Tribune: Rocky Wirtz is a popular team owner. Will that change after he fired the man who made him?

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
Sharp would be the top color guy possible but i dont know if NBC could let him leave. they would throwwww money at him.

sharkhawk

Jun 1, 2013
Aurora, IL
The big move that showed me that things were going to be different in 2007 was the shifting of bob Pulford from a hockey role to an office in the beverage business where he could continue sipping scotch all day long. The removal of Tallon was necessary as he was too close to the old regime. Tallon has proved in Florida he’s nothing special as a GM, and really his good moves here were toews, Kane and ???? And I was a huge Foley fan, but tree tirty tree in the turd can go. Time for a fresh voice. His bannnnnnnerrrrmmmmannnn calls were 35 years ago

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
You only need one PBP guy. Olczyk is the colour commentator. I really wonder if they are replacing Foley and Olczyk.

I was kidding. Forgot to add the emoji, my bad.

Sharp would be the top color guy possible but i dont know if NBC could let him leave. they would throwwww money at him.

Sharp is a pretty loyal guy (hockey wise ;)). I think if the Blackhawks offered him something in the org, he'd take it without hesitation. Hell, he does pre and post game show for the Hawks broadcast as it is along with the NBC job.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Saying there are no personnel decisions made above the GM level is wrong. Who sets payrolls? Not the GM. The Lakers HC was forced to hire Jason Kidd as an AC and it came from above the GM, etc.

Ummmm. Different sport? Also... that wasn't exactly what was being said... Of course there are things that happen related to personnel above the GM... but in the Hawks organization, it seems as if the buck stops with Bowman. You don't have a ton of owners that step on the toes of their executives in charge of the team/team personnel... What you're talking about is the exception, not the rule. Owners are typically one of maybe 2 or 3 people above the GM... and most owners are just businessmen, not sports guys. They tend to leave the sports decisions to the person who they put in charge to make the sports decisions... crazy concept, I know.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I'd be fine with Judd back, but I usually tune out hockey broadcasters anyway so it'd really do nothing for me.

The only ex-Hawks broadcast team member that I'd be stoked to have back would be Sarah Kustok, as she was competent as opposed to the string of what's their faces that have had her gig since she left for the Nets.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I'd be fine with Judd back, but I usually tune out hockey broadcasters anyway so it'd really do nothing for me.

The only ex-Hawks broadcast team member that I'd be stoked to have back would be Sarah Kustok, as she was competent as opposed to the string of what's their faces that have had her gig since she left for the Nets.
She's probably never coming back to Chicago....you know about the murder thing with her parents, right? She probably would still be here if not for that.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
She's probably never coming back to Chicago....you know about the murder thing with her parents, right? She probably would still be here if not for that.

Oh yeah, I know about that. Horrible stuff, but it was several years between when she left and when it happened, so not sure if they were directly related. I think she just got a higher profile gig with more room for advancement with YES versus NBC Chicago. I think she's the studio head honcho for Nets broadcasts now.

Reactions: clydesdale line

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Oh yeah, I know about that. Horrible stuff, but it was several years between when she left and when it happened, so not sure if they were directly related. I think she just got a higher profile gig with more room for advancement with YES versus NBC Chicago. I think she's the studio head honcho for Nets broadcasts now.

She moved to NY 2 years after the murder.

Reactions: clydesdale line

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Whatever platform Sirott is on I won't tune into. The guys washed up and has been washed up for years now.

But I'll believe it when I see it.

Any Colour You Like

Regular bean eater
Nov 13, 2011
Boston U
If the Hawks are set on bringing Sirott back, stick him on the radio and bring Weideman over to the TV side. If Olczyk gets a front office job, Coyne-Schofield would be ideal for color.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)

Sharp would be a great hire for Olczyk’s role. Analyst on NBC Chicago for Hawks game and and in the studio for the playoffs. Has Sharp even done game broadcasts? IMO he is easily the best NBC analyst when compared to Milbury, Jones, Carter, Roebuck, etc.. and he has only been doing it for a couple seasons. The Athletic had an article a year or so back about his work ethic and dedication to broadcasting. I think he is a rising star in hockey studio work/broadcasting.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
Sharp would be a great hire for Olczyk’s role. Analyst on NBC Chicago for Hawks game and and in the studio for the playoffs. Has Sharp even done game broadcasts? IMO he is easily the best NBC analyst when compared to Milbury, Jones, Carter, Roebuck, etc.. and he has only been doing it for a couple seasons. The Athletic had an article a year or so back about his work ethic and dedication to broadcasting. I think he is a rising star in hockey studio work/broadcasting.

And he is easy on the eyes for the ladies. Or so I hear from my significant other.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
I'm okay with Sirrott.
I'd prefer Wideman though.

I grew up listening to Foley call games on the radio and on TV and will always appreciate that but I agree it's probably time for him to retire. He gets names wrong and rambles on a bit too much the last few seasons. Certainly the guy has earned every second of air-time and I hope he sees that it's time to hang 'em up because I'd hate for his retirement to be entirely forced.

For color I'm cool with Burish, Sharp, even Roenick. Kendall Coyne is a hero around here and deservedly so, but also kinda boring on air. I'm iffy on that choice.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Back to the topic at hand, I wonder if there is any truth to the rumour that the firing of McD was about Kaner being traded?

It would make sense that McD would want to keep Kane to entertain and fill seats .... while Rocky might be thinking more along the lines of the team's future and the recipe for success. Trading Kane has the potential to bring in a bucket load of younger talent. Just thinking out loud.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad