Kings News: Trevor Lewis signs one year deal worth 1.325M

HeadInjury

Jul 30, 2005
I think this is a bit much for this player. Never scored more than 5 goals and he gets over 1 million? All this comparables above scored more points or contributed more in different areas.

I'm with you JU. Seems high to me. But I like watching Trevor on the Kings. I'm hoping he can learn to bury a puck now and then.

BallPointHammer

Los Angeles Kings - We're Back!
Oct 25, 2006
Maryland
I know it doesn't seem to make sense with the 1 year contract, but isn't Lewis UFA after the 2013-14 season? He'll be 27 on 1-8-2014 and will have 7 accrued seasons.

KingKopitar11*

Now let's get rid of Schultz and Fraser to sign Clifford.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I think DL overpaid slightly on all three of Muzzin, A-Mart and Lewis, but I think this also shows GM's/teams have a little less leverage with players who file for salary arbitration like them. The team is obligated to take whatever the arbitrator awards as long as it is less than $3.5 million (above that the team can walk away) and those players weren't going to get anywhere close to that. So it's either pay a little more now to avoid arbitration or roll the dice and risk the player getting what he's asking for, which was guaranteed to be higher. Between those three players, I'd estimate DL overpaid by $300,000 to $500,000, nothing huge but in a tight cap year it hurts.

Be interesting to see if Clifford resigns now or not. I think he will, I can't see on what grounds he'd be demanding substantially more than what DL thinks he's worth. Odds are they are only a few hundred thousand apart.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Fair deal for Lewis, glad to have him back in the fold. I think he's well on his way to earning another raise after this coming year.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
I think this is a bit much for this player. Never scored more than 5 goals and he gets over 1 million? All this comparables above scored more points or contributed more in different areas.
I partly agree too. Lewis is that kind of player who brings so much more than just goals. Somebody said he is one of the fastest Kings players. I'm pretty sure he is the fastest player on this team. I always thought that the Kings need more speed.

Yet, if this is called a discount than I dont know what he wants next season. He's not worth $2M or more and I really like Trevor.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
I like he one year deal. He'll be a UFA after the season so he should be playing his ass off and may get career highs this season.
Not sure if that's a good thing. For some reason I always hope players have a down year when they will be a UFA after the season. Just a little, not too much. Then sometimes you can get them signed for cheap.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
He's stepped up in big games. He has a lot of intangibles and some upside still. He played extremely well during our cup run and followed it up with a fantastic season this year. He was worth $1.5 million at least. Not to mention his goal against the San Jose Sharks to complete the comeback:

Dykstra

whiskey jpeg pgt
May 1, 2010
Great, we cant lose him. Maybe Clifford signing a similar contract? Longer term tho, like 2 years.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
When Dean was preaching that every dollar counts, I didn't expect him to overpay every single RFA. Now I'm expecting Clifford to make like $1.7-2M or some **** like that.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
When Dean was preaching that every dollar counts, I didn't expect him to overpay every single RFA. Now I'm expecting Clifford to make like $1.7-2M or some **** like that.

Because it was nicer saying that than "Penner isn't worth one ****ing dollar!"

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
I remember how most posters (including myself), couldn't care less about Lewis before Sutter got here. And now that Lewis has proven himself to be Sutter's fave, everybody loves the guy. :)

Good signing!

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I'm gonna be bold and say Lewis puts up more points this year alone than he has his entire NHL career (37, lol).

He will probably still only score 5-10ish goals, but I think our 3rd line is gonna have a good year

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
I'm gonna be bold and say Lewis puts up more points this year alone than he has his entire NHL career (37, lol).

He will probably still only score 5-10ish goals, but I think our 3rd line is gonna have a good year

I'd kinda like to see him on the LW with Stoll and Toffoli and try Frattin on the 2nd line I guess.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada

I think the fact teams are obligated to pay whatever the arbitrator awards the player (for $3.5 mill or less) factored into this. Better to give up a bit more now than to risk paying a lot more at arbitration.

Btw, Frattin I think will be a 25 goal guy this year. He has the skills.

KingsFirstCup

Nov 18, 2012
Canada
Anyone that makes a big play to knock Vancouver out of the playoffs on the way to the Kings first ever Stanley Cup can have whatever the hell he wants in my books :yo:

Face Wash

Mar 17, 2002
Visit site
First $925,000 of a player's salary don't count against the cap.

What???

BURIED CONTRACTS (Wade Redden Rule)

Money paid to players outside of the NHL counts against the cap.
A one-way contract counts against the cap as follows:

cap hit – [ minimum salary + $375,000 ]

So if Keaton Ellerby gets sent down to Manchester it's:

$735,000 - $550,000 + $375,000 = $560,000 cap hit

Face Wash

Mar 17, 2002
Visit site
There's no way Clifford gets more than this...

If a team needs what Clifford brings and sees the offensive upside in him and realizes he's only 22 and can only get better and is willing to give stretch out a contract for him or maybe buy some UFA years in the form of an offer sheet, I think you're wrong. The Kings will lose Clifford if a team like Calgary that has space and needs grit offers KFC something like a 5y/$10M deal with an NMC.

They can even afford to try him on the PP, like PHI did with Simmonds to huge success. I hope I'm wrong, but I can see Clifford getting an offer sheet DL won't wanna or won't be able to match.

DL might not have the luxury of waiting to see if Mitchell or Stoll is an LTIR candidate this season. Sending extra guys with one-way contracts to Manchester won't work to make enough space at this point, IMO because of the Redden Rule.

If DL wants to keep Clifford, he might need to make a deal quick to clear cap space. I could be wrong, but there are teams out there that need what Clifford brings, have space and could stretch out a deal for KFC that would seem cheap by contract's end. Deano's left himself vulnerable.

Last edited:

Sam

Feb 27, 2002
What???

BURIED CONTRACTS (Wade Redden Rule)

Money paid to players outside of the NHL counts against the cap.
A one-way contract counts against the cap as follows:

cap hit – [ minimum salary + $375,000 ]

So if Keaton Ellerby gets sent down to Manchester it's:

$735,000 - $550,000 + $375,000 = $560,000 cap hit
You're missing the parentheses.

cap hit – [ minimum salary + $375,000 ] equates to
$735,000 - ($550,000 + $375,000)= -$190,000 (which goes to 0 as far as the cap hit goes)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad