Travis Dermott

Riellyfan04

Feb 25, 2010
Toronto On
The guy has played some awesome defensively hockey this year. Do you guys think Babcock is holding him back just like be did to Rielly to develop his defensively plays before he starts letting him play more offensively? Rielly has really improved his defensively game this year and last year and now hes finally showing his elite offensively talent. Maybe, hes doing the same with Dermott. We seen dermotts potential offensicly last year.

unitedstars87

Jun 2, 2006
He kind of reminds me of Chris Phillips. Maybe not as good defensively but could be a little more offensive.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
He's been terrific defensively. I think he's been pretty unlucky offensively, and hasn't really been put in much of a position to succeed at that side of the game. It looks like Babcock wants to take things slow with him and let him develop into a defensive force before giving him some offensive leash

Reactions: Riellyfan04

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
He's now making the quick up more than skating it up which I attribute to the coaches. He isn't getting PP time. It's a process, I expect to see more offence as he progresses. I'm ecstatic where he is at the moment, and expect him to be a legit top 4 by the second half. He's so smart, with the little plays, his head is really fast at processing plays, exceptionally so.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Kinda agree, which means we need to be prepared to lose another UFA for nothing....

It's unfortunately what happens to good teams. We are going to have to start young players when they succeed however. Etc Johnsson catches fire and scores 50 points next year there's no way the leafs can afford him and they would need to deal him for picks and prospects.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
The guy has played some awesome defensively hockey this year. Do you guys think Babcock is holding him back just like be did to Rielly to develop his defensively plays before he starts letting him play more offensively? Rielly has really improved his defensively game this year and last year and now hes finally showing his elite offensively talent. Maybe, hes doing the same with Dermott. We seen dermotts potential offensicly last year.

Yes absolutely. He has the stop sign on him. Perfectly acceptable too at this point in his development.

Great job defensively by him yes. Still learning but looking really good all the same.

Reactions: Riellyfan04

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
playing in bigger minutes this year...look at his underlying metrics, holy hell. He looked like a possession star last year if you expected a bit of regression as his role increased, no one expected his metrics and relatives to improve by about double.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
playing in bigger minutes this year...look at his underlying metrics, holy hell. He looked like a possession star last year if you expected a bit of regression as his role increased, no one expected his metrics and relatives to improve by about double.
He's being brought along slowly. One thing I really don't like about Babcock is the head games. He called out Dermott in the press in preseason, and I don't get that.

Having said that, he's responded by basically showing he may arguably be the Leafs 2nd best D-man this season.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Dermott is actually amazing. No slight to other D on our team minus Rielly (who also looks absolutely amazing this year), but when Dermott is on the ice, I feel calm. He sidesteps out of pressure nearly perfectly in every situation, moves the puck well, is mobile, great defensively. At this point, he's definitely a top 4 D. He's got potential to be a top pairing tweener who can move up to top pairing just fine and move in between top 2 and top 4 without missing a beat. Get one more D like him (hopefully Sandin will be that guy), and this D core is more than ready to contend for a cup.

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
Liljegren has picked up his game recently and has scored a couple of NHL like goals. Plus he made a pass from heaven to a guy via a stretch pass. He is starting to look like he is close as well.

Lotta cheap ELC talent coming with him and Sandin.

Travis Dermott? Loved him the first minute I saw him play, how this guy slipped to the second round is beyond me. Glad he did.

I think ultimately he can be a good number 2 guy. But in the meantime he is a very good 4

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
He's being brought along slowly. One thing I really don't like about Babcock is the head games. He called out Dermott in the press in preseason, and I don't get that.

Having said that, he's responded by basically showing he may arguably be the Leafs 2nd best D-man this season.
his role has expanded from last season already though, and the thing that got us really excited about Dermott (his utter dominance of opposition across the possession metric spectrum and obvious positive impact on line mates in terms of relatives) has actually improved by a lot as the role has expanded which I certainly wasn't expecting. I'm sure some of it will balance out as the sample size increases but he looks like a dominant force in WOWY's and possession metric rankings

agree on Babcock, not sure why he chose Dermott to call out when he's obviously too good to take ice time from

Reactions: kb

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Liljegren has picked up his game recently and has scored a couple of NHL like goals. Plus he made a pass from heaven to a guy via a stretch pass. He is starting to look like he is close as well.

Lotta cheap ELC talent coming with him and Sandin.

Travis Dermott? Loved him the first minute I saw him play, how this guy slipped to the second round is beyond me. Glad he did.

I think ultimately he can be a good number 2 guy. But in the meantime he is a very good 4

Dubas just continuing to show why he will be widely regarded as the best GM in the league.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
If Dermott can continue to progress that would be awesome. I would like to see Babcock giving him RHD minutes so he can eventually play with Reilly for our Keith-Seabrook pairing that the Hawks have had for years. I personally feel the right hand shooting Dman stuff is bogus. A good player is a good player. Future looks bright with pairings as such:

Reilly-Dermott
Sandin-Llijegren
Borgman/Rosen-Zaitsev

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
Dermott gambles all the time. If this is what he looks like with the leash on I'd hate to see him with it off. I also don't remember Reilly playing all that conservatively in the past so I suspect he simply got better especially on the PP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad