Post-Game Talk: Traverse City tournament. Leafs finish with 2-1 record.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I honestly question the wisdom of Knies being in this. He has demonstrated that he is NHL ready.

Why are we risking injury in a tournament that means nothing to Knies’ development?

Really scratching my head on this one.

Seems like a dumb and unnecessary exercise. Add to it that the kid has never played a full NHL season and we want a long playoff run, why are we giving him extra work that he’s already graduated beyond?

Did I mention this is dumb and I don’t get necessity of it already???? :)

DragoGrizzly

Oct 2, 2019
I honestly question the wisdom of Knies being in this. He has demonstrated that he is NHL ready.

Why are we risking injury in a tournament that means nothing to Knies’ development?

Seems like a dumb and unnecessary exercise. Add to it that the kid has never played a full NHL season and we want a long playoff run, why are we giving him extra work that he’s already graduated beyond?

I think it’s a chance for Knies to take a leadership type role, and these type of experiences are never futile. Also gets him in “game shape” before the real season starts and lets him hit the ground running in training camp. I admit I’m a bit surprised he’s there but I don’t know why. He’s a rookie and has never been to one of these tournaments before.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020

All valid points but I am excited he is playing selfishly. Makes the games more entertaining

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

He'll be fine. It would be strange if he wasn't invited.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

I think the potential injury factor is real and I'm kind of worried about it too. But I'm sure they asked him if he wants to take part. Might be good for him to get off to a great start playing games and bring that to camp.

Reactions: LeafSteel

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site

Could ask the same of Columbus and Fantilli being there. Pretty sure he’s a lock for them as an NHLer this season and a potential superstar if his current trajectory remains consistent.

Besides, Knies is a hulk compared to most prospects at this tournament and you don’t have too many a-holes like Sam Bennett running around slamming peoples heads into the boards and the ice. He should be just fine as I doubt he plays more than 2 or 3 games anyway

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I think the potential injury factor is real and I'm kind of worried about it too. But I'm sure they asked him if he wants to take part. Might be good for him to get off to a great start playing games and bring that to camp.
Maybe they want to treat him like every other rookie? Is there any precedent for players not playing?

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Maybe they want to treat him like every other rookie? Is there any precedent for players not playing?

there's been precedent before. I don't think Matthews took part in any rookie camps. But I can't remember that's been so long. I think typically once they make the show they don't really go back. But we've sent guys back, Robertson did the Traverse City Rookie Tournament last year and everyone thought he was a lock to make it.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Could ask the same of Columbus and Fantilli being there. Pretty sure he’s a lock for them as an NHLer this season and a potential superstar if his current trajectory remains consistent.

Besides, Knies is a hulk compared to most prospects at this tournament and you don’t have too many a-holes like Sam Bennett running around slamming peoples heads into the boards and the ice. He should be just fine as I doubt he plays more than 2 or 3 games anyway
I don’t know, all we need to do is see what happened to Hirvonen in a team scrimmage.

Even if they give the guy Do Not Touch status in camp, I think he will have a bullseye on his back from other team players desperate to make an impression and get an AHL deal by taking a run.

I get the rationale, but I don’t like it. The kid is comeback from a concussion and he has his own NHL camp in a couple of weeks.

In the interim, I’m sure he’s been training over the Summer, so it’s not like he’s trying to work his way back from a pack of cigarettes and 6 packs every night a la Guy Lafleur….

Reactions: supermann_98

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
there's been precedent before. I don't think Matthews took part in any rookie camps. But I can't remember that's been so long. I think typically once they make the show they don't really go back. But we've sent guys back, Robertson did the Traverse City Rookie Tournament last year and everyone thought he was a lock to make it.
Yeah, I don't recall if Matthews or Marner went. Seems normal for players to attend though.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I feel like Marner went to rookie camp and sucked and people were worried for a week or two.

Matthews was at the world cup thing with team North America which is why he didn't play. Marner played and had an overall poor camp and people were saying bust until he went and dominated the OHL

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
Are you going Somalia? even they some sort of internet connection

You are going on a cruise aren't you? don't feel sorry for ya

I will be in Israel for 6 days and the Cyprus for 8. Not that I won't have a connection, is that we have a super tight schedule. I can't be like "Yes, honey the Dead Sea is swell, but Knies just got a penalty, I have to see what will happen"

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I will be in Israel for 6 days and the Cyprus for 8. Not that I won't have a connection, is that we have a super tight schedule. I can't be like "Yes, honey the Dead Sea is swell, but Knies just got a penalty, I have to see what will happen"
Lucky you. Israel is a place I really want to go. Enjoy your vacation

You'll get plenty of chances to make that knies call.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Matthews was at the world cup thing with team North America which is why he didn't play. Marner played and had an overall poor camp and people were saying bust until he went and dominated the OHL
Didnt marner go in 2016 summer (his D+2) i think there was a camp where both Nylander and Marner played a few games *before both of their official full rookie years

Nylander I remember dominated and think had nice snipe vs the pens team. He was being praised heavily while I think Marner was so/so and people said he should be sent to the OHL again for a 2nd time

Last edited:
Reactions: HockeyVirus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad