Confirmed with Link: Travis Green named new head coach

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Even at that, you have heard some low key chatter from owners about trying to ratchet back the money and term that coaches were getting. Unofficial word is that Brind'amour is only making $1.9 million per year on his current deal, and his owner is allergic to paying big money to any coach, even one as good as Brind'amour.
Friedman also said something about how all the coaches that got fired before their deals kicked in this year would have an impact on coach salaries going forward.

flyingfingers

Mar 6, 2024
I mean, every coach in the league is making less than 5 million, sans Sullivan who is likely to be a free agent as well. Bednar just won a cup and signed for less than 5 million

If Berube is making 6 plus million, my condolences to the team paying that

Why? Coaching salaries don't impact the cap. If you get a good coach and overpay him, it doesn't matter. It's not like overpaying a player.

I never get why people are so sympathetic to the financial concerns of these billionaire owners around costs that don't impact the salary cap.

Reactions: ijif

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Why? Coaching salaries don't impact the cap. If you get a good coach and overpay him, it doesn't matter. It's not like overpaying a player.

I never get why people are so sympathetic to the financial concerns of these billionaire owners around costs that don't impact the salary cap.
Because they'd likely get the exact same outcome hiring a guy for 3 million

A coach isn't turning good teams bad or bad teams good

flyingfingers

Mar 6, 2024
Because they'd likely get the exact same outcome hiring a guy for 3 million

A coach isn't turning good teams bad or bad teams good

But what does it matter to a fan that the owner saved 3 million?

And we'll have to disagree on the impact coaching can have.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Not really. I judge what happens for what it is. This team was an absolute disaster under Melnyk and Dorion for the last 7 years (or whatever it was), and we all rightly shit on them for it.

The new guys have come in, and despite touting silly slogans, have so far continued to disappoint. I have no problem calling that out just because they're new.

Hey, maybe I'll be wrong. But I remember lots of people telling other fans to wait and see about many of Dorion and Melnyk's decisions too. But most of them ended up being what we thought they were going to be.
There is a possibility this works out well too. I know it seems unlikely, and this hiring was always guaranteed to land with a thud, but nothing is for sure here.

SS could make some savvy moves this summer, like putting Korpisalo on the next flight to the moon, and Green could come in and they win games.

Reactions: lang006

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
That is actually what he said. Ottawa was in discussions with Berube, but he had a price and Ottawa was not willing to go up to that price for whatever reason, so they moved on to other candidates.

And yes, I imagine it was "quite a bit". Because good coaches cost "quite a bit".

As Jamie McLennan always says, there is a cold weather tax in Canada. And if you're not willing to pay that tax, you're not going to get the guys you want. And we again seem to have an ownership group that won't pay the tax.

And where has Andlauer spent any money, so far, from a hockey ops perspective? Right now, Staios is both President and GM, he's hired a VP who hadn't worked in the league for 10 years, and we're 60 days away from the draft and free-agency but don't have a head amateur or pro scout.

How is that any different than the Pierre Dorion led front-office? It's still a skeleton crew with no winning pedigree.

Honestly Andlauer had to hire 1 person with a winning track record as an executive or coach in the NHL. One! That's it! And he hasn't done it, while trotting out slogans as stupid as "unparalled success".

We've got some new lighting at CTC. Cool. As a fellow STH, I've pretty underwhelmed by this management group, which sucks because we all just went through the miserable Melnyk years.
No what he actually said was what I wrote down. In the post you quoted. I watched the program and took verbatim notes. Did you not read what you quoted? I actually cant believe this response. Are you just too busy living in a fantasy world wanting to hear yourself speak.

You keep posting inaccurate garbage.

Since Andlauder has taken over they have hired amateur scouts, pros in hockey player development, analytics, bolstered the the fitness program with literally the best in the business. Fired two pro scouts from the dorion regime and are in the process of hiring replacements. In hockey ops they have hired Poulin, Jacques Martins and Daniel Alfredsson.

So no its not just been one person. If you want to contribute try and be a little bit accurate if not dont post.

The truth hurts.

What this truth?!

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Not really. I judge what happens for what it is. This team was an absolute disaster under Melnyk and Dorion for the last 7 years (or whatever it was), and we all rightly shit on them for it.

The new guys have come in, and despite touting silly slogans, have so far continued to disappoint. I have no problem calling that out just because they're new.

Hey, maybe I'll be wrong. But I remember lots of people telling other fans to wait and see about many of Dorion and Melnyk's decisions too. But most of them ended up being what we thought they were going to be.
I would argue that many of his worst decisions were beloved (Duchene, Debrincat, Chychrun, arguably Murray) and many of his best decision were despised (Stützle, Sanderson, Greig, Pinto, Kleven, Ostapchuk).

It is selection bias. Obviously there were many people who correctly identified bad & good decisions for what they were, but I suspect that it was at a rate just slightly higher than random. Of course, if you were constantly negative you would probably have been right more often than if you were constantly positive, but we have no basis to assume that for this current regime other than "it's not what I wanted!!!"

Reactions: LiseL and PlayOn

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Can't be trusted, he's just saying nice stuff so that he will continue to get interviews. Hockey db is the only trustworthy source...

Apparently he didn't do anything wrong at all in Vancouver the whole time he was there.

Maybe they should give us Tocchet and they can have Green back.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Berube probably went along with it, but knows he can get a job in TO or wherever he wants really. Green is slightly intriguing, in that his AHL coaching tenure started so badly (0-8-2, I think), but when guys listened to what he was saying and bought it, they missed the playoffs by 4 points.

This is where guys have to listen - and it'll be tough, but they have to. IF they do, then maybe he can be the voice for a while. I hope so.

I look at the Devils as a position I wouldn't judge any coach in. Thrown into the fire.

EDIT: Although, this feels like me talking myself into Korpisalo maybe being good last year.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Apparently he didn't do anything wrong at all in Vancouver the whole time he was there.

Maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle and everyone should step away from the ledge?

Nah, it's one extreme or the other, either he is marvel Jesus, or el Diablo...

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

Who here has said anything close to that?

People are pushing back against the argument that he didn't do anything right his whole time in Vancouver.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The truth hurts.

Buddy you havent said anything that is accurate all you have done is post fallacies.

It was obvious Dorion had no clue what he was doing. I have the posts to prove it. You've been here two weeks and provided nothing but inaccurate negativity.

Reactions: Loach

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
I mean, every coach in the league is making less than 5 million, sans Sullivan who is likely to be a free agent as well. Bednar just won a cup and signed for less than 5 million

And ask Penguins fans what they think of their 5M best in class coach

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle and everyone should step away from the ledge?

Nah, it's one extreme or the other, either he is marvel Jesus, or el Diablo...

Not really.

There's a whole range of perspectives in between.

Most of them are different variations of "wait and see" with different expectations of the eventual outcome.

Reactions: DrEasy

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Quote the entire post please. I also didn't lose my mind on the hiring of DJ. Again there pages of proof. I was even accused of being a DJ defender. Around 30 posts up I talk about DJ and his tenure here youre welcome to re visit it.

I've provided plenty of context and we'll thought out discussion in regards to the Green hire. Plenty of opportunity for you to have a productive conversation. It's a shame that you have to take this hostile position with so many posters. People come to this site to have a productive discussion. When you gas light in this way it really takes away from the overall experience. Maybe you can re visit my posts and we can have a well thought out conversation.
I never mentioned DJ and whether you defended him or not, so why would I bring that up? Furthermore, I’ve never accused you of being against the DJ hire or where your opinion of him stood at various points throughout his tenure.

That’s all besides the point that if Dorion was the GM hiring Green you’d be losing your f***ing mind right now. You just can’t be honest with yourself about this, huh?

Staios hires Green: let’s be patient and wait.
Dorion hires Green: a tidal wave of insults and putdowns directed towards Dorion.

That’s facts. I don’t even know why you would perceive that as a hostile position. You literally hated the guy and if he had made this hire, you wouldn’t have reacted this charitably. Just admit it to yourself at least, if you’re not going to own up to it to the rest of us.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Who said that? He clearly made some errors with how he handled certain players.

flyingfingers

Mar 6, 2024
And ask Penguins fans what they think of their 5M best in class coach

Well he won them two Stanley Cups, so while they may be sick of him now that he's been there so long, they'll all give him a standing ovation whenever he's inducted into their Ring of Honor (or whatever they have there).

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
This hire feels exactly like if we were still in the PD/EM era, and they were like, "Oh the fans want a coach with actual NHL experience? Here ya go!"
Really? It feels the same eh. Did Dorion and EM ever hire a coach with experience? No, did they ever keep anything within the organization. No. Did they actually do their due dilligence. No. Literally the polar opposite happened. Staios and Co interviewed over 10 candidates multiple times and leaked nothing. They didnt hire the cheapest option. Its just not the option that you didnt want. So you came to this conclusion.

• Haha
Reactions: coladin

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Complete loser hire. Staios is an idiot. More personality in the dried out scone sitting on my desk

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Well he won them two Stanley Cups, so while they may be sick of him now that he's been there so long, they'll all give him a standing ovation whenever he's inducted into their Ring of Honor (or whatever they have there).
Crosby (and Malkin) won them two cups, and I like Sullivan.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

@jhutter 'the truth hurts' eh

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
It keeps getting worse. Friedman saying that we went far in negotiations with Berube but the issue was the money.

BEST IN CLASS HAHAHAHAHAHA

I am just done man, I can’t justify shit like this anymore. I need a second team like a motherf***er.
Andlauer is a broke ass billionaire. Should have went Remington or Neko Sparks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad