Trivia: Leading point getter in both regular season and playoffs during their career

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
There are four players in NHL history who during the course of their careers had the most points in both the regular season and in the playoffs. The players listed below did at least one those during their career.

1. Can you guess which four players on the list below did both?

2. And of the others, whether they lead in regular season scoring or playoff scoring during their career

Morenz: 14 seasons (23/34 - 36/37)

Richard: 18 seasons (42/43 - 59/60)

Howe: 26 seasons (46/47 - 70/71)

Beliveau: 18 seasons (53/54 - 70/71)*

Hull: 15 seasons (57/58 - 71/72)*

Esposito: 18 seasons (63/64 - 80/81)

Gretzky: 20 seasons (79/80 - 98/99)

Jagr: 24 seasons (90/91 - 17/18)

Crosby: 19 seasons (05/06 - 23/24)

* did not include outlier seasons

Last edited:

Davenport

Dec 4, 2020
Toronto
Gordie Howe doesn't get his due as a playoff performer because he only hoisted the Stanley Cup four times, and only led the league in playoff points once during those cup-winning seasons. But he led the NHL in playoff points in five other seasons where the Wings were eliminated in the Final. Had the Conn Smythe Trophy been around back in the 1950s, Gordie's name would be on it two or three times.

Howe had two seasons where he led the NHL in regular season points* and postseason points: 1951-52 and 1962-63.

(* and goals scored)

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Gordie Howe doesn't get his due as a playoff performer because he only hoisted the Stanley Cup four times, and only led the league in playoff points once during those cup-winning seasons. But he led the NHL in playoff points in five other seasons where the Wings were eliminated in the Final. Had the Conn Smythe Trophy been around back in the 1950s, Gordie's name would be on it two or three times.

Howe had two seasons where he led the NHL in regular season points* and postseason points: 1951-52 and 1962-63.

(* and goals scored)

To clarify the OP, here is what I mean. Over the course of Gretzky's playing career ('79/80 to '98/99), he was the leading point getter in the regular season with 2,857 points:

He also had the most playoff points with 382:

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
The first 2 are obvious.

Gretzky, and Crosby.
Gretzky has the most career regular season and playoff points so he wins by default. Crosby I know also qualfies since he's ahead of Ovechkin for regular season points now, and has been ahead for playoffs among active players for a long time.

I have to admit I didn't guess the third one. In fact - I thought it would be Howe (though I suspected he might be beaten in playoffs) or Beliveau - or even Richard because enough of his regular seasons didn't overlap with Howe.

Hull was surprising, especially for playoffs.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
BONUS QUESTIONS:

Of those four players, how many are also the PPG leaders in both the RS and POs (out of the Top 20 scorers)?

Of the other five players, are there any who are the PPG leaders in both the RS and POs?

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
From memory Morenz playoff number are not great.

Gretzky-Crosby to start with.

I am not sure if Howe did it in the playoff over Mtls players but I can see him being a problem for the Richard-Beliveau-Hull in their regular season total.

Jagr and maybe Esposito ?

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Kucherov is close to date.

3rd in points to McDavid and Crosby despite missing a season. And he'll pass Crosby soon. Obviously McDavid isn't getting caught
1st in playoff points, by a healthy margin.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
3rd in points to McDavid and Crosby despite missing a seaso
Show #5 to me:

Very healthy lead in the playoff (and would be strange for Hedman to ever make ground on him if everyone stay a Lighting), it is all on Mackinnon it seem.

Reactions: daver

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
BONUS QUESTIONS:

Of those four players, how many are also the PPG leaders in both the RS and POs (out of the Top 20 scorers)?

Of the other five players, are there any who are the PPG leaders in both the RS and POs?

Only Wayne has done it. Crosby is 0.01 behind Kucherov in playoff PPG.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Show #5 to me:

Very healthy lead in the playoff (and would be strange for Hedman to ever make ground on him if everyone stay a Lighting), it is all on Mackinnon it seem.

Fair, that's what I get for clicking around hockey reference to try to get it.

Looking at the real list he could be 2nd soon. Kane and Crosby will get passed based on where they are in their careers. MacK will be interesting, especially in the playoffs if Colorado keeps having deep runs

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
I'd say Crosby is on there although Kucherov is probably sneaking up on him even with the later start. I don't know if any of the non Canadiens like Howe, Hull or Espo would be playoff leader, nor Beliveau above Howe in reg season. My initial instict was Jags after the Pens title years plays on too many non contenders. I'd guess Morenz and Richard along with Gretzky and Crosby. Edit - Actually Howe would cancel out Richard as well.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad