Confirmed with Link: Travis Green named new head coach

lancepitlick

Nov 20, 2016
With a record like his, Green is a coach you give a 1-2 year show me deal. Extend him afterwards if he earns it.

But 4 years right off the hop?

Why? I just don't get it. It makes zero sense to me.
I don't know what his pay is, but maybe he's cheap enough that 4 years is fine. You can't do 2 as that's basically a lame duck. So they gave him 3 instead of 4, which is like 900,000?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I didn’t like when they booed Gonchar, on opening night introductions either.
Easily one of the most embarassing moment as a Sens fan and we've had a lot of those.

Basically confirming that a lot of our fan base seriously reads garbage like the Ottawa Sun (since Brennan was the one who suggested he get boo'd on opening night because he was soft on a goal against on the road before the home opener)

lancepitlick

Nov 20, 2016
I honestly have no clue if Green will be bad or good.

All we know is that he'll be a hard ass compared to DJ. Is he the right guy in terms of Xs and Os? I have no idea. It's hard to fully judge coaches/GM, even with 8-10 years of track record, unless they are Milbury or Scotty Bowman.

Everyone thought Babcock was the best coach in the NHL when the Leafs hired him. How'd that work out? Was he ever the best, or was he OK but had amazing rosters and GMs?

People also improve or get worse. Or work in some situations but not others. It's more complicated than record was good therefore good, record was bad therefore bad. Bill Bellicheck was a total loser until he wasn't.

I think we'll have a decent idea after 40 games of how Green fits in in Ottawa. For better or worse.

This isn't an inspiring hire, but I can't say it's going to be horrible either.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Easily one of the most embarassing moment as a Sens fan and we've had a lot of those.

Basically confirming that a lot of our fan base seriously reads garbage like the Ottawa Sun (since Brennan was the one who suggested he get boo'd on opening night because he was soft on a goal against on the road before the home opener)
I don’t think it’s that bad here. I’ve yet to see a jersey toss on the ice. Any other Canadian franchise that had the last 7 years we did would have already done it. We’re easily the most forgiving fanbase in the country.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
I don't know what his pay is, but maybe he's cheap enough that 4 years is fine. You can't do 2 as that's basically a lame duck. So they gave him 3 instead of 4, which is like 900,000?
Paulrus' first contract with us was a 2 year. Won the jack Adams

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I don’t think it’s that bad here. I’ve yet to see a jersey toss on the ice. Any other Canadian franchise that had the last 7 years we did would have already done it. We’re easily the most forgiving fanbase in the country.
It's no different than other franchises.

The Nuggets were booing their team last night and they won the Championship last year and last night was basically the first bit of adversity they've faced all season.

I run in to Canucks, Flames & Oilers "fans" all the time and it's immediately clear I know more about their teams than they do. The amount of fans of teams out there that can't name anyone beyond the top 5 scorers is pretty high, but they consistently have strong, uninformed opinions.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
Andlauer is running a business and maybe Berube wasn't worth the $$ he was asking.
I can't stop my eye from twitching after reading our new owner is running the team as a business.

Now where have I heard that kind of chatter before... Hmm....

• Haha
Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I flew off the handle at the potential finances dictated this, but I can see why they wouldn't have wanted to go there with Berube, especially if he was putting the squeeze on them to pay more for his non desired job opening.

His track record is not that of undisputed success. Plenty to be concerned about there too. I'm warming up to this one tbh, maybe it could be a good one.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Really? It feels the same eh. Did Dorion and EM ever hire a coach with experience? No, did they ever keep anything within the organization. No. Did they actually do their due dilligence. No. Literally the polar opposite happened. Staios and Co interviewed over 10 candidates multiple times and leaked nothing. They didnt hire the cheapest option. Its just not the option that you didnt want. So you came to this conclusion.

Talk about missing the entire point lol.

I said that this feels like if PD finally had the go ahead to hire an experienced NHL coach per the EM and to please the fans' wishes and went and got the worst out of that lot. Sure, technically Green is more experienced than anyone we've had in the last decade, but he's still a budget hire with a losing record and a massive fail in his last stint after not getting hired for two season.

Anyway, try thinking a bit more before replying next time.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Both Ray and Dreger, Lalji and Corrado, and that beat writer for the Canuck Thomas Drance all seem to like the hire.
Don't worry they don't know what they are talking about. The guy on the Canucks board that said they should gave fired him after they went to the AHL final is a much more reliable source.

Talk about missing the entire point lol.

I said that this feels like if PD finally had the go ahead to hire an experienced NHL coach per the EM and to please the fans' wishes and went and got the worst out of that lot. Sure, technically Green is more experienced than anyone we've had in the last decade, but he's still a budget hire with a losing record and a massive fail in his last stint after not getting hired for two season.

Anyway, try thinking a bit more before replying next time.
I mean the post I was talking about you said.

'I just want a coach with NHL experience'

Not sure how else to interpret it. Don't think this is a budget hire either. But I get why people are unhappy you didn't expect this and you wanted Berube who was basically holding the sens hostage because he didn't want to come here.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Travis Green got great goaltending in Vancouver and his team, for the most part, sucked
It's obvious that you set up a burner account to push an agenda. Supposedly you just signed up a few months ago but you literally have dozens and dozens of posts in the last 2 days talking about the Sens coaching situation and your dislike of the Green hiring. Well why not try to be accurate then with your facts?

you say Green got "great " goaltending in Vancouver. Well that's BS.
His #1 goalie Markstrom was middle of the pack in both Save % and GAA all the time he was there. He was never top 10 in any year. That's average not great.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
GAA? Why would you use that stat.

He never had a starter (whether it was Markstrom or Demko) who put up a less than .912SV%. That's well above league average.

They still allowed a lot of goals because they were getting caved in defensively, especially at 5v5. 32.5 SA/g in his 4 full years, 6th worst in the league (we were 2nd worse at 33.8).

Year 1: Markstrom played 60 games and had a .912SV%
Year 2: Markstrom played 60 games and had a .912SV%
Year 3: Markstrom played 48 games and had a .918SV%
Year 4: Demko played 35 games (out of 56) and had a .915SV%

The Senators would kill to have a starter put up those numbers.
Those were average save percentage numbers in those years,

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
It's obvious that you set up a burner account to push an agenda. Supposedly you just signed up a few months ago but you literally have dozens and dozens of posts in the last 2 days talking about the Sens coaching situation and your dislike of the Green hiring. Well why not try to be accurate then with your facts?

you say Green got "great " goaltending in Vancouver. Well that's BS.
His #1 goalie Markstrom was middle of the pack in both Save % and GAA all the time he was there. He was never top 10 in any year. That's average not great.
If that’s how he does with middle-of-the-pack goaltending I can’t wait to see how he does with our two studs.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Wait till these snowflakes look at fans of NFL/NBA and soccer leagues. This is soft compared to that, basically no pressure.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Agreed that, on average, we are very easy going.

But booing Gonchar in his very first home game as a Senator because he made a bad play in game 1 (or was it 2?) and Don Brennan asked for it is pretty damn sad.

EDIT: was not his first home opener as a Senator.

Last edited:

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

But booing Gonchar in his very first home game as a Senator because he made a bad play in game 1 (or was it 2?) and Don Brennan asked for it is pretty damn sad.

He played in the playoffs for Ottawa before ever playing a home game as a senator?

Might not be the way you remembered it lol

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa

Still my one and only letter-to-the-editor published in the Sun, defending Gonchar against the boos.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON

That was in his second season I’m pretty sure, after a pretty lacklustre first season. Not defending it, but it wasn’t his first hole game as a Senator.

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Andlauer is running a business and maybe Berube wasn't worth the $$ he was asking. Green is a pro and his reputation will be measured immediately by this hire and most importantly, the success he can bring to the team's performance.
Gotta give him a shot!
To me, player acquisition and potential trades to make the Sens more competitive is more significant and this lies on the GM and his hockey operations guys.
The team did NOT have to give Green a shot at being the head coach.

There were other previously EXPERIENCED and SUCCESSFUL NHL coaches available for hire.

I find this hire is not consistent with the "best in class" mantra.

Neither was hiring Staios as the POHO and GM.

As fans we are stuck with this management team.

I had hoped for a lot more from the new owner than we are getting now.

We have to live with these hirings for the next few years, similar to the Melnyk-Dorion years.

As a fan I hope it works out and the team makes the playoffs next season and wins the first round.

Right now I do not have faith that this will happen.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Sorry I tried to isolate each question and never went back to edit structure.

Having separated sentences is much easier to read than run-on sentences or mega paragraphs, so atleast there's that.
LOL.

Tomes = TL;DNR.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad