Confirmed with Link: Travis Green named new head coach

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
All coaches try to be tough and try to be fair. That is the nature of the business of coaching in the NHL.

Yeah this presser won't do justice to exactly what Green is planning for this team. That will take time; over the summer and into training camp +
His answers were pretty standard, nothing exciting.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Interesting perspective... An observation... Not dissimilar to the diversity of opinion one can find in NHL fan bases around just about every issue, I expect broad opinions can be found in NHL circles. IOW, both positive and negative takes exist. The giant difference is that we are far less likely to hear NHL connected folks express negatives. While fans (sane or crazy) are free to express whatever they choose on social media with relative impunity (direct attribution or consequence), NHL connected folks have very real interpersonal relationships and reputations to protect. Many NHLers would be reluctant to risk burning bridges for little personal gain. Axe grinders have to be seriously aggrieved (real or perceived) to act.

All to say, the link you provided is valuable as it provides more perspective to consider as we form our personal opinions. Thanks.

Hockey is one of those sports that is big on the buddy buddy network and nepotism.

I have a difficult time listening to all of Green's friends telling the world how wonderful he is. While any information is good, I wouldn't put a lot of weight on it.

We need to see results this year. Pinto in for a full season, Norris (hopefully) has his shoulder issues behind him, clarity in ownership from day one, another year of maturity and experience, and a new coaching staff the players should be trying to impress....I expect the team to do well right out of the gate and challenge for the playoffs until the last day of the season.

Reactions: WallyD

Oscar The Grouch

Oct 16, 2021
The simple fact is, give Travis Green the current Canucks team, and he's up by more than 1 goal against the Oilers right now.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
New coach Travis Green will have time to right the Senators' ship.

This is kind of interesting because it seems like the club has a much different view of the team than many of the fans.

Rome wasn’t built in a day.

And the Ottawa Senators aren’t expecting Travis Green to turn this around overnight.

Introduced as the Senators head coach in a press conference Wednesday afternoon, the 53-year-old Green was given a four-year deal by Steve Staios, the president of hockey operations and general manager, because getting this right will require some work.

“If you look at our group and the growth and potential of our group moving forward, I think that (four-year term) lines up,” Staios said.
You read something like that and it doesn't really intersect much with a fanbase that seems to be frothing at the mouth about how the team needs to make the playoffs right now. It does kinda dovetail pretty well with Ray Ferraro saying that he believes this hire is indicative of the team feeling it needs to acknowledge that they aren't ready to compete, and that a lot more teaching needs to be done.

I think at some point they're going to have to be frank lay this out to the fans so that there's no confusion about what the goals are where they believe this team is in it's evolution.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010

This is kind of interesting because it seems like the club has a much different view of the team than many of the fans.

You read something like that and it doesn't really intersect much with a fanbase that seems to be frothing at the mouth about how the team needs to make the playoffs right now. It does kinda dovetail pretty well with Ray Ferraro saying that he believes this hire is indicative of the team feeling it needs to acknowledge that they aren't ready to compete, and that a lot more teaching needs to be done.

I think at some point they're going to have to be frank lay this out to the fans so that there's no confusion about what the goals are where they believe this team is in it's evolution.
It just goes back to the playoffs vs contender debate. We are years away from the latter, but I don’t see how or why we would readily accept not making the playoffs. This team isn’t young enough to continue to justify being that bad. It’s obviously far from a guarantee that we make it, but it should be the goal and I don’t think it’s an unrealistic one either.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Watching the Canucks team and their young players do play the game the right way. I wonder how much of that is what they learned from Green. Often a team look their worst when they're learning. The biggest difference between the Canucks and the Sens right now is how they are proactive defensively, instead of reactive like the Sens. If Green can get this team playing proactive defensively then they would take huge strides.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Hockey is one of those sports that is big on the buddy buddy network and nepotism.

I have a difficult time listening to all of Green's friends telling the world how wonderful he is. While any information is good, I wouldn't put a lot of weight on it.

We need to see results this year. Pinto in for a full season, Norris (hopefully) has his shoulder issues behind him, clarity in ownership from day one, another year of maturity and experience, and a new coaching staff the players should be trying to impress....I expect the team to do well right out of the gate and challenge for the playoffs until the last day of the season.

I dot think that fair. Most of them say let’s judge him in his work - but let’s be fair to Green he is an NHL coach but he’s taking over a team with no goalies and 3 defenceman. It’s not going to be easy

I’m in the camp of I dont care if
They hired a staff of Scotty Bowman, Pat Burns, John Cooper and Al Arbour I’d still be like “great, don’t care just make the playoffs.”

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

I doubt this will happen because it’s not a mystery or confusing where we are right now, or where we want to progress to.

Are we really that f***ing dumb as fans now that we can’t figure out what the goal is? Do we really expect that we’ll get to personally get to hold the centre or our passion to task?

The entitlement is real. This is simply never going to happen, let’s top pretending.

Get divisive on the message board for sure, fight it out amongst fans and such, but we need stop thinking that the team owes us shit is what I would suggest, because it is never going to happen.

NHL hockey is a business so the only strike back is to let your money talk. They bank on us bitching online instead of tuning out put this in perspective. Are they wrong?

Toothless bitching is tiresome. Chat for what is is, but let’s stop pretending that we’re experts in the mix. It’s embarrassing to watch.

Last edited:

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I think knowledge is important and I wasn't really funning. It would be interesting to see someone such as yourself with a podcast.
Don’t be fooled by the hate from longterm anonymous HFSens posters.

It takes a fair bit of courage and passion to actually put yourself out there and work to get actual hockey personalities to come on to your show and talk. Decidedly easier to throw stones from nowhereland.

It may be a quaint local podcast for the local team, but shit, your likening of dude who reposts Twitter posts and watches lots of hockey to guys who are actually talking to current NHL personalities is unwarranted.

There is a space for tertiary sports coverage, and that’s here.

Let’s not lose perspective, this is a hockey forum filled with people who don’t know much about the inner working of the NHL, have limited connections, but love to speculate about things that they obviously know little about but think they do, due to time spent watching things. That is who we are. Do we really want to listen to each other on the radio?

The boys at LOS have stepped it up. Props due from this level of hockey chat in my opinion.

‘Haters gonna hate’ is absolutely due here, and I have no connection with these guys.

Reactions: Relapsing

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I see some posters who were on a bit of hiatus are back to their normal lectures and routines. Maybe there should be a separate thread for discussing “fans” so others could just focus on discussing hockey, the players, etc.?

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Here’s what he said when Green was fired.

Boudreau is one of the most successful regular season coaches in NHL history and is coming to the Canucks on an agreement that covers this season and next, according to The Athletic’s Pierre LeBrun. That’s a relatively modest investment for a coach with Boudreau’s resume; among the NHL coaches that have coached at least 900 games, Boudreau ranks second in career point percentage behind only Scotty Bowman.

Moreover, Boudreau is known as a player’s coach. That makes him, in some ways, the opposite of Green, who is more in the Pete DeBoer mold and carries a reputation for being obsessively detailed in his approach.

The Athletic reached out to some of Boudreau’s former players on Sunday evening to get a sense of his personality and the description “easy-going” was among the most prominent repeated refrains.

In moving to replace Green with an established, veteran bench boss while going with a more interim-based approach for Benning’s replacement, the organization rather clearly believes the players did need a wake-up call and a fresh set of eyes. Something different to perhaps get some of the club’s underperforming stars going.

Green is a quality bench boss and his proficiency with X’s and O’s and in-game adjustments will make him highly sought after, particularly among teams looking ahead to the postseason. Make no mistake, Green’s work integrating young players and maximizing his roster is highly regarded within the industry.

From Vancouver’s perspective, however, if you’re going to replace a head coach in-season, it’s usually wise to replace him with a coach that might be — in terms of their style and their contrast with the outgoing bench boss — an actual breath of fresh air.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Nice to see he's been consistent in his opinion on green,

You’ll see people on Reddit at the time complaining about how Drance has a “hard on” for Green and blamed all of the team’s struggles on Benning but I guess we shall see.

The overriding point is that you don’t have media people dumping on a coach when they are hired.

They always find guys to say good things about them. That is very much consistent as well.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
You’ll see people on Reddit at the time complaining about how Drance has a “hard on” for Green and blamed all of the team’s struggles on Benning but I guess we shall see.

The overriding point is that you don’t have media people dumping on a coach when they are hired.

They always find guys to say good things about them. That is very much consistent as well.
The counterpoint might be he was willing to dump on Boudreau after he was fired, but hasn't on Green.

Media will generally put a positive spin on the new guy, it all certainly needs to be taken with a grain of salt, I'm more interested in the specifics though, what was perceived as his positives (X's and O's, attention to detail, willingness to give rookies reponsibility, ect) and what were his negatives (could be perceived as cocky, might have a shelf life due to his hard approach, ect)

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
I want Green to succeed as the next Sens fan, but best-in-class doesn’t fit the description. I guess it’s a matter of expectations (as laid out by the new owner).

In the end, we hope that our players have gone through some growth to have matured (less bad habits) and play their best hockey to start the season.

Staios needs to provide his Head Coach with good players to succeed. This team has tons of needs, a re-tool is necessary (but not a full blown rebuild).

Reactions: Relapsing

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Here’s what he said when Green was fired.
And then in his more recent article he said

Following Green’s dismissal, the club went on an extraordinary 57-game run with Boudreau behind the bench, nearly making the playoffs. Locally and nationally that run was seen as a repudiation of Green’s coaching and personality, but though the club benefitted from a breath of fresh air behind the bench that permitted everybody to turn the page on two extremely dysfunctional years, Boudreau likewise benefitted from inheriting the structure Green had put in place. Boudreau simply turned the dial a bit to be somewhat more run-and-gun, leaning on down-ice pressure and emphasizing a punt-and-hunt style in which the team wouldn’t even attempt to break out with possession.

The next season, with no structural backbone whatsoever, the club’s defensive form regressed to its lowest point. Boudreau wasn’t the answer, no more than Green had been the problem.

Reactions: WallyD

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
And then in his more recent article he said

I read the article.

He said nice things about Boudreau when he was hired too.

When Green was fired, they had the worst PK in the league and the PP was terrible, while players like JT Miller were openly revolting.

Anyway, I guess we'll see how well his "structure" and "systems" work and whether the team responds positively to his tough love.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I read the article.

He said nice things about Boudreau when he was hired too.

When Green was fired, they had the worst PK in the league and the PP was terrible, while players like JT Miller were openly revolting.

Anyway, I guess we'll see how well his "structure" and "systems" work and whether the team responds positively to his tough love.

I read them too.

Did Jacques Martin or DJ run the PK or the PP when they were here. How many head coaches take those on? The team struggled that season and Green paid the price along with Benning some of those were laid out. 5on5 they were better.

What's your interpretation of the tweet you posted.? If you question Green's ability.. where do you think he could improve?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
What's your interpretation of the tweet you posted.? If you question Green's ability.. where do you think he could improve?

Coaching players today is not like coaching players in the 80s, 90s and 2000s. Old school coaches have an even more limited shelf life than before.

There's a fine line between instilling a work ethic and making the sport so miserable that players want to leave.

I'm not sure if I trust Travis Green in terms of maintaining that balance.

Sens of Anarchy said:
Did Jacques Martin or DJ run the PK or the PP when they were here. How many head coaches take those on? The team struggled that season and Green paid the price along with Benning some of those were laid out. 5on5 they were better.

Yes, it's apparent from Drance that the issues in Vancouver were the GMs fault, or the fans' fault, or the assistant coach's fault, or the schedule's fault, or COVID's fault, or the issue of injuries, or the players' fault, but not Travis Green's fault.

Meanwhile, the development of Vancouver's players is a credit to Green, the record under Boudreau was a credit to Green, until the team started losing again at which point it was Boudreau's fault.

I think it stretches the boundaries of credibility.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Coaching players today is not like coaching players in the 80s, 90s and 2000s. Old school coaches have an even more limited shelf life than before.

There's a fine line between instilling a work ethic and making the sport so miserable that players want to leave.

I'm not sure if I trust Travis Green in terms of maintaining that balance.

Yes, it's apparent from Drance that the issues in Vancouver were the GMs fault, or the fans' fault, or the assistant coach's fault, or the schedule's fault, or COVID's fault, or the issue of injuries, or the players' fault, but not Travis Green's fault.

Meanwhile, the development of Vancouver's players is a credit to Green, the record under Boudreau was a credit to Green, until the team started losing again at which point it was Boudreau's fault.

I think it stretches the boundaries of credibility.
A well balanced answer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad