Speculation: Tristan Jarry on the trade market?

RSPens

May 25, 2015
I dont get your post?

Samsonov has 1 year and then is a UFA

Woll makes 700K or so

If your point is Tavares he has 1 year left and then is a UFA

Pens have more long term contracts signed to underperforming players than the leafs

That might change if we extend Bertuzzi and domi at bad deals and they fall off. For now we really only have Tavares
Short term memory? Remember a guy named Murray? Campbell (maybe)? Anderson (last season with the leafs at least)? I think the point was that the Leafs have some familiarity with under performing, slightly over paid goalies. Then again what NHL team doesn't?

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
In the last 5 seaons Jarry is 14th in GAA, 9th in SV%, and 4th in shutouts despite playing behind an absolutely anemic inconsistent defense. The idea that there would be no interest in him with the state of goaltending in the league is actually kinda laughable.

Put him behind a team with actual defensive structure and he'd be considered a top 10 starter in the league. Shit, he could probably win a Vezina in Carolina.

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
In Jarry's 5 years and ~230 games as a starter, he has a .912 save%, a 40.0 GSAA and basically a neutral GSAx, but that's because analytics think the Penguins are somehow good defensively. He's an average to slightly above average starter with warts, not a cap dump.
Plus six shutouts this season.

Ledge And Dairy

He has a .903 and a 2.90 gaa this year and a -0.4 gsaa.

He is 28 and supposed to be in his prime. His play lost him his job and hes basically been shunned to the bench for hiw bad he was after a good start.

He has also always choked hard in playoffs (2021 isles series particularly)

He is a below average starter going forward who will be getting older and hasnt shown to be able to handle a starters workload *due to injuries mostly outside of 2022) and deliver come playoffs.

Not an attractive asset at all.
No idea why people expect high SV% and low GAA's when the team in front of a goalie can't prevent high danger chances.

He has a +11.93 GSAx this season and a .914 SV% at 5v5. He's had quite a solid year and at least for your Leafs would be a huge upgrade

Reactions: Empoleon8771

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Sounds right up the Leafs alley then

Wasn't what I was thinking when I made the thread but when he was hired Treliving did say Dubas was one of his best friends in the league.

I could see a Toronto/Pittsburg trade taking place, although I'd lean towards Reilly Smith if the 2 teams struck any trade.

No idea why people expect high SV% and low GAA's when the team in front of a goalie can't prevent high danger chances.

He has a +11.93 GSAx this season and a .914 SV% at 5v5. He's had quite a solid year and at least for your Leafs would be a huge upgrade

Aren't you a Leaf fan? always thought you were.

Reactions: ColbyChaos

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Jarry is a good enough goalie to help hold down a successful platoon or whatever. He won't win you a Cup as a starter, but you could squeeze value out of that contract with a certain team. He's talented, he's also just a mental midget who has zero dog in him.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Jarry is a good enough goalie to help hold down a successful platoon or whatever. He won't win you a Cup as a starter, but you could squeeze value out of that contract with a certain team. He's talented, he's also just a mental midget who has zero dog in him.
Exactly. For a team that just needs to improve on "goaltending is killing us", like NJ or Ottawa, he would represent a leap forward probably give them the stability to get back to the playoffs (in NJ's case) or sniff the playoffs (in Ottawa's). For one of those teams I could see him being a great buy-low candidate. And Jarry in a different system, far far away from the Penguins firewagon style which produces 5-8 odd man rushes per game and FREQUENT brainfarts, who the hell knows what he would look like? Maybe his late season collapses magically stop happening under a different coach/system.

All that said, its moot. Once the Pens handed Jarry that extension he was one of the franchise country club. Every effort will be made to rehabilitate him as a starter, I'm sure of it, even when its very clear he isnt the right fit (as any Pens fan could've told you BEFORE that extension was signed)

Reactions: Turin

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Crosby already upset Guentzel went and he was an expiring UFA.

Imagine if a top 10 goalie goes. It will be a war between Dubas and Crosby.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
32 thoughts I believe it was did a half-ass speculation that Jarry could be moved/there was interest in him, but given his contract they didn't seem it would happen.

Maybe it was another podcast.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Good goalie. Hefty contract+goalie risk premium+struggles lately means I doubt he fetches more than a 2nd. He was signed at market value at UFA prices, and I don't think he's done anything to massively increase his value

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Crosby already upset Guentzel went and he was an expiring UFA.

Imagine if a top 10 goalie goes. It will be a war between Dubas and Crosby.
Ya. Keep this energy. We need other people to actually believe this.

Exactly. For a team that just needs to improve on "goaltending is killing us", like NJ or Ottawa, he would represent a leap forward probably give them the stability to get back to the playoffs (in NJ's case) or sniff the playoffs (in Ottawa's). For one of those teams I could see him being a great buy-low candidate. And Jarry in a different system, far far away from the Penguins firewagon style which produces 5-8 odd man rushes per game and FREQUENT brainfarts, who the hell knows what he would look like? Maybe his late season collapses magically stop happening under a different coach/system.

All that said, its moot. Once the Pens handed Jarry that extension he was one of the franchise country club. Every effort will be made to rehabilitate him as a starter, I'm sure of it, even when its very clear he isnt the right fit (as any Pens fan could've told you BEFORE that extension was signed)
Wouldn't be shocked to see him traded if they make the playoffs on the back of Ned.

Reactions: BillyOcean

Ledge And Dairy

Wasn't what I was thinking when I made the thread but when he was hired Treliving did say Dubas was one of his best friends in the league.

I could see a Toronto/Pittsburg trade taking place, although I'd lean towards Reilly Smith if the 2 teams struck any trade.

Aren't you a Leaf fan? always thought you were.
I don't mind the Leafs, I'm a Flames fan though

BillyOcean

Jan 2, 2015
Hes basically Marc Andre Fleury without the smile and the feel good that keep him around the league through the consistent devastating collapses.

People calling him a "top 10 goalie" in this thread make me think he does have a bit of that "Fleury magic" with the fans. See some leafs fans in there. So a lot of those are probably doing mental gymnastics to fulfill their Dubas hate fetish. Haha. Y'all love your failures. Don't you?

Chance after chance after chance. Who did Matt Murray sleep with to be exiled so quickly?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad