Traverse City Rookies Tournament...Hawks Roster?

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
Well our team of prospects. ..err...suspects...is now 0-2 after 2 games at the Traverse City Prospects Tournament...dropping a 3-2 game to the Detroit prospects team... In a tournament where teams seem to be scoring a.lit more than our guys have ...we only had one goal in this game upto a late extra attacker goal with 12 seconds left in the 3rd to make the score more respectable..We were down 2-1 but Detroit scored late in the third till we made it more cosmetically closer with our own very very late marker. Point is our offense has su ked basically because our alkeged big college forward prospects like Hinostrozza Kero Ciampini and BAUN have not shined with offense so far in 2 games.2nd goal in 2 games for Haggerty ..but remember he was NOT a signing by our vaunted scouting staff but rather the return value from the Rangers system for Raanta...The point is that Stan's vaunted college '"stars" up front so far have done zilch whereas Detroit stars from Jr. origin like Mantra and other Jr.origin stars who are shining for some of the other teams are coming through for them..THIS is very disappointing.

Only 2 games, hopefully no huge judgement yet.

Madda

Jan 18, 2015
Norway
Uuuh this traverse city tournament makes the sharp trade even worse. Reading all the great stuff the Dallas Stars coach has to say about johns

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Uuuh this traverse city tournament makes the sharp trade even worse. Reading all the great stuff the Dallas Stars coach has to say about johns

Potentially the worst of all the off season personnel changes likely will be Johns. He was going to be the big body physical defenseman we've been lacking, and a replacement for Seabrook. If he develops like most of us foresee, then he will be a huge loss, and playing against us frequently in our division. :(

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Our top what..5-7 prospects aren't there outside of Hartman..who cares?

No but HF50 has a point. Hawk's for whatever reason, simply don't draft enough junior players, and too many College busts.... and lately, the draftees with the most potential we trade away or fail to sign. (Johns, Paliotta, Hayes)

vegarover

Sep 1, 2015
No but HF50 has a point. Hawk's for whatever reason, simply don't draft enough junior players, and too many College busts.... and lately, the draftees with the most potential we trade away or fail to sign. (Johns, Paliotta, Hayes)

Of course it's someone from Canada complaining the Hawks don't draft enough CHL players.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

Don't draft enough? What exactly is the lure of drafting CHL players? They take the BPA according to them, and in the later rounds select players who they can groom for a few seasons without tying up contract slots. That and, 3 out of our last 5 1st picks have been from the CHL.

Too many college busts, like who?

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Don't draft enough? What exactly is the lure of drafting CHL players? They take the BPA according to them, and in the later rounds select players who they can groom for a few seasons without tying up contract slots. That and, 3 out of our last 5 1st picks have been from the CHL.

Too many college busts, like who?

Oh, I understand the strategy of tucking away College players outside of the org, but you draft the best players available.... period. Who gives a fat rats ass where they grew up.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Oh, I understand the strategy of tucking away College players outside of the org, but you draft the best players available.... period. Who gives a fat rats ass where they grew up.

In the later rounds, it's probably pretty difficult to tell who the BPA is. And who's to say the BPA are from the CHL?

giza

Jul 19, 2011
Meaningless

The Hawks at this point are drafting role players, support players. We struck Silver with Saad. Tevo looks ready to contribute full time in the NHL. Panarin could be a stud and acts a 1st round pick for all practical purposes. Dano could prove a better all around player than Saad. Artisimov is the first decent, full time, 2nd round center. I wouldn't judge snot on this tourny or anything until the Hawks and Ice Hogs start their respective seasons. For crying out loud, give Stan a summer pass----his team just won the Cup.

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI

Potentially the worst of all the off season personnel changes likely will be Johns. He was going to be the big body physical defenseman we've been lacking, and a replacement for Seabrook. If he develops like most of us foresee, then he will be a huge loss, and playing against us frequently in our division. :(

I have only seen him play on youtube for a bit so i can't judge his performance from that small amount but from all the praises he received here on HF with the Hogs i am wondering why Stan did it, RS just around the corner, if he dominates and rises to stardom i will be sick to my stomach (well one exception, if we are winning Cups who cares)

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011

Which college "busts" are you talking about?

A player is a bust no matter what. It doesn't matter where they played, they were probably going to bust regardless.

The Hawks didn't "fail to sign" Hayes. He chose not to sign here. Failing to sign him would be like the Hawks filling up their contract allowance and being unable, or the Hawks simply not offering a contract.

The Hawks best prospects aren't in this tournament. It's not an accurate gauge of the system. Who cares? 3 games in early September don't mean much of anything.

vegarover

Sep 1, 2015
Which college "busts" are you talking about?

A player is a bust no matter what. It doesn't matter where they played, they were probably going to bust regardless.

The Hawks didn't "fail to sign" Hayes. He chose not to sign here. Failing to sign him would be like the Hawks filling up their contract allowance and being unable, or the Hawks simply not offering a contract.

The Hawks best prospects aren't in this tournament. It's not an accurate gauge of the system. Who cares? 3 games in early September don't mean much of anything.

Agree, agree, agree.

Not to mention a good chunk of the rookie tournament roster are guys who aren't even Blackhawks property. Just guys getting a look.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
So lost all 3 games played so far..Down 5-0 to Carolina prospects after 2 periods tonight our guys scored 5 in the 3rd ¥obviously Carolina let up and coasted home to a 7-5 win...But again a failure of our forwards to score goals as we got 4 from Dmen. .2 from Jardine and 1 each from Gustafsson and Valleau. .Haggerty scored again ...our only forward to light the lamp ..He has been our vest forward in the tournament scoring g goals I all 3 games..Hinostrozza had a coupe of asistant tonight ..but still Baun scoreless again and so to Kero..So our vest forward is a guy we got from the Rangers system I the Raanta trade.. UT our own forwards ...not the try-outs l9 g shots but our own system drafted or FA signed forwards did N9T produce lime forwards from.the other teams have ...very disappointed in that. ..

Not so concerned about the losses. .we probably had goaltending g not upto a very high standard...but am concerned about lack forwards who can beat goalies...except for the more seasoned Haggerty ...but Baun Kero and Hartman you can hardly say did an shining compared to the outstanding production at forwards of other teams have in this tournament..Obviously Stan and his scouts will need to do better in re--stocking our system forwards...Obviously Colina has the opposite situation as guys like Tolchinsky and Fleury have lit the lamp a lot in their games and you can say they have shined.

Nothingman*

Carolina should be the opposite of the Hawks. Look where they have been drafting and finishing the season.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
So lost all 3 games played so far..Down 5-0 to Carolina prospects after 2 periods tonight our guys scored 5 in the 3rd ¥obviously Carolina let up and coasted home to a 7-5 win...But again a failure of our forwards to score goals as we got 4 from Dmen. .2 from Jardine and 1 each from Gustafsson and Valleau. .Haggerty scored again ...our only forward to light the lamp ..He has been our vest forward in the tournament scoring g goals I all 3 games..Hinostrozza had a coupe of asistant tonight ..but still Baun scoreless again and so to Kero..So our vest forward is a guy we got from the Rangers system I the Raanta trade.. UT our own forwards ...not the try-outs l9 g shots but our own system drafted or FA signed forwards did N9T produce lime forwards from.the other teams have ...very disappointed in that. ..

Not so concerned about the losses. .we probably had goaltending g not upto a very high standard...but am concerned about lack forwards who can beat goalies...except for the more seasoned Haggerty ...but Baun Kero and Hartman you can hardly say did an shining compared to the outstanding production at forwards of other teams have in this tournament..Obviously Stan and his scouts will need to do better in re--stocking our system forwards...Obviously Colina has the opposite situation as guys like Tolchinsky and Fleury have lit the lamp a lot in their games and you can say they have shined.
Are you conveniently leaving out the fact that the majority of our top prospects are not at the tournament? Hartman and Knott are our only 2 forward prospects drafted in the 2nd round or earlier. Every other forward is either drafted 5th round or later, a Free Agent invite, or signed as a free agent. Our best forwards are not even in the lineup, outside of Hartman.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Hawks prospects finally won today to close out with a 5-2 win over NYR prospects and avoid last place..
So we finish in 7th out of 8 teams there...Haggerty got another goal.
Though it was an empty netter...but he scored a goal at least in every game and today was +3 with 5 shots...clearly our most consistent and productive forward...Hinostrozza had another god game after a good one last game so he is coming around after a slow start. BUT still nothing from Kero on the score sheet and Baun was not in the lineup ...Anyway I guess we saved the nest for the last game but when you play the other worst team there in a battle to avoid last finishing spot ,the best game we played may be more due to the weaker opposition than our guys improving..

Overall biggest disappointments were Kero and Baun not providing any offense ...on the other hand Haggerty and Jardine on defense had a very good tournament and the play of Hinostrozza coming 9n in the last 2 games gives hope they may turn into good NHLERS. .

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Hawks prospects finally won today to close out with a 5-2 win over NYR prospects and avoid last place..
So we finish in 7th out of 8 teams there...Haggerty got another goal.
Though it was an empty netter...but he scored a goal at least in every game and today was +3 with 5 shots...clearly our most consistent and productive forward...Hinostrozza had another god game after a good one last game so he is coming around after a slow start. BUT still nothing from Kero on the score sheet and Baun was not in the lineup ...Anyway I guess we saved the nest for the last game but when you play the other worst team there in a battle to avoid last finishing spot ,the best game we played may be more due to the weaker opposition than our guys improving..

Overall biggest disappointments were Kero and Baun not providing any offense ...on the other hand Haggerty and Jardine on defense had a very good tournament and the play of Hinostrozza coming 9n in the last 2 games gives hope they may turn into good NHLERS. .

It's a short tourney and a team that was just thrown together. It's fine to evaluate individual performances (to some degree) but the final score(s) mean very little. Put things into perspective.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
The concern is Baun is 23 6-2 210 and really should dominate Vs 19 year olds more. I know he skates hard and puts his nose in the corners but in the 4-5 games last year I did not see much skill. Baun Hartman and Gusstafson were scratched and that was probably because those are the only guys with a shot at the roster.

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
Yeah, saw that the season's started already. 5 g 2.41 .920 for him so far, not too bad.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
The concern is Baun is 23 6-2 210 and really should dominate Vs 19 year olds more. I know he skates hard and puts his nose in the corners but in the 4-5 games last year I did not see much skill. Baun Hartman and Gusstafson were scratched and that was probably because those are the only guys with a shot at the roster.

Baun isn't a high-skill guy. He's not going to make the NHL as a top-6 forward or scorer. Think Dwight King.

He's not going to "dominate" anyone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad