Kings News: Trevor Lewis signs one year deal worth 1.325M

Randart

May 20, 2007
Carson, CA
Always Like TL...

Liked Trevor since his draft year... Thought he had more offensive upside at the time but he gives it his all and has enough talent to be respected in the league. He contributes on many lines in many situations... And stranger things have happend than him being late bloomer offensively. Love his defensive game! Very happy we kept him, hope we can resign him next season as well.

:handclap:

Face Wash

Mar 17, 2002
Visit site
You're missing the parentheses.

cap hit – [ minimum salary + $375,000 ] equates to
$735,000 - ($550,000 + $375,000)= -$190,000 (which goes to 0 as far as the cap hit goes)

I sit corrected.

I still think Clifford is waiting for an offer for longer term and more money than he's worth today, but maybe not down the road. Bottomline, if any team offers KFC an contract over $1.65M with an NMC, I highly doubt DL matches.

Captain Mittens*

I sit corrected.

I still think Clifford is waiting for an offer for longer term and more money than he's worth today, but maybe not down the road. Bottomline, if any team offers KFC an contract over $1.65M with an NMC, I highly doubt DL matches.

Are you too lazy to stand corrected? :dunno::dunno:

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I sit corrected.

I'd have to get Holden to explain the exact ages and all that, but a player can't have a NMC in his contract until I believe he's 25. I don't think Clifford can get a NMC in his deal unless it's a three year (or more) contract, and the NMC kicks in in the third year (or later).

Hopefully Holden's still in this thread, he likely knows more certain than I.

That all said, it's likely moot. Has anyone even been given a RFA offer sheet under the new CBA other than O'Reilly?

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
I'd have to get Holden to explain the exact ages and all that, but a player can't have a NMC in his contract until I believe he's 25. I don't think Clifford can get a NMC in his deal unless it's a three year (or more) contract, and the NMC kicks in in the third year (or later).

Hopefully Holden's still in this thread, he likely knows more certain than I.

That all said, it's likely moot. Has anyone even been given a RFA offer sheet under the new CBA other than O'Reilly?

Clifford has leverage in a QO that the Kings can either match or not possibly and I think you are right that he isn't eligible to receive an nmc yet or at least that is my understanding.

Last edited:

Face Wash

Mar 17, 2002
Visit site
Clifford has leverage in a QO that the Kings can either match or not possibly and I think you are right that he isn't eligible to receive an nmc yet or at least that is my understanding.

That's what I'm saying... NMCs are for UFA years only I believe... if someone like Calgary was to come in with a 5y/$10M offer, the last two years can have NMC. DL doesn't do NMCs.

Sam

Feb 27, 2002
It's 27 or 7 years of service to become a UFA. Clifford is 22 and has 3 years of service so the earliest he could become a UFA and have a NTC/NMC would be in 2017-18.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I like Clifford but I love Andreoff and believe he is the better player, Cliff just has too many concussion issues and maybe is overvaluing himself a bit too much at the moment but i sure would like to see this line

Kyle Clifford- Andy Andreoff- Trevor Lewis

losingsand

Apr 13, 2007
Pasadena, ca
I'm really hoping Lewis turns into a todd marchant type of player, speed//scoring on the bottom 6 lines. Right now he just hasn't been consistent enough w/ his chances to be that kind of player that gets you goals in the bottom lines.

Lewis is an interesting bottom 6 guy. Compared to other amazing bottom 6 players, his size is below average, his speed is there to be a marchant / draper type... but his hands aren't. He's not smart enough to be a Pahlsson / Maltby / ChrisKelly type. Luckily the thing we can draw from Lewis is that he's improving year to year.. albeit slowly. At least there's progress.

A one year deal is nice for him to really push himself to earn the bucks for 2014-2015.

EmperorPenguin

Jun 11, 2010
That's what I'm saying... NMCs are for UFA years only I believe... if someone like Calgary was to come in with a 5y/$10M offer, the last two years can have NMC. DL doesn't do NMCs.

A GM only has to match the structure of the offer sheet NOT any clauses. Remember Philly gave Weber a NTC/NMC in his UFA years and when Nashville matched the Offer Sheet, his agent begged Nashville to honour the clauses and they said no dice. So pay structure and signing/performance bonuses are matched, clauses are not.

Primakov!

Dec 9, 2003
Yesteryear
Lewis is an interesting bottom 6 guy. Compared to other amazing bottom 6 players, his size is below average, his speed is there to be a marchant / draper type... but his hands aren't. He's not smart enough to be a Pahlsson / Maltby / ChrisKelly type. Luckily the thing we can draw from Lewis is that he's improving year to year.. albeit slowly. At least there's progress.

So what amazing bottom 6 player are you comparing him to categorize him as a player with "below average" size at 6'1"?

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011

A one year deal is nice for him to really push himself to earn the bucks for 2014-2015.

I agree with most of this up except the bolded. Lewis is a very intelligent player if you watch him. His reads in the defensive zone are on par with some of the better shutdown centerman in the league, in my opinion that is :)

Thrice

To Be Everywhere...
Sep 27, 2007
I'm really hoping Lewis turns into a todd marchant type of player, speed//scoring on the bottom 6 lines. Right now he just hasn't been consistent enough w/ his chances to be that kind of player that gets you goals in the bottom lines.

Not smart enough?

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
I agree with most of this up except the bolded. Lewis is a very intelligent player if you watch him. His reads in the defensive zone are on par with some of the better shutdown centerman in the league, in my opinion that is :)

Jason Lewis...defending Trevor Lewis. Are you from Utah?! :sarcasm:

losingsand

Apr 13, 2007
Pasadena, ca
ok poor choice of words, I'm saying he's not as talented/defensively as pahlsson or a madden... which to me is more defensive hockey sense, than "intelligence".

I don't mind the kind of player LEWIS is at all. I like him, I see potential for him to be an amazing bottom sixer... Big part of the Detroit dynasties were the Maltby / Draper / Lapointe kind of players... i would love it if Lewis got to that level to round out our line up.

Face Wash

Mar 17, 2002
Visit site
A GM only has to match the structure of the offer sheet NOT any clauses. Remember Philly gave Weber a NTC/NMC in his UFA years and when Nashville matched the Offer Sheet, his agent begged Nashville to honour the clauses and they said no dice. So pay structure and signing/performance bonuses are matched, clauses are not.

That's interesting...Kings still can't match a $2M AAV without making a trade. Even sending Colin Fraser to the minors with Schultz only gets them close but not quite and it gives them no space to maneuver at the deadline.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
That's interesting...Kings still can't match a $2M AAV without making a trade. Even sending Colin Fraser to the minors with Schultz only gets them close but not quite and it gives them no space to maneuver at the deadline.

Agreed, but it's looking like a trade is coming, Clifford or not. We just have to many bodies and not enough spots, so someone is heading out the door.

http://www.capgeek.com/kings/

The Kings normally role with 14 forwards, seven D and two goalies. By that math, they need to add one forward (Clifford) and subtract two defensemen.

Odds are at least one of Ellerby and Schultz are waived, though I'll admit I'm a bit perplexed by their signings in the first place. Both were UFA's at the time of their signings (Ellerby wasn't qualified and then resigned) yet they both signed right into their UFA period, so I'm wondering if DL promised them something.

If Clifford resigns for about $1.5 million, then waiving Ellerby and Schultz allows things to work out perfectly.

All of that said, if Mitchell starts the season on the LTIR then everything works out with space to spare.

But as I said, we'll still likely make a trade considering we have a very good chance to also see one or more kids from Manchester crack the line up as well.

driller1

Dry Island Reject
Feb 4, 2010
"Trevor Lewis was one of the more controversial additions to the camp roster, but Poile explained pretty clearly that Lewis will be watched for a defensive role. Poile said he visualizes Lewis a fourth-line player, who could bring energy and grit to the lineup while playing in a shut-down role. Poile compared the role Lewis might be able to play to that of Ryan Callahan, who was a surprise add to the 2010 team that worked out incredibly well. It’s clear the U.S. is looking for guys that can fit a role. Lewis is no lock, of course, but he brings a set of skills that gives him a realistic chance."

http://unitedstatesofhockey.com/201...-named-orientation-camp-news-notes/#more-6537

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Poile is a very, very smart man. When everyone was scratching their head of Lewis being on that list, I knew exactly what he was thinking. Well done.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
It would probably be more beneficial to have an energy guy like Lewis who will know his role and fit in well as a fourth line, checking forward as opposed to having an All-Star squad with a finesse player or scorer on your fourth line who'll look lost in his own end. I think for the US squad to stand a chance, they need to out hit and shut down the big offensive powerhouses that are Canada and Russia. If they outplay those teams defensively, then they'll come out on top. Of course goals would be nice as well and I expect them to produce quite a few with the mobile defense and the strong forwards that the US team will be icing in Sochi.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad