Travis Sanheim: Season Review

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Goals-Above-Replacement-696x372.png

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Sanheim just needs playing experience and confidence.

Unfortunately, scratching him prevents him from gaining either. We just need him to play and he'll continue to improve.

Already our 3rd best defensemen.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
All I will say, is that there were times in games when we were losing, and it 100% looked like Hakstol let him off his leash and told him to push the play/offense. When Gudas got the puck in our end and the opponent were on a line change, Sanheim would sneak up the boards for a longer outlet pass but it put the opponents on the defensive right away. Or he would look to pinch when the opportunity arose.

We have some great skating Dmen in Provy, Ghost, Sanheim and Myers. Letting them skate/pinch to create mismatches is something that can give us an edge over opponent when done correctly.(before anyone freaks out about wanting an all out NYI scheme). I hope in the future, we come at teams in waves causing them to always be back peddling.

Having multiple Dmen who can get up the ice as the trailer off the rush will be nice too. We are finally getting speed into the lineup, now use it. Don't neuter it.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
All I will say, is that there were times in games when we were losing, and it 100% looked like Hakstol let him off his leash and told him to push the play/offense. When Gudas got the puck in our end and the opponent were on a line change, Sanheim would sneak up the boards for a longer outlet pass but it put the opponents on the defensive right away. Or he would look to pinch when the opportunity arose.

We have some great skating Dmen in Provy, Ghost, Sanheim and Myers. Letting them skate/pinch to create mismatches is something that can give us an edge over opponent when done correctly.(before anyone freaks out about wanting an all out NYI scheme). I hope in the future, we come at teams in waves causing them to always be back peddling.

Having multiple Dmen who can get up the ice as the trailer off the rush will be nice too. We are finally getting speed into the lineup, now use it. Don't neuter it.
That's why we need Sanheim to be like Ghost and just ignore the coach and play the style that got him to the NHL in the first place.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
That's why we need Sanheim to be like Ghost and just ignore the coach and play the style that got him to the NHL in the first place.
Reality is he needs to listen to the coach. But the coach needs to adapt too. And so far, his inability to adapt in a playoff series is one of the reasons we lose.

But let's not turn this into a Hak thread, please.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Reality is he needs to listen to the coach. But the coach needs to adapt too. And so far, his inability to adapt in a playoff series is one of the reasons we lose.

But let's not turn this into a Hak thread, please.

I second this. Please don't turn this into a Hak thread. Let's keep this to Sanheim, the Flyers defenseman as a whole, the defensive system, etc. I have no control over what people post on here. However, it'd be greatly appreciated if Hak doesn't become the primary focus in this thread.

Reactions: Tripod and Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Yes, he needs to become like Ghost, listen to his coaches, develop a responsible two way game and play up to his talent.
Ghost was better last season because he stopped forcing plays in the O-zone and got back on defense and used his body more instead of his stick when backchecking - things he didn't do his first two years which got him benched.
It's called "fundamentals." It's the difference between guys who just put up points (OEL) and guys who win games (Doughty).

As Ted's article showed, Sanheim royally sucked before they sent him down and played much better after he returned, like a lot of rookies, he was over his head and needed the AHL break to get his head on straight.

I'm hoping he shows up in camp stronger and with more of an edge, he's a defenseman, it's not enough to be a pretty skater, he needs to win board battles in his own zone and get the puck back, because you can't exit the D-zone without the puck.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If Gudas plays more like he did prior to last year, then he and Sanheim would be a good fit together on the 2nd pair (although they'd likely end up as 3rd pair when it comes to icetime after MacDonald is back).

Playing with Sanheim was the best Gudas looked last year by far. No reason it can't work again.

Reactions: Adtar02

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad