Player Discussion Travis Hamonic

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I want to bump this just to appreciate how ****ing good this guy has been since coming back from his injury.

Rock solid defensively. Heart on his sleeve. Starting to get involved in the offense more too now which is nice because he has a great shot.

Love Hamonic. Discuss.

He's been absolutely rock f***ing solid. He looks so much more comfortable playing with Hanifin compared to Brodie. He's also pinching, joining the rush, and shooting the puck more. I think we've had two or three goals in the past two weeks where it was a goal off a Hamonic point shot.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think not playing with Brodie has helped because Brodes wasn't comfortable on the left side. But I also think the coaching change has made a huge difference, now we’re seeing the player we traded for.

Good bump on this Deebz, Hammer has been a bloody stud this season.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I think not playing with Brodie has helped because Brodes wasn't comfortable on the left side. But I also think the coaching change has made a huge difference, now we’re seeing the player we traded for.

Good bump on this Deebz, Hammer has been a bloody stud this season.

I want to point out that even the Brodie-Hamonic pair had some stretches of dominant play. Hamonic's slow start kind of masked it, as did Brodie's pizza-filled ~December but the pair dominated the second half of the season and was done in by our old frenemies SV% and SH%. There was a road trip, I wanna say February, where we faced the Ranger, Penguins, Devils, Sabres, and Sens, where this pair looked elite. Gillies' inability to make routine saves, Smith's shakey return, the team's offensive confidence going down the drain, and of course Brodie's season-ending concussion all caused their strong play to go forgotten or unnoticed.

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
He's been really good this year. The D as a whole has been solid the past 6 or 7 games, but they are still prone to giving up a few odd mans or breakaways each game, which will bite us in the ass.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
His skill set is generally completely unappreciated by most fans. People who truly understand hockey realize this guy has been a massive difference maker for us this year. I shutter to think what our 2nd pairing would be without him. He's a modern day Reggie in my books.
This is a comparison I was thinking of honestly, although lately it seems he has more of an offensive flair than Regehr ever did. :laugh:

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Are people still complaining about the price we paid for him? In my opinion it was worth all 3 picks. He solidified our 2nd pairing and IMO that pairing has been our best pairing the last couple of weeks.

Reactions: Flameshomer

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Are people still complaining about the price we paid for him? In my opinion it was worth all 3 picks. He solidified our 2nd pairing and IMO that pairing has been our best pairing the last couple of weeks.
I'd make the trade again. There's very little probability that our team was going to draft someone like Barzal anyways. Hamonic has been a game changer for us this season, and his cap hit is just oh so beautiful.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I'd make the trade again. There's very little probability that our team was going to draft someone like Barzal anyways. Hamonic has been a game changer for us this season, and his cap hit is just oh so beautiful.

Barzal was 2015 which was the Dougie Hamilton picks which turned into Lindholm and Hanifin (2 5th overalls).

Hamonic's 1st from the trade was either Wahlstrom or Dobson.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Hamonic has been a beast since his return and has solidified the play of young Hanifin. While we are gushing over the recent successes of the team and how exciting our top lines have performed, our D pairings underpin everything. Well that and some good goaltending. All 3 defensive pairs are (or have been) rock solid. Peter's has no fear in putting any of them out in any situation or against any opposition. This is a luxury we haven't seen in these parts for years. And I'd have to say Hamonic is crucial to this.

Reactions: Flames Fanatic

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Hamonic has been a beast since his return and has solidified the play of young Hanifin. While we are gushing over the recent successes of the team and how exciting our top lines have performed, our D pairings underpin everything. Well that and some good goaltending. All 3 defensive pairs are (or have been) rock solid. Peter's has no fear in putting any of them out in any situation or against any opposition. This is a luxury we haven't seen in these parts for years. And I'd have to say Hamonic is crucial to this.

Agreed. Though I did notice the third pair struggling a bit against Vegas's top lines in the third last night when Peters was giving them a boat load of minutes, but it's a good learning experience for sure.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
It is amazing what Andersson and Valimaki are doing. These two guys are so young for dmen coming into the league and are giving us quality minutes. Pretty unbelievable that a pair of kids is able to hold down a 3rd pairing the in the NHL and not only hold their own, but at times excel.

Reactions: Cyrano

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
It is amazing what Andersson and Valimaki are doing. These two guys are so young for dmen coming into the league and are giving us quality minutes. Pretty unbelievable that a pair of kids is able to hold down a 3rd pairing the in the NHL and not only hold their own, but at times excel.

I was really sceptical of a two-rookie pair before this season, they're doing an incredible job. Would love to see a little bit of offense from them but their play is rock solid.

What's the average age of this defense, like 26? And Gio pulls that mean up by like two years...

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I was really sceptical of a two-rookie pair before this season, they're doing an incredible job. Would love to see a little bit of offense from them but their play is rock solid.

What's the average age of this defense, like 26? And Gio pulls that mean up by like two years...

D Corps is in a good position moving forward. Gio is kind of the key piece, but I have no doubt Hanifin or Valimaki will end up as similar products.

Reactions: SKRusty

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

Nah.. I don't care about that. It's both there first year. The offense will come as they get more NHL experience. What I want them to be is invisible out there. An unnoticeable rookie D-man is a good rookie D-man. They are doing just fine. We have enough D offense without them.

Gumbyman2

Sep 12, 2018
And the best part is, all 3 D-pairings are finding their place, and steadily gelling and improving, despite some lacking goaltending when....is in the net (or supposedly there!). This only compliments each pairing and thus the team overall.
Hanifin is improving due to aid of and partnering with Hamonic, this solidifies the effetiveness of the top pairing and picks up play if they are struggling. Then with 2 solid pairings above them, to watch-learn from-be mentored by, the 3#rd pairing of pure rookies no less, is showing their strengths and abilities and promise, with confidence growing each game. If all keeps up with all 3 D-pairings, this team's limitations are merely their own, and on the goalies being above 50% solid for sure, the offense should continue to come through, and then the playoffs will be attainable and sustainable. Alot of 'if's' and to go thru yet, but...the signs of progress and success are showing to be there, starting with the improved play of Travis Hamonic, gelling with Hanifin, etc. GFG!

Reactions: The Gnome

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

I get what you're saying, but I do not think anyone should be surprised by their play. Both of these kids are top level prospects and it's what happens when you give players like that a chance to succeed. No one was expecting Pesce or Slavin to become top pairing dman, but they did because they got the opportunity to play. That is what we are seeing with Valimaki and Andersson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad