Travis Dermott

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
What do we have in Travis Dermott?

He's never lauded as a guy that won us a game.

He's never lambasted as a guy that cost us a game.

He's quiet, does his job, meh production even without PP time, but puts up safe minutes for a bottom pairing guy.

I'm not sure about play style, but he comes off as a Gunnarsson to me, in that he just kind of quietly goes about doing his work, but you might miss him in your bottom 4 if you ship him away.

Do you think he takes another step into a solid minute-eating top-4 guy? Do you see him taking any primary special teams duties in the near future?

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
I will give you a tip. NHLers. Once you get into the show. You are part of the club.

I do biz, socialize with quite a few NHLers. You can say just about anything. Just don't ask about one of their teammates, you will get a face that even the stone faced, cigar store indian Joe Biden cannot create.

So to answer your question. Hockey boards really are relevant. Because, NHL players protect their own.

You would have to be married to one of them or be related or be lucky to have been invited to Tom Wilson's celebration party in North York to hear even one decent story.

NHLers love it. Why? Not because, they don't want fans to have a fun fan experience, but because they feel they have been taken advantage of, for decades.

So. Dermott? We have to go by icetime .

By my reports, which of course are scanty. Great guy, great teammate. Lol. I hear that almost every time.

His injury, was severe. He is not big. He is powerful, but a powerful small guy.

I like the guy. Hope he has a long and very lucrative career. Will always cheer for him.

I don't worry when he is on the ice.

I wish I had more to say about him. I will say this, if he wasn't worried about re separating his shoulder? This board would be a lot more positive about him.

But it is, what it is. A good hockey player, small, but tough, someone you should not just give up.

I will also say. No one is speaking up, yay, or nay. Isn't that what you want from a Dman? Just a rock that you don't notice?

Let this guy's shoulder heal for another year, let him train hard. Lets see, in the meantime, no one is calling for his head, which in Leafland, must be heaven for a Leaf player.

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
I will give you a tip. NHLers. Once you get into the show. You are part of the club.

I do biz, socialize with quite a few NHLers. You can say just about anything. Just don't ask about one of their teammates, you will get a face that even the stone faced, cigar store indian Joe Biden cannot create.

So to answer your question. Hockey boards really are relevant. Because, NHL players protect their own.

You would have to be married to one of them or be related or be lucky to have been invited to Tom Wilson's celebration party in North York to hear even one decent story.

NHLers love it. Why? Not because, they don't want fans to have a fun fan experience, but because they feel they have been taken advantage of, for decades.

By my reports, which of course are scanty. Great guy, great teammate. Lol. I hear that almost every time.

His injury, was severe. He is not big. He is powerful, but a powerful small guy.

I like the guy. Hope he has a long and very lucrative career. Will always cheer for him.

I wish I had more to say about him. I will say this, if he wasn't worried about re separating his shoulder? This board would be a lot more positive about him.

But it is, what it is. A good hockey player, small, but tough, someone you should not just give up.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

I will also say. No one is speaking up, yay, or nay. Isn't that what you want from a Dman? Just a rock that you don't notice?

Let this guy's shoulder heal for another year, let him train hard. Lets see, in the meantime, no one is calling for his head, which in Leafland, must be heaven for a Leaf player.
Oh yeah the no league call injury. Remember it well. Refs allowed anyone to run him. Should have been a suspension

Reactions: LeafsRus

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Barely noticed him all season until last game. Seemed like the first time his head fakes and stutter steps actually did something, he opened up room for himself in our D-zone 5 or 6 times making those slippery little plays.

That being said I hope it doesn't go to his head because I have a feeling I'm going to hate that when we're playing a team that isn't so mediocre and obsessed with trapping.

I want to see what he'd be capable of paired with Brodie and given Rielly's permanent green light, minutes, and infinite leash. He seems like he thrives on confidence, kinda like a broke man's Subban.

Reactions: justloveleafs

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Quickest defenseman on the team. Should be getting reps on the powerplay and moving his development along. Being so good all year. Leafs are developing him to slow. He needs more. PK and PP
Putting Muzzin and his slow feet on the powerplay and not Dermotts quickness. What does that say. He’s not stupid and most ofbthe time gets his shots through smartly on net.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Quickest defenseman on the team. Should be getting reps on the powerplay and moving his development along. Being so good all year. Leafs are developing him to slow. He needs more. PK and PP
Putting Muzzin and his slow feet on the powerplay and not Dermotts quickness. What does that say. He’s not stupid and most ofbthe time gets his shots through smartly on net.
Generally if players deserve to play higher in the lineup they dominate softer minutes. Dermott is fine, he plays well but he hasn't busted the door down and demanded he be played higher up and he absolutely does not have the offensive ability to play on the PP. How well he skates is entirely irrelevant. He can't make a decision with the puck on his stick in the offensive zone.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Generally if players deserve to play higher in the lineup they dominate softer minutes. Dermott is fine, he plays well but he hasn't busted the door down and demanded he be played higher up and he absolutely does not have the offensive ability to play on the PP. How well he skates is entirely irrelevant. He can't make a decision with the puck on his stick in the offensive zone.
He most definitely does have the ability to play powerplay. When has Muzzin been busting the door down to play powerplay. The guy is a case study for slow feet. He gets caught a bit he’s not catching anyone. He gotten caught lots this year. Dermott is good. Underutilized. Furthermore I don’t think you know what you are talking about. Worst post wow. Just spout bull with nothing to prove it because he’s never been given the chance. Maybe we all missed it. When was it he was given the chance to prove he’s no good again. Just garbage

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

I always liked forechecking, rumbling around the rails, not quite the same via keystrokes, but yeah, I felt it.

Cheers.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
The guy would be wise to hold out and force them to deal him if they have no respect for his development and quality game. Which they don’t. He was awesome when Rielly and Muzzin were out. Forget about that jeezus. I digress

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
He most definitely does have the ability to play powerplay. When has Muzzin been busting the door down to play powerplay. The guy is a case study for slow feet. He gets caught a bit he’s not catching anyone. He gotten caught lots this year. Dermott is good. Underutilized. Furthermore I don’t think you know what you are talking about. Worst post wow. Just spout bull with nothing to prove it because he’s never been given the chance. Maybe we all missed it. When was it he was given the chance to prove he’s no good again. Just garbage
Are you related to Dermott or something? lol it will be okay. I don't think he is as good as you. It is what it is.

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
"Barely noticed him all season until last game."

Pretty sure that's what you want from a 3rd pairing guy. I have no complaints about him. His progress has obviously stalled but he doesn't seem to be a liability.

Great post, let the kid grow. He is homegrown. When I see gaffes from Leaf dmen, I see other guys.

Let me put in a pitch for Bogosian.

Woof, Dubas, what an acquire.

We're all bored, its getting into summer. Lets see some playoff hockey.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
How can you complain about him as a 6th? Looks like he’s starting to jump into plays more, nice to see, because prior he had really been overly cautious and he has more to show. I absolutely think he could do some PP time. Defensively he’s been relatively sound and been a decent pair with Bogo, again it’s a bottom pair in the NHL, what are people expecting?

Still a chance he finds another level and cracks a Top 4.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I'm a bit surprised he hasn't received more of a look on the secondary PK unit. Of course, the team isn't exactly short on d-men with the ability to play on the PK. I wouldn't particularly be looking to move him in the event he isn't lost to Seattle in the expansion draft. Hutton could be another defender to add to the list of possibilities for next season's blueline though.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
How can you complain about him as a 6th? Looks like he’s starting to jump into plays more, nice to see, because prior he had really been overly cautious and he has more to show. I absolutely think he could do some PP time. Defensively he’s been relatively sound and been a decent pair with Bogo, again it’s a bottom pair in the NHL, what are people expecting?

If development were linear, I would disagree. But it's not, and I agree.

He's the guy that leaves your team and when he turns 27 he's a solid player in the top-4 of a Stanley cup finals a la Stralman and Gunnarsson.

Reactions: DarkKnight

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario

Thanks. The kid has some stuff. Had a really bad shoulder injury and yet no one here complains? That bodes top four to me.

Reactions: DarkKnight

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Meh most of year to-date but last 2 games he has excelled ... maybe trade for Hutton got him going ... he is good friends with one of my kids over many years of hockey .. seen him play hundreds of times since he could p*ss straight ... he has more in him ... one of skills I have not seen him execute with Leafs is his ability to catch guys with their heads down and jump up and hit them to moon.. although he was always small as previous poster noted he is very strong for his size and always took on da big boys on other team .. he can skate too, not Rielly fast, but d*mn close ... and he can carry da puck up ice which we don't see with Leafs yet ... shot is ok, not great, but hard ... i was expecting more development this year with Bogo ... it has not that he has been bad but I thought we would see a bigger progression in his confidence to carry da game more ... defense in pro hockey is a long long term development game so it is next to impossible to know where he will end up .. my guess is becomes a top 4 regular in Seattle next year and eventually becomes a strong #2 man in league in next 3-4 years

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
Meh most of year to-date but last 2 games he has excelled ... maybe trade for Hutton got him going ... he is good friends with one of my kids over many years of hockey .. seen him play hundreds of times since he could p*ss straight ... he has more in him ... one of skills I have not seen him execute with Leafs is his ability to catch guys with their heads down and jump up and hit them to moon.. although he was always small as previous poster noted he is very strong for his size and always took on da big boys on other team .. he can skate too, not Rielly fast, but d*mn close ... and he can carry da puck up ice which we don't see with Leafs yet ... shot is ok, not great, but hard ... i was expecting more development this year with Bogo ... it has not that he has been bad but I thought we would see a bigger progression in his confidence to carry da game more ... defense in pro hockey is a long long term development game so it is next to impossible to know where he will end up .. my guess is becomes a top 4 regular in Seattle next year and eventually becomes a strong #2 man in league in next 3-4 years

That, is what I see in him. He is still a young, man. Crippled by a potentially career ending injury, and coming back, well.

He has some Tim Horton in him. Small, but built like a bull. Keep him Dubas. Kid could really be something. He has some feisty in him. And he can skate, shoot and pass.

Your salient point, to me was. "he has more in him". Agreed.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I like Dermott. His rookie season was very promsing and you got flashes of upside, great footwork, and jumping in the rush. He's still pretty effective at transition defense, but it definitely looks like he's been coached to play a "safer" game. The injury might have something to do with it too.

His underlying profile looks a lot like a younger Nate Schmidt. I expect he'll get a bigger role with Seattle and show that he can be a competent top-four player.

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
I like Dermott. His rookie season was very promsing and you got flashes of upside, great footwork, and jumping in the rush. He's still pretty effective at transition defense, but it definitely looks like he's been coached to play a "safer" game. The injury might have something to do with it too.

His underlying profile looks a lot like a younger Nate Schmidt. I expect he'll get a bigger role with Seattle and show that he can be a competent top-four player.

I agree, and I gave you a like. But I don't want to see this guy go. I called all over the internet that Schenn was a nice kid, a good kid, but not all that. I also called Ryan O'Reilly as being huge. Way undersold in terms of draft.

I see something in Dermott, same for Liljegren.

Btw, Dubas god bless him, just cannot help himself. He wanted the great smurf out of Phoenix, Conor Garland, a tazmanian devil of a player, over Nick Foligno.

Dubas loves players like Dermott and Garland. But he printed up, Sabourin last night.

Was everyone entertained? Me no? But blood was shed.

Thankfully, I think Dubas sees what I see in Liljegren and is just playing him perfectly for his ELC status.

Dermott, I suspect, Dubas, likes, skate well, really well, shoot, pass, and ultimately score.

I could be wrong, but I cannot remember when.

I woulda taken Forsberg over Rielly, shoot me.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
That, is what I see in him. He is still a young, man. Crippled by a potentially career ending injury, and coming back, well.

He has some Tim Horton in him. Small, but built like a bull. Keep him Dubas. Kid could really be something. He has some feisty in him. And he can skate, shoot and pass.

Your salient point, to me was. "he has more in him". Agreed.
I hope he develops more and I would place a bet saying he will but it is far from certain ... plus we have to manage Sandin and Lily into our lineup ... it is a very very tough call that Dubie has to make here ... to me I would do a trade with seattle but it could really backfire too ... da safe bet for Dubie will be to just expose him ... that would be what I think will occur

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad