Prospect Info: Travis Dermott, quietly leading all defenseman

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
A lot of talk about Marner (well-deserved) but let's not forget abut Dermott. He has 13 points in 10 playoff games, leading all defenseman in points. So far

In the regular season he had 43 points in 51 games, placing him as 12th in scoring (despite playing 10-15 games less than those who have more points).

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
A lot of talk about Marner (well-deserved) but let's not forget abut Dermott. He has 13 points in 10 playoff games, leading all defenseman in points. So far

In the regular season he had 43 points in 61 games, placing him as 12th in scoring (despite playing 10-15 games less than those who have more points).
Think you meant to say 51

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
The next wave of dmen, Dermott, Nielsen, Valiev, etc, look pretty good. Better than Harrington, Percy, Loov, etc from the same age IMO.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Yep - they actually seem to have a chance at developing into a top 2-3 defender.

and i used to read Finn/Percy had top pair upside as well

fortunately our new crop actually does have better upside but right now i don't see any topping out to be any higher than a 2nd pair D which isn't bad at all considering none of them were 1st rd pucks

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
and i used to read Finn/Percy had top pair upside as well

fortunately our new crop actually does have better upside but right now i don't see any topping out to be any higher than a 2nd pair D which isn't bad at all considering none of them were 1st rd pucks

Yes and it was wrong....both with skating issues...I was attacked by most every time I posted that they were projects and drafted too high.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
He is a product of a very good Eerie team as it stands right now.

He has so much to prove outside of the OHL, the question is if he can or not.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I really like Dermott.

With that being said, I see him topping out at as a really good 3rd d-man rather than a 1-2. Nothing wrong with that.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I like his quiet unassuming ways. He is not flashy but he is very effective on both sides of the puck.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
For some reason, everyone on this board loved Bracco when Dermott was always the superior prospect and picked higher for a reason. I also have no clue how Bracco finished ahead of Dermott in the prospect ranking. It never made sense to me...Bracco has been disappointing to me whenever I watch him. Not only is he severely undersized, he hasn't been able to produce, he's a perimeter player who has very sub-par skating. Hope I'm wrong about him and he steps up his game next year and beyond.

Dermott's nothing like Finn and Percy, who's selections I never agreed with. Not being able to skate in the new NHL as a defenseman? I'm still not sure what Burke + Hunter were thinking.

Dermott is real good, he makes quick decisions and is a relatively good skater. Lock to be a NHL d-man in the future. He has the ceiling of a Justin Faulk type but more likely bottoms out as a 2nd pairing guy. The biggest flaw with him is his shot sucks.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
The vaccum used to makes us over hype..

And then cross our fingers a lot. I don't disagree with the Percy pick but even Hunter called the draft a "crap shoot." We had hoped Percy would develop better now he is being eclipsed by too many in the organization. I liked the Dermott pick but felt we were overdoing the small but skilled in the last draft. We had already taken Marner and had Nylander,Brown and Kappanen etc.I doubt Bracco ever makes the Leafs.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
For some reason, everyone on this board loved Bracco when Dermott was always the superior prospect and picked higher for a reason. I also have no clue how Bracco finished ahead of Dermott in the prospect ranking. It never made sense to me...Bracco has been disappointing to me whenever I watch him. Not only is he severely undersized, he hasn't been able to produce, he's a perimeter player who has very sub-par skating. Hope I'm wrong about him and he steps up his game next year and beyond.

Dermott's nothing like Finn and Percy, who's selections I never agreed with. Not being able to skate in the new NHL as a defenseman? I'm still not sure what Burke + Hunter were thinking.

Dermott is real good, he makes quick decisions and is a relatively good skater. Lock to be a NHL d-man in the future. He has the ceiling of a Justin Faulk type but more likely bottoms out as a 2nd pairing guy. The biggest flaw with him is his shot sucks.

I've always maintained that the way the Leafs kept trading down, they were thinking of Bracco as a Keith/Subban/Weber style second round steal and everything else was gravy.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
And then cross our fingers a lot. I don't disagree with the Percy pick but even Hunter called the draft a "crap shoot." We had hoped Percy would develop better now he is being eclipsed by too many in the organization. I liked the Dermott pick but felt we were overdoing the small but skilled in the last draft. We had already taken Marner and had Nylander,Brown and Kappanen etc.I doubt Bracco ever makes the Leafs.

I think Bracco has a better chance of developing into a top six guy than Kapanen - but we shall see, other than Nylander and likely Marner none of them are locks to be Leafs yet.

Kurisu

mad scientist
Aug 13, 2012
In A Lonely Corner

well we have a dman with a crappy shot in Rielly. So there's hope.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
I've always maintained that the way the Leafs kept trading down, they were thinking of Bracco as a Keith/Subban/Weber style second round steal and everything else was gravy.

Interesting. Haven't seen Bracco on D, But it would be pretty sweet if he turned into one of those three.

:sarcasm:

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Just curious, what makes you say that?

I just don't see the elite skill-set that is needed to be a LEGIT 1-2. I'm not talking about someone playing on the first pair because no one else on the team is good enough to do so (i.e. Hunwick this year).

If need be, I can see Dermott on a first pair and holding his own, but at his peak (and on a good team which I'm hoping the Leafs will be in 2-3 years when he's ready), I see him max-ing out at a good 3.

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015

I love hunter's style of scouting/drafting. Skill above everything. However, there will always be picks that don't work out in a high risk-high reward drafting model.
For me, Bracco has too many flaws to be drafted as high as he was. I'm not a fan of the player, and I think that slot could have been better served on a player that is less of a project. Usually when hunter goes with an undersized prospect, it's for superior skating. That's not the case here.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I really like Dermott.

With that being said, I see him topping out at as a really good 3rd d-man rather than a 1-2. Nothing wrong with that.

To be fair, what did Keith/Weber/Subban/etc look like one year out of their drafts? None of them were dominating the leagues they were in at that point either.

Most likely Dermott becomes a second pairing or bottom pairing guy, but its tough to put a ceiling on it. We'll simply need to see how he develops, he's years away from the NHL regardless of how it goes.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He is a product of a very good Eerie team as it stands right now.

He has so much to prove outside of the OHL, the question is if he can or not.

Yes he has a lot to prove, as does everyone in juniors.

But I don't follow the line of thinking that he's merely a product of his team. If that was true than every defender on the team would be putting up similar numbers - which clearly isn't the case.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Dermott doing ok despite the onslaught from London. Fergus & Cernak being victimized on Erie's back end for the most part according to the radio guys in Erie.

Regardless of how this series ends, it's more experience for our most solid D prospect since Rielly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad