Confirmed with Link: Trevor Carrick To SJ for Kyle Wood

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Nothing not to like about this. Thanks to Carrick for his years here, but not a bad time to move on to younger righty.

Waddell, made moves for the team before he was officially GM, and keeps making them while interviewing with other teams with no contract. He's a beast.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I didn't think there was much of a chance of Carrick coming back...he's 25 and has put in a lot of seasons in Charlotte but never looked like an NHLer (most of last year he looked like Faulk-lite). I honestly figured he'd head to Europe, so exchanging him for a slightly younger RHD for Charlotte is a win IMO. Right now the only D-men in Charlotte are Fitzy, Sheppard, & Lintu (assuming Sellgren goes back to SHL most likely) + whoever loses the Bean/Fleury/Forsling battle...all lefties. Wood gives us our first RHD! (Hopefully we resign McKeown too)

Reactions: Unsustainable

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
650E2CB2-95CA-4D19-86B1-ABE45EE129D2.jpeg

Reactions: AndreiThreeK

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
This has to be all about the guaranteed number for Carrick. Not sure how Wood is as a product but that's rather inconsequential since we had Slavin, Pesce, Fleury, Forsling, Sellgren and Bean as is. Bad to say since I really liked Carrick but we can't afford to pay our #10/11 dman/#6/7 ld the kind of money that his ahl play would justify. Unless you're Toronto basically no team can justify it.

Wouldn't be shocked if the same story is happening with McKeown right now especially if we're likely to sign Priskie as sounded like the case this summer.

Last edited:

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
This has to be all about the guaranteed number for Carrick. Not sure how Wood is as a product but that's rather inconsequential since we had Slavin, Pesce, Fleury, Forsling, and Bean as is. Bad to say since I really liked Carrick but we can't afford to pay our #10 dman/#6 ld the kind of money that his ahl play would justify. Unless you're Toronto basically no team can justify it.I

Wouldn't be shocked if the same story is happening with McKeown right now especially if we're likely to sign Priskie as sounded like the case this summer.

I really don't think that this move is a money thing (for the most part) but rather about doing Carrick a favor and giving him an opportunity to make the NHL. After Karlsson signed that huge extension, Braun had to be moved for picks to make the money work, which in turn has made their third pairing slots blown wide open. Carrick has a huge shot now at securing one of those slots.

Reactions: cptjeff

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I really don't think that this move is a money thing (for the most part) but rather about doing Carrick a favor and giving him an opportunity to make the NHL. After Karlsson signed that huge extension, Braun had to be moved for picks to make the money work, which in turn has made their third pairing slots blown wide open. Carrick has a huge shot now at securing one of those slots.

Carrick was the 6th LHD on the DC. He wanted more of a shot.

I appreciate this take, but looking at the contract, it's clear it's not the case. Nobody is expecting Carrick to play in the NHL. His contract is a two-way only so that San Jose can recall him in the case of emergency. His agent didn't even bother to negotiate an NHL salary, but got him guarantees, meaning this is basically an AHL deal. San Jose did this to improve their AHL team. We did it to save money on our AHL team (and swap a lefty for a righty since Bean/Sellgren are probably going to be the top 2 LHDs in CLT).

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I appreciate this take, but looking at the contract, it's clear it's not the case. Nobody is expecting Carrick to play in the NHL. His contract is a two-way only so that San Jose can recall him in the case of emergency. His agent didn't even bother to negotiate an NHL salary, but got him guarantees, meaning this is basically an AHL deal. San Jose did this to improve their AHL team. We did it to save money on our AHL team (and swap a lefty for a righty since Bean/Sellgren are probably going to be the top 2 LHDs in CLT).

I think that we'll see; I just don't believe in reading the contract details too deeply, but rather a team's general situation at the time of an acquisition. SJ's system is simply not as deep as ours, and even if he doesn't make their team straight out of camp, I could see him being called up and maybe securing a permanent role over there, something that he was never going to get in CAR with the likes of Fleury/Forsling/Bean on the left side of our D-farm.

Reactions: cptjeff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad