Tried on Bauer Supreme, Vapor and Reebok UPDATE Post #13

Hacker10

Oct 10, 2010
Horrible lookin'!
Looking to make a switch, as my Graf 705's don't seem to be working out.

I tried on One70's, Vapor X4.0, and Reebok 7K, so I'll give a quick comparison of fit.

One70's: Seemed to fit in a \ / shape. Tight around the ankle and the heel, tight in the arch and edge of the foot. The boot was roomy in the toe area, but still conformed to the outside edges of the foot. Felt solid and supportive, and held my heel in the best.

Vapor 4.0's: Fit in more of a / \ shape, pretty much the opposite of the One70. Snugger around the toe and down the side of the foot. Less solid in the arch and heel area, the heel was much roomier, and didn't feel as solid or "locked in". Ankle didn't seem as supportive either.

7k's: More of a linear fit down the sides of the foot. Very roomy in the heel area, didn't feel locked in at all, pump or not. The lacing seemed to come very high up the lower shin, it felt odd. Biggest complaint was the release valve of the pump system. It seemed to be digging into my ankle bone, was very uncomfortable. The lace locking system felt odd too, and I didn't like it at all.

More than likely, I'll be going with the Supremes.

Last edited:

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Sounds like the Supremes fit you the best for sure. You could try on some Eastons just to be sure as well, but Supremes are great skates if they fit you well, and it sounds like they do.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
This ^ absolutely right.

Supreme offers a wider forefoot fit than the Vapors with a respectable amount of anatomical 'fit' on the heel area

The Easton Synergy is similar to the Supremes with perhaps a 'snugger' locking ankle area but a consistent forefoot. The Stealth series is alos similar, with a wider forefoot.

budster

Schoolyard Puck
Looking to make a switch, as my Graf 705's don't seem to be working out.

I tried on One70's, Vapor X4.0, and Reebok 7K, so I'll give a quick comparison of fit.

One70's: Seemed to fit in a \ / shape. Tight around the ankle and the heel, tight in the arch and edge of the foot. The boot was roomy in the toe area, but still conformed to the outside edges of the foot. Felt solid and supportive, and held my heel in the best.

Vapor 4.0's: Fit in more of a / \ shape, pretty much the opposite of the One70. Snugger around the toe and down the side of the foot. Less solid in the arch and heel area, the heel was much roomier, and didn't feel as solid or "locked in". Ankle didn't seem as supportive either.

7k's: More of a linear fit down the sides of the foot. Very roomy in the heel area, didn't feel locked in at all, pump or not. The lacing seemed to come very high up the lower shin, it felt odd. Biggest complaint was the release valve of the pump system. It seemed to be digging into my ankle bone, was very uncomfortable. The lace locking system felt odd too, and I didn't like it at all.

More than likely, I'll be going with the Supremes.

That was almost exactly the same experience I had only I bought the One60s. My only hesitation was the stiff ankle area but after baking it was much better. I had custom footbeds made at a ski shop and I love how they fit. Good luck.

Hacker10

Oct 10, 2010
Horrible lookin'!
They didn't have Eastons at the Pro Hockey Life I tried the skates on at, and I'm not crazy about Easton skates to begin with(sticks, however...). I play with guys that have bought Eastons and after 5 games it looks like their skates have been used for 5 years(exaggeration, but I think you get my drift).

When I go to trade my Grafs in, I'll see if they have the new EQ40's, but I'll probably stick with Bauer.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
They didn't have Eastons at the Pro Hockey Life I tried the skates on at, and I'm not crazy about Easton skates to begin with(sticks, however...). I play with guys that have bought Eastons and after 5 games it looks like their skates have been used for 5 years(exaggeration, but I think you get my drift).

When I go to trade my Grafs in, I'll see if they have the new EQ40's, but I'll probably stick with Bauer.
The Stealths seem to have fewer durability issues than some previous Easton skates, and the new EQ line fewer problems than the Stealths (though they haven't been out that long yet, so it's tough to say), but yeah, Eastons have had some durability issues in the past. If Supremes fit you the best, go with them. Sounds like you like everything except the toe box, Bauer toe boxes (Supremes and Valpors) are definitely tall/roomy, you can always do what I did, which is basically to make a little pad, sew some velcro onto it, stick the other side of the velcro to the inside of the toe box, then velcro the pad in place to get that snug feeling on the top of your toes. I'll post pictures when I get a minute, it was easy to do, just had to buy some microfiber cloth and velcro from the hardware store, cut out the proper size pieces, then get it all sewn together by my local drycleaning/alterations place.

Hacker10

Oct 10, 2010
Horrible lookin'!
The Stealths seem to have fewer durability issues than some previous Easton skates, and the new EQ line fewer problems than the Stealths (though they haven't been out that long yet, so it's tough to say), but yeah, Eastons have had some durability issues in the past. If Supremes fit you the best, go with them. Sounds like you like everything except the toe box, Bauer toe boxes (Supremes and Valpors) are definitely tall/roomy, you can always do what I did, which is basically to make a little pad, sew some velcro onto it, stick the other side of the velcro to the inside of the toe box, then velcro the pad in place to get that snug feeling on the top of your toes. I'll post pictures when I get a minute, it was easy to do, just had to buy some microfiber cloth and velcro from the hardware store, cut out the proper size pieces, then get it all sewn together by my local drycleaning/alterations place.

I actually didn't have too much of a problem with the feel of the toe box on the Supremes. It was just different than what I am used to, I guess. With the way the One70's fit around the rest of my foot, I'm good with them.

I'm going to give it a bit and try them on again. Reason being, I had tried the 7k's on about 4 months ago, and thought they were great. Glad I went and tried them again, because they were awful compared to the Bauers.

Last edited:

Guffaw

Apr 29, 2011
Drexel Hill PA
Bauer touts the Vapor line as having a narrower fit than the Supremes. Is this true?

I have a narrow foot everywhere(ankle, heel, forefoot, etc).

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I actually didn't have too much of a problem with the feel of the toe box on the Supremes. It was just different than what I am used to, I guess. With the way the One70's fit around the rest of my foot, I'm good with them.

I'm going to give it a bit and try them on again. Reason being, I had tried the 7k's on about 4 months ago, and thought they were great. Glad I went and tried them again, because they were awful compared to the Bauers.

Good call, because Reebok/CCM fit completely different.

Bauer touts the Vapor line as having a narrower fit than the Supremes. Is this true?

I have a narrow foot everywhere(ankle, heel, forefoot, etc).

Yeah it's true, though you should give the Stealth series a shot as well.

Guffaw

Apr 29, 2011
Drexel Hill PA
Yeah it's true, though you should give the Stealth series a shot as well.

Darn. The Vapors are just so ~16yr old and hard on the eyes or at least looking through 38 yr. old eyes:). I like my Graf's, but the weight of some of these new CCM and Bauer skate has me tempted to try one.

Oh well guess I'll stick with my G35's. A little heavier, but already profiled, punched out, and almost broken in.

Wonder why the other manufacturers no longer offer C widths.:shakehead

Hacker10

Oct 10, 2010
Horrible lookin'!
Went today and tried on a pair of Easton EQ3's.

Fit wasn't as snug around the heel as the One70's, or as solid feeling around the ankle. They hurt around the outside edge of my feet, just standing there was very uncomfortable...it didn't allow for me to get a good impression of how they felt around the rest of my feet.

Needless to say, I won't be going with these. For now, the One70's are still tops for me.

member 30781

Bauer ANYTHING is the best on the market IMHO. I'd say just buy the One70's and call it a day.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Went today and tried on a pair of Easton EQ3's.

Fit wasn't as snug around the heel as the One70's, or as solid feeling around the ankle. They hurt around the outside edge of my feet, just standing there was very uncomfortable...it didn't allow for me to get a good impression of how they felt around the rest of my feet.

Needless to say, I won't be going with these. For now, the One70's are still tops for me.

Did you try the EQ3s in EE/W width?

edit: completely agree with ponder on Superfeet. After just one skate I noticed a large difference in skating stability

Last edited:

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Sounds like you've done your due diligence and tried on a wide range of skates. Seeing as you still like the Supremes best, I'd definitely go ahead and get them. A guy on my team got a pair of one70s at the start of the year and seems very happy with them so far, I don't see any reason not to get them if they fit great and are in your price range.

I'd also try them on with better footbeds, Bauer make great skates but their stock footbeds are as garbage as with any other brand, basically useless and offering more or less no support. If you don't already have your own footbeds I'd HIGHLY suggest giving something like Superfeet Yellows or Graf footbeds a try, personally I think my Superfeet Yellows were my best hockey related purchase ever. Also, don't be concerned if your feet hurt for the first 5-10 skates or so, even with great fitting skates and a good baking there can be a break in process. Many people will get some foot pain at first with new skates no matter what, but if your skates fit properly it should go away relatively quickly with just a bit of breaking in.

Hacker10

Oct 10, 2010
Horrible lookin'!
Ponder: Yeah, I use yellow Superfeet in my Grafs. They made a big difference over even the stock Graf footbeds. Those SF footbeds won't be part of the trade-in, that's for sure.

AIREAYE: The store had a limited selection, and frankly I was lucky to find the EQ3's in my size. Eastons seem to be rare in Ottawa for some reason. The soreness I felt in the EQ's today is one that I get when my feet really don't like how something fits(old Army-related injury). Coupled with the fact that I have narrow feet, going wider wouldn't have helped.

Guffaw

Apr 29, 2011
Drexel Hill PA
I have the GRAF sidas footbeds. Can someone compare the Superfeet to those.

I have a very high arch so could use all the support I can get plus I have a narrow foot in a regular width skate so wouldn't mind taking up some more volume if the Superfeet are indeed thicker than what I have.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
I just bought One100s because the toebox in my X:60s was too narrow for my foot. Always knew Supreme was the better fit for me, but when I was younger I forced myself into Vapors and now they're just too uncomfortable.

Tried the One100s on in stores and loved them, but I bought a "lightly used" pair online from some kid who only skated in them a half-dozen times before his mommy and daddy bought him APX. I'm lucky to have a foot that's small enough that some of the spoiled junior players whose parents buy them gear wear the same size as me. Can't wait for the skates to get here so I can bake them and get playing.

Now if I only I could find someone to by my X:60s!

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Sounds like you've done your due diligence and tried on a wide range of skates. Seeing as you still like the Supremes best, I'd definitely go ahead and get them. A guy on my team got a pair of one70s at the start of the year and seems very happy with them so far, I don't see any reason not to get them if they fit great and are in your price range.

I'd also try them on with better footbeds, Bauer make great skates but their stock footbeds are as garbage as with any other brand, basically useless and offering more or less no support. If you don't already have your own footbeds I'd HIGHLY suggest giving something like Superfeet Yellows or Graf footbeds a try, personally I think my Superfeet Yellows were my best hockey related purchase ever. Also, don't be concerned if your feet hurt for the first 5-10 skates or so, even with great fitting skates and a good baking there can be a break in process. Many people will get some foot pain at first with new skates no matter what, but if your skates fit properly it should go away relatively quickly with just a bit of breaking in.

Spot on with the footbeds. $600 skates and the footbed is a piece of foam with graphics on the top to make it look cool.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
If you tried the skates on in store you should've bought them there and not have to wait for shipping, pay for shipping and most likely pay extra for baking and sharpening...

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
I paid $300 less for the skates. I've been skating my entire life and bought 90% of my skates at the same proshop 15 minutes from my house. I'm not new to this rodeo... I just needed to save as much as possible this time as I've got more important expenses and new skates are a luxury. Since some kid had already baked them and skated in them a half dozen times, I got a pair of One100s for $225. They're still $599.99 in my pro shop. I'm going to have to pay to get them baked and sharpened, but it will still come out more than $200 less for a barely used pair of One100s. I got to inspect the skates as best as possible in a video chat thing (oovoo? I don't know I downloaded it for the skate showing) and they're really in practically brand new shape.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Yes the Supremes have a narrow heel, wide forefoot fit. Really wish the new line was out when I was skate shopping. The Vapors have a narrow fit throughout. Reeboks seem like you described; I could never get a good heel fit in mine. I wear Graf 735, which is narrow heel, wide forefoot, and then I had my forefoot/toe area stretched even more. Great fit but heavy.

As for Superfeet vs Graf/SIDAS, Superfeet were an improvement over stock for me because it helped me feel the edges/ice more. When I got fitted, they mentioned it was probably not great for my feet because it raised my heel out of the pocket of my already-too-wide Vapors, plus I have flatter feet and they might have caused some arch pain.

Honestly I've been skating with Graf/SIDAS so long that I have had zero problems after baking and stretching, and perfect support. A really good investment IMO. I can skate for 2-3 hours without any arch pain, which I had a little of with my Vapors.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad