Player Discussion Tristan Luneau

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Are we expecting him to play anymore NHL games this season? Last I saw he was on loan. Does that mean he was officially sent down to juniors and, thus, done for the season?

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
I thought once they got sent back to the CHL they couldn't return to the NHL until the CHL season was over?
That's how I understand it, but being that it was a "loan" I think he may still be eligible for NHL games this year. Assuming he's healthy, of course.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
I have to believe it was a semantic/grammar issue. If loaning a player back could circumvent the rule I'd have to think we'd have heard about it way before now.
He was loaned to Team Canada for the WJC. I haven't heard that he was assigned to his Junior Hockey team. If he was, then yeah, no more NHL this year.

The latest I think we know is that he's practicing again and I'm assuming that's in SoCal since we haven't heard he's been assigned to his junior team.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
He was loaned to Team Canada for the WJC. I haven't heard that he was assigned to his Junior Hockey team. If he was, then yeah, no more NHL this year.

The latest I think we know is that he's practicing again and I'm assuming that's in SoCal since we haven't heard he's been assigned to his junior team.
I thought I heard he was over the WJC illness. I also thought I heard he was going back to the Q but that's where it got real hazy (no pun intended). Haven't heard he was actually on the ice practicing anywhere. Are you telling me I need to go over to check out practice one day? :laugh:

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
FWIW, he is listed on Victoriaville's roster on the QMJHL website but I suspect that he is continuing to rehab in Anaheim under the watchful eyes of the Ducks training staff. My guess is that he goes back to junior when healthy but trades at the TDL could impact that decision.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
I thought I heard he was over the WJC illness. I also thought I heard he was going back to the Q but that's where it got real hazy (no pun intended). Haven't heard he was actually on the ice practicing anywhere. Are you telling me I need to go over to check out practice one day? :laugh:
I don't believe he's been on the ice, but there have been reports (in French) that he's begun training again, which I assume is off ice work.

Also, he's definitely still with the Ducks, as Derek Lee said he spoke to him briefly last week.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006

He isn't eligible to be assigned to Victoriaville until he is healthy.

At this point, whether he goes to Victoriaville or not should depend on timelines. If Anaheim could assign him to San Diego on a rehab stint and not have to sit him, then they likely do that. If he is ready to play early enough that a rehab stint would sit him in the stands, then he likely goes to Victoriaville (he shouldn't play any more NHL games to avoid the 10 game trigger and he's already hit the 40 game trigger, so that is out of play).

Reactions: FiveHoleTickler

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Our upcoming new D in Minty and Luneau out with pretty significant injuries is not that ideal.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Our upcoming new D in Minty and Luneau out with pretty significant injuries is not that ideal.

Luneau's out due to sickness (staph infection), not injury caused within a game like Minty. It's a little different such that Luneau can avoid the "made out of glass" moniker for the time being. Also, in Luneau's case, is he is on a completely different program than Minty and Carlsson.

Keeping Luneau with the NHL club was centered around his physical development than in-game experience development. This is to prepare Luneau for next season full time,as he gets a two-stage body development process within one hockey season: first half of the season body building with the Ducks and then body building during the summer before next season starts.

CHL prospects don't have time to body build in-season because the schedule doesn't afford the prospects time to recover due to a heavy schedule like the NHL. For example, the WHL plays 68 regular season games while the NCAA plays about 35-40 games (regular season, conference championship, and playoffs). NCAA plays two games per week, usually on a Friday and Saturday. The CHL will play two to four games in a week on a randomized schedule, though often not playing on Mondays.

Remember during COVID, the CHL was mostly shutdown with the OHL not re-opening at all. McTavish and Wyatt Johnson's development were not hurt terribly with limited play for a whole hockey season. Mac worked out for months until he got cleared top lay in Switzerland by February.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Can somebody translate the actual video? The text references a quote that sounds like it is coming from somebody with the Ducks but does not mention who the quote is from. TIA.

Exactly. It appears the ducks decided not to return him to juniors, which is perhaps not an indication of a long term problem. Given the risks, it seems like a good decision.

From the article, as translated by google:

On the Ducks side, we want to make sure that when training camp starts next year, that it is at a high level, but it will take time. We don’t want to take any risks and I don’t think we’re going to see him in uniform again this season unfortunately.”

The Ducks have until the NHL trade deadline on March 8 to return Luneau to the junior ranks.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Exactly. It appears the ducks decided not to return him to juniors, which is perhaps not an indication of a long term problem. Given the risks, it seems like a good decision.

From the article, as translated by google:

On the Ducks side, we want to make sure that when training camp starts next year, that it is at a high level, but it will take time. We don’t want to take any risks and I don’t think we’re going to see him in uniform again this season unfortunately.”

The Ducks have until the NHL trade deadline on March 8 to return Luneau to the junior ranks.
His health should be a priority over playing some meaningless games in juniors. Good decision.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Welp, suddenly we're not that strong on the right side.
I think we are finally going to get a true top pairing physical rhd this summer somehow someway and then ask fowler next summer to waive his ntc and trade him

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
Isn't his juniors team pretty bad? Maybe the org just thinks it's better to keep him here and rehab him here.
I think we are finally going to get a true top pairing physical rhd this summer somehow someway and then ask fowler next summer to waive his ntc and trade him
Not to continue an unrelated discussion but the "trade Fowler" crowd need to think realistically. Why would Cam, who has spent his entire career here and has a family here, waive his NTC to leave to another team if we are bringing in a true top pairing player that would make his job easier and a better experience?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad