Trotz wasn't able to do anymore. If Nashville calls a timeout, expect them to come out swinging afterwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad