Confirmed with Link: Travis Green named new head coach

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
I like 8-20-1 in 21 games. The math isn’t mathing
Best in class throughout the organization... except coaching, management, and whoever writes our press releases.

Guess we're doomed to remain a second-rate org with budget hires no matter what. Enthusiasm for next season is at zero right now.
Not to beat a dead horse to a pulp, but we could have had Ryan f***ing Reynolds. At least he's funny.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
There are very few coaches I would give a four year deal to without having actually coached the team first.

Green sure as hell isn't one of them.

I get the sense we don't have the extra cash to burn on frivolous shit like Travis Green
There are very few franchises out there unwilling to fire a coach early. That’s like Melnyk level budgeting and there’s no evidence of it.

Wanting to make smart financial decisions is not the same thing.

Reactions: ChurchOfAlfie

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
If he sucks they will fire him like every other NHL org fires their coaches, sometimes before their deal even kicks in. Does it really matter?
If we're a small market team that has to be careful about how they spend their money, firing a multi million dollar coach mid contract is a colossal waste of money.

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
Disappointed with the choice, but it's done. That's how I felt with picking Tkachuk over Zadina, so hopefully it ages like that choice did.

On the bright side, Green has a reputation for killer training camps (google image search "Olli Juolevi training camp") so hopefully that translates to a better start next year. And I would hope that he's learned some lessons from his Vancouver days and is a better coach now.

We'll see.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Not feeling optimistic about this.

But, it's also one hell of a flawed roster to work with. I have a feeling they're going to bite the bullet and rebuild the rebuild. Then again, could be a good thing with that Gavin McKenna kid on the horizon. Get him as a new cornerstone, and rebuild right starting with a blue chip RD in the draft next month.....

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
The four year deal doesn't scream "short term window to win" to me. This might be a real reset where Green gets a year or two to implement his vision before he's expected to produce significant results. It would seemingly go hand in hand with the patient approach so far and Staois' comments about the expectations being detrimental.

It's not what I want, or what I was expecting, but management might not see this group/core in the same light as the fan base and are going to be patient (possibly to a fault but that's for another thread). It'll be real interesting to see what else happens this off-season but as of now it feels like internally they don't necessarily expect (or need to produce) a giant step step forward next season.

Reactions: YouGotAStuGoing

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Management saw how desperate we all were to finally get a proper NHL coach with winning experience so we could have some hope going into the off-season, and they chose to drop a big ol' stinky turd on our collective chests.

Being a Sens fan isn't fun anymore.

Reactions: DrEasy

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
The four year deal doesn't scream "short term window to win" to me. This might be a real reset where Green gets a year or two to implement his vision before he's expected to produce significant results. It would seemingly go hand in hand with the patient approach so far and Staois' comments about the expectations being detrimental.

It's not what I want, or what I was expecting, but management might not see this group/core in the same light as the fan base and are going to be patient (possibly to a fault but that's for another thread). It'll be real interesting to see what else happens this off-season but as of now it feels like internally they don't necessarily expect (or need to produce) a giant step step forward next season.
People have been expecting too much, look at what Berube just said.

It "should" be expected because we went through an 8 year ground up rebuild, but expectations aren't in line with the team we have

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt, but I'm concerned that management might not fully grasp the urgency of the situation. Time is of the essence, and there's pressure to ensure success this season. While management sees this as just the first year with room for development, changing culture, 'playing meaningful games' etc, key players like Tkachuk may not share that perspective. They feel the need to make this season a winning one, or we may see some players considering leaving.

That's why I'm skeptical about this hiring decision. There were other proven winning coaches available, and opting for a more uncertain choice feels risky. Right now, we need a sure thing more than ever.

I hope I'm wrong. If so, it means success for the team.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
I've never felt so disconnected from this team. At least there was always this glimmer of hope things would change once ownership was different and we got a new GM. Instead, its the same old shit. f*** off!!

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt, but I'm concerned that management might not fully grasp the urgency of the situation. Time is of the essence, and there's pressure to ensure success this season. While management sees this as just the first year with room for development, key players like Tkachuk may not share that perspective. They feel the need to make this season a winning one, or we may see some players considering leaving.

That's why I'm skeptical about this hiring decision. There were other proven winning coaches available, and opting for a more uncertain choice feels risky. Right now, we need a sure thing more than ever.

I hope I'm wrong. If so, it means success for the team.

After dealing with Dj Smith for years, i just cannot give them the benefit of the doubt.

If things work out, i will gladly come here and admit i was wrong.

But as of now, i am extremely disappointed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad