Trophy Revamp

Joe Pelletier

Oct 12, 2007
Hello everyone. I'm a frequent reader and I really should post here more, I know.

I wanted to get your feedback on an idea I posted on my website. It is a proposal on how to revamp the NHL trophies. I know moderators tend to get touchy when posting links, so unless someone else would like to post the direct link, I will just say the full story is at Greatest Hockey Legends, look for Trophy Revamp.

The general idea is instead of renaming historic NHL trophies, create a set of new ones to honor Western and Eastern conference winners. Instead of having three finalists for each major NHL award, the Western and Eastern winners would be the two finalists for the NHL award.

Example - Western MVP would win the Gretzky Trophy, and Eastern MVP would win Lemieux Trophy (feel free to argue which trophies should honor which legend). Perhaps western media would vote on the west, eastern on the east, to eliminate eastern biases caused by time zones. These awards could be announced during playoffs. The two winners would be the finalists for the Hart Trophy as league MVP, with a special committee of managers or whoever determining the winner.

This could allow new trophies to honour more past and present players alike while keep the historical significance of the current trophies.

I'd like your feedback on the idea, on trophy names for each conference and on how best to implement voting procedures.

Joe Pelletier

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I certainly like the idea of having western writers and eastern writers voting only on players in their respective conferences. In a 30 team league it's become very difficult for them to choose fairly since they might only see some of the candidates once or twice in the year. As such, stats seem to play a larger role in judging the players than they ought to IMO. See last year when Tim Thomas won the Vezina based on GAA and save % and Mike Green nearly upset Chara for the Norris because of his goal total.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad