Travis Green next HC of Senators?

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I dont really know what his system is. Or why he was hired, not sure what screams hes our guy or what he has accomplished.

In van defensively they were dreadful. Offensively they were fine, but when you play a tight checking defensive team like montgomery coached bruins, be prepared to want to punch a wall watching it. If another team gives you no time and space his system is toast. He basically has his team play passive defensively and then just try to counter offensively. To this day over 10 years one of the most frustrating games I ever watched was a canucks game he coached vs montgomery coached dallas stars before he was let go.

They literally could not do anything and did not know what to do.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Oh but he will get testy post game, but ask media for there numbers and text them after, heard a few times about that on the post game radio him texting media to talk. Canucks were playing bad, but he worked the media and had them writing articles how hes being treated unfairly especially after how great the team was during the covid bubble weeks and he deserves better, he basically had the media writing reference letters for him to get an extension. He eventually was extended then, and then let go shortly after... guess it worked he secured himself millions while the team was playing bad and months later he was let go.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
A small part of me wants the Sens to go on the longest losing streak in NHL history just to show how stupid this f***ing hire was.

Has any team gone 0-82 yet?

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
He does this breakout routine that the media and constant analysts pointed out how incredibly stupid it is.
AND HE WONT CHANGE IT

Essentially on a breakout he wants the defense and center to be the puck carrier out of the zone.
He then wants the wingers to jet the zone early and stand at the opposing teams blueline completely still

Then the center or defense pass the puck as hard as possible to the wingers and they tip it in

Problem is, both wingers ARE COMPLELTELY stand still, so your center is your only forchecker.
Problem 2 is if the winger misses it, it is an icing and the teams next best line jumps over the boards rested.

Under green you have terrible forchecking numbers
And you give up a f-load of odd man rushes against.

It is such a terrible neutral zone designed system. It blows my mind he sticks with it.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
I dont really know what his system is. Or why he was hired, not sure what screams hes our guy or what he has accomplished.

In van defensively they were dreadful. Offensively they were fine, but when you play a tight checking defensive team like montgomery coached bruins, be prepared to want to punch a wall watching it. If another team gives you no time and space his system is toast. He basically has his team play passive defensively and then just try to counter offensively. To this day over 10 years one of the most frustrating games I ever watched was a canucks game he coached vs montgomery coached dallas stars before he was let go.

They literally could not do anything and did not know what to do.
You’re giving Montgomery too much credit. I feel like the back bone of the bruins tight checking system stems from Claude Julien.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Oh but he will get testy post game, but ask media for there numbers and text them after, heard a few times about that on the post game radio him texting media to talk. Canucks were playing bad, but he worked the media and had them writing articles how hes being treated unfairly especially after how great the team was during the covid bubble weeks and he deserves better, he basically had the media writing reference letters for him to get an extension. He eventually was extended then, and then let go shortly after... guess it worked he secured himself millions while the team was playing bad and months later he was let go.

While Toronto and Montreal press are their own monsters, Vancouver's group seems to be the most contentious within their own ranks, the most divisive and most likely to be played against one another.

As for Green... I just don't understand how a lengthy search turns HIM up as the best candidate. I could see someone brand new - thought Jay McKee with his OHL success for Andlauer's own Bulldogs seemed like a good fit even if it's another new guy. But this? Why? What in the world is the point of it?

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
While Toronto and Montreal press are their own monsters, Vancouver's group seems to be the most contentious within their own ranks, the most divisive and most likely to be played against one another.

As for Green... I just don't understand how a lengthy search turns HIM up as the best candidate. I could see someone brand new - thought Jay McKee with his OHL success for Andlauer's own Bulldogs seemed like a good fit even if it's another new guy. But this? Why? What in the world is the point of it?
FWIW Friedman and Marek both think that Gruden and McKee will be involved in the Sens organization in some way.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
From what I know he’s a smart hockey mind, just don’t know if he knows how to coach a roster “up”.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
He does this breakout routine that the media and constant analysts pointed out how incredibly stupid it is.
AND HE WONT CHANGE IT

Essentially on a breakout he wants the defense and center to be the puck carrier out of the zone.
He then wants the wingers to jet the zone early and stand at the opposing teams blueline completely still

Then the center or defense pass the puck as hard as possible to the wingers and they tip it in

Problem is, both wingers ARE COMPLELTELY stand still, so your center is your only forchecker.
Problem 2 is if the winger misses it, it is an icing and the teams next best line jumps over the boards rested.

Under green you have terrible forchecking numbers
And you give up a f-load of odd man rushes against.

It is such a terrible neutral zone designed system. It blows my mind he sticks with it.
Maybe the players he's had just suck at executing his breakout. I have a hard time believing that an NHL coach would want his players being motionless at the blueline, regardless of how terrible of a coach he is.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
You’re giving Montgomery too much credit. I feel like the back bone of the bruins tight checking system stems from Claude Julien.

He had the same system in Dallas when I watched them and mentioned above. I actually posted in the Montgomery hiring thread on here two years ago for Boston how his system will get the team wins and be frustrating to play against. It was a nightmare when vc played montys Dallas stars vs green Canucks. They had no idea what to do.

Oddly you brought up Julien that was also similar when greens Canucks played the habs coached by Julien.

Last edited:

Rockman74

Feb 10, 2024

Attachments

• D3405F08-3B14-4774-8A7F-DFDEF7EE1637.png
    D3405F08-3B14-4774-8A7F-DFDEF7EE1637.png
    633 KB · Views: 4

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
New GM, same shit. Nepotism bullshit, the guy hire his friend.

They could have gotten local boys like Hartley, Julien, esp, Benoit Broulx who won everything in junior in the Ottawa region with the Olympics. Great coach who needs a break. But nope. Tired of this crap.

If you thought the Sens could not keept players or get UFAs before, it's gonna be worse. Nobody is gonna want to play for Green,

Last edited:
Reactions: SENStastic

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
New GM, same shit. Nepotism bullshit, the guy hire his friend.

They could have gotten local boys like Hartley, Julien, esp, Benoit Broulx who won everything in junior in the Ottawa region with the Olympics. Great coach who needs a break. But nope. Tired of this crap.

If you thought the Sens could not keept players or get UFAs before, it's gonna be worse. Nobody is gonna want to play for Green,

The NHL is ran by the old boys club, nepotism hires run wild in the league. It's who you know. Green has been terrible at the NHL level but the media likes him and his friends are in the OBC.

Reactions: Kimota

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
The NHL is ran by the old boys club, nepotism hires run wild in the league. It's who you know. Green has been terrible at the NHL level but the media likes him and his friends are in the OBC.

The worst is that it's a new owner, we should hope for new ideas, right? But nope! He hire his friend as GM and then the GM hire his own friend as coach! :laugh:

A big reason why Tampa became a force was Julien Brisebois. And Yzerman knew nothing about him. He just hired him cause he was extremely competent. This is how shit must be done. They go for the talent on the ice, why not do the same for management?

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
The worst is that it's a new owner, we should hope for new ideas, right? But nope! He hire his friend as GM and then the GM hire his own friend as coach! :laugh:

A big reason why Tampa became a force was Julien Brisebois. And Yzerman knew nothing about him. He just hired him cause he was extremely competent. This is how shit must be done. They go for the talent on the ice, why not do the same for management?

Green and Staios are buddies? Where did you see/hear that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad