Trevor Linden, Hall or No Hall.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Even back in 1996, before the injury, it was clear who the better player was... even if you factor in Linden's intangibles, it was Modano. He had a 50-goal season behind him, Linden had not even scored 40. Linden was a lunchpail first liner. Modano was one of the most electrifying talents in the game.

It was closer than you think though. Linden had 80 points in '95-96. Modano had 81 and had yet to develop into a great two-way player.

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
I'm likely the biggest Linden fan on these boards, but as somebody above has already stated, the only way Linden gets in to the Hall of Fame is by paying admission.

He's my all-time favourite player, but there's just no chance.

I suppose one could argue that he played a pretty significant role in ending the most recent work stoppage. Maybe he gets in as a builder one day.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It was closer than you think though. Linden had 80 points in '95-96. Modano had 81 and had yet to develop into a great two-way player.

Absolutely. In terms of revisionist history, it seems odd, but the two were pretty much neck-and-neck circa 1996.

Linden was better than Modano the first two years after the lockout - put up nearly identical numbers while playing a much better all-around game. Modano had had the two 90+ point seasons from 1992-94 to go with a couple 70-point seasons, while Linden was more of a consistent 70-point player through that stretch, but Linden's superior defense/grit/all around game made up for any offensive difference. Keep in mind also that Linden was the Canucks' 2nd-line RW behind Bure from 1991-94, which impacted his icetime/production. When he was shifted to center late in the 1993-94 season, his production spiked considerably for that playoffs and the next few seasons.

Modano didn't have a very good reputation at that stage - was considered really soft and poor defensively. In his 50-goal season, he was somehow a -8 while playing for a 97-point team. Stuff like a Ribeiro-esque injury faking incident after an encounter with John Kordic hung over his head for a long time.

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
Absolutely. In terms of revisionist history, it seems odd, but the two were pretty much neck-and-neck circa 1996.

Linden was better than Modano the first two years after the lockout - put up nearly identical numbers while playing a much better all-around game. Modano had had the two 90+ point seasons from 1992-94 to go with a couple 70-point seasons, while Linden was more of a consistent 70-point player through that stretch, but Linden's superior defense/grit/all around game made up for any offensive difference. Keep in mind also that Linden was the Canucks' 2nd-line RW behind Bure from 1991-94, which impacted his icetime/production. When he was shifted to center late in the 1993-94 season, his production spiked considerably for that playoffs and the next few seasons.

Modano didn't have a very good reputation at that stage - was considered really soft and poor defensively. In his 50-goal season, he was somehow a -8 while playing for a 97-point team. Stuff like a Ribeiro-esque injury faking incident after an encounter with John Kordic hung over his head for a long time.

Consider, too, Linden's playoff production compared to Modano's.

I believe that in 1996, Linden had put up 80 points in 79 playoff games. I think Modano was around 37 in 50.

I would argue that from 88-96 Linden was a better player, or at least it was closer than some might suggest.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
if i had a vote, i would mark him down for a yes. you guys who are looking at points dont get what Trevor Linden meant to a hockey team.
Which is why his number will be retired by the Canucks, and rightfully so. He isn't a HHOF level of player. Its as simple as that.

X pro hockey insider*

Stats wise, he's 99th all time in Points, 94th in Goals, 33rd in Games Played.

99 points in 124 playoff games is still one of the better ratio in the history.

He's not your prototype all star, but his off-ice contribution probably gives him enough votes to push him through to the Hall.

I don't need to try and convince you, I just want to hear what some of the other fans feel.

wow, I have waited for this to be a topic for a long time.. there is no chance that the hall would even let 16 in without paying the admission like any one of us..... he was UNREAL when he was with the Caps and he had 49 goals and 288 points and won the art ross.... ohhhhhhh wait, hes a ********* and he costs the canucks the season last year when they played the oilers and he took a LAZY LAZY tripping penalty and the oil scored the insurance to knock the nucks out. MAN i think that Bob Probert or Mike Richter should be in way before they even waste their breath and air in saying his why not captain canuck?

ha.. i hate trevor linden str8 up

he ruined the canucks:handclap:

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
wow, I have waited for this to be a topic for a long time.. there is no chance that the hall would even let 16 in without paying the admission like any one of us..... he was UNREAL when he was with the Caps and he had 49 goals and 288 points and won the art ross.... ohhhhhhh wait, hes a ********* and he costs the canucks the season last year when they played the oilers and he took a LAZY LAZY tripping penalty and the oil scored the insurance to knock the nucks out. MAN i think that Bob Probert or Mike Richter should be in way before they even waste their breath and air in saying his why not captain canuck?

ha.. i hate trevor linden str8 up

he ruined the canucks:handclap:

You're smart.

Macke*

It's the hall of fame, not the hall of ok.

Linden had a couple good offensive years at the start, never was a point per game player...ever. and had one good playoff run, never made it out of the second round after that.. was a decent two way player (Though he had a year where he was minus 25..O_O)

Was god awful in New York, Montreal and Washington...should have retired after the 05-06...never got along with many of his coaches...Keenan, AV, Crawford(to an extent)

Will have his number retired by the Canucks (But even then doesn't deserve to be heads and shoulders above other great Canucks like Bure, Smyl and Naslund.)

Diving Pokecheck*

I say Linden is up there with Taylor, O'Reilly, and the Canucks' own Smyl, great players, meant a lot to their team, but just not good enough for the Hall of Fame.

Macke*

Anyone remember that poll with the same question?

I remember it being 100-0 in favor of No.

Good times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad