Trivia thread, the revival

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Remembered that getting mentioned in the commentary during Colombia-Japan.

In 2000, Torino FC named Attilio Romero their new club President, shocking older fans and football historians. They were shocked because, when he was still just a boy, Romero irreversibly changed Torino's club history. How did he do so?

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Remembered that getting mentioned in the commentary during Colombia-Japan.

In 2000, Torino FC named Attilio Romero their new club President, shocking older fans and football historians. They were shocked because, when he was still just a boy, Romero irreversibly changed Torino's club history. How did he do so?

Oh my gosh. I remember reading about this a while ago... wasn’t it something like he hit the old owner in a car crash or something?

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Oh my gosh. I remember reading about this a while ago... wasn’t it something like he hit the old owner in a car crash or something?

I had no idea until I saw this and like you remembered reading about it, he killed his idol and Torino's star player in a car accident. Can't remember his name though.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
I had no idea until I saw this and like you remembered reading about it, he killed his idol and Torino's star player in a car accident. Can't remember his name though.

That's it!

In 1967, Torino's star player Gigi Meroni (the Italian George Best) was drunkenly jay-walking in the middle of the night on a major street in Turin. He almost got hit by a car and jumped backwards, directly into the path of another vehicle, which not only hit him but then dragged him for 50 yards. That car was driven by a 17-year old Torino fan - Attilio Romero, who even had a poster of Meroni on his wall. Meroni died a few hours later at age 24, yet another tragedy in Torino's incredibly sad history. Romero was cleared of any responsibility - it was legally made clear that the accident was Meroni's fault.

Flash forward 33 years, and Torino, going through a tumultuous period, appoint a new President - Attilio Romero. A lot of people were less than happy with that.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Was thinking Andriy Shevchenko like many others. Googled it....is anyone ever goign to get this one? :naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad