Goalies: Tricks to reading shooters?

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I feel like this is the next step in trying to figure out the position. Generally I feel like I've got my angles down. I move around my crease fairly well. I feel like I've got the blocking aspect down as well.

What I want to be able to do now is start better reading the shooters when they're coming in on breaks. I know some of it is just familiarity with individual players (because my own team in practice I can just watch their eyes/shoulders and see where the puck is going to go), but from reading various articles you see people touch on the things to look for without really ever breaking it down (ie position of hands on stick, what they're doing with their wrists, location of stick in comparison to body, which foot they're on...) in a single space.

So what do you find works best to do to read a shooter, and what are the telltale signs you look for?

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I feel like this is the next step in trying to figure out the position. Generally I feel like I've got my angles down. I move around my crease fairly well. I feel like I've got the blocking aspect down as well.

What I want to be able to do now is start better reading the shooters when they're coming in on breaks. I know some of it is just familiarity with individual players (because my own team in practice I can just watch their eyes/shoulders and see where the puck is going to go), but from reading various articles you see people touch on the things to look for without really ever breaking it down (ie position of hands on stick, what they're doing with their wrists, location of stick in comparison to body, which foot they're on...) in a single space.

So what do you find works best to do to read a shooter, and what are the telltale signs you look for?

Additionally from what you haven't mentioned already. Reading the stick blade is something I use to take some of the guess work out of where i think the puck is going next.

But don't take my word for it.

Dan Ellis: “Reading a shot takes practice. The stick blade and body position will give you valuable hints to which direction the puck will travel. If the blade is cupped over the puck generally it will be a low shot. If the stick blade is open generally you will get a high shot.

“Based on if the players body is opened up or closed will help determine which side of the net the shooter is looking to shoot. Lastly, the shooters follow through will help determine both the side of the net and the height of the shot.

“It is important to gather as much information as possible from a shooters body and stick position but you always have to track the puck all the way into your body. Players can change puck angles quickly by turning their wrists so its also important to have the patience to wait for the shooter to make their release. Don’t move or drop until the player has released the puck, be patient and work to stay square on all shots.â€

http://ingoalmag.com/interviews/dan-ellis-ask-a-pro/

HawksFan28

Apr 2, 2006
I keep my eye on the puck, stick and hands I hardly even look at what the player is eying... You can read what shooter is going to do just by the motions of his stick....

If you really want to learn how to read shooters forget the puck, have a shooter shoot black golf balls and concentrate on the golf ball and the blade of the stick... Not only will you learn to read the motions, but it will also tighten you up a bit because golf balls are a lot more difficult to stop.

I know the golf ball thing sounds weird and all but pucks look like beach balls compared to golf balls so when you play your vision will be a lot better and stopping the puck will be a lot more easier.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
It's a tough call really. Yes there can be tells but I'm more of a fan of a few other points first.

Don't get beat short side ever.

Leave what you think is a hole and expect the shot there and then try to read his blade/handedness

Make the shooter shoot across his body (right shot coming down right wing, make him shoot left) odds are he wings it wide especially if you're expecting him to shoot that side.

Predicting a shot is better then trying to read a shot. Stats say a puck going whatever speed is impossible for the human body to react to over a certain distance anyways

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
If hes carrying the puck to the side in front of him he will probably snap it. Puck to the side behind him wrister or a pass. Puck directly in front he will probably make a move. Puck on the backhand, he WILL shoot until he doesnt.

Do a "soft" focus on his stick blade, then zone in once he releases. If you know youre giving him some space then he will probably shoot there.

rh71

Nov 12, 2005
Long Island, NY
Make the shooter shoot across his body (right shot coming down right wing, make him shoot left) odds are he wings it wide especially if you're expecting him to shoot that side.

As a forward, I love reading threads like this because it can work in our favor too. As a righty, I also love shooting far side from the top of the faceoff circle coming down the RW (or when cutting across my left to right) as you describe above. I am pretty accurate with it but the main factor is a quick release there surprises goalies a lot and many don't come out that far. On the same token, I find it's a tougher shot to actually get PAST the goalie because he has more reaction time to it rather than a short side shot (high glove). Is this true? I've seen so many times where a last-second reaction move will just barely deflect the puck away, but a save is made on it. This leads me to think you do have a bit more reaction time when the puck comes across like that. Being stubborn, it is still my go-to shot on a rush.

2 questions for you guys:
1) is a shot 1ft off the ice (just above pads when down) stick side really the perfect shot?
2) do goalies tend to not come out as much if the skater has speed coming in? Or is that only influenced by the goalie's own skating ability?

Last edited:

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
As a forward, I love reading threads like this because it can work in our favor too. As a righty, I also love shooting far side from the top of the faceoff circle coming down the RW (or when cutting across my left to right) as you describe above. I am pretty accurate with it but the main factor is a quick release there surprises goalies a lot and many don't come out that far. On the same token, I find it's a tougher shot to actually get PAST the goalie because he has more reaction time to it rather than a short side shot (high glove). Is this true? I've seen so many times where a last-second reaction move will just barely deflect the puck away, but a save is made on it. This leads me to think you do have a bit more reaction time when the puck comes across like that. Being stubborn, it is still my go-to shot on a rush.

1) is a shot 1ft off the ice (just above pads when down) stick side really the perfect shot?
2) do goalies tend to not come out as much if the skater has speed coming in? Or is that only influenced by the goalie's own skating ability?

Yes, we have more time to react to the puck if you are shooting far side when coming down your off wing side.

1) yes, low blocker is the perfect shot when coming in straight down on a goalie. it is the hardest place to reach and takes the longest to get there.

2) Goalies should come out further for faster skaters because then they have more room to match the faster skater's speed, but yes, goalies make decisions based on their own ability

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB

My thoughts on the question you asked in the bigger paragraph is that you will have more success with that shot when the defenseman isn't playing the 2-1 properly leaving the goalie deeper in the net or cheating causing more room open areas to score. If the defenseman does his job then the goalie should be more aggressive and challenging you as the shooter giving you less room to score.

1) Yes as it is the longest movement I have to do as a goalie.

2) No. I would challenge the shooter the same way regardless of speed. For me the factor that affects how much i come out of the net is based on the situation in front of me. Breakaway, 2-1, 3-2, Broken play. ect ect.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
The shooter's stick blade and body position is a big part of it. And as you get in more reps, you'll start to realize what is feasible and what isn't for a shooter given where he is on the ice, what hand he is, and how much time he has.

This is why the best scorers are the best; they can do things other shooters can't and that makes them harder to anticipate.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I've found that trying to "read" the shooter gets me into more trouble than not most of the time, especially in odd man rushes.

I find more success in doing what is technically correct, to play for the shot (the entire time) and react to the pass if it gets through. Nothing worse than getting caught cheating for a pass and the shooter gets one by short side or five hole because you weren't expecting a pass.

Same thing for breakaways, I'm always ready for the shot and react for the deke.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad