Advice: Travelling by Amtrak with hockey gear

howeaboutthat

Jun 20, 2012
A ways outside MI...
Does anyone have any experience of travelling on Amtrak with hockey gear in tow?

I'm trying to weigh up travel options between Chicago and Detroit for later this year and am considering rail. Problem is the 'Wolverine' service between the two cities doesn't have a 'checked baggage' option which means no luggage larger than 28" x 22" x 14", a bit smaller than my hockey bag.

Are they strict on luggage or can you get away with whatever you can squeeze into the luggage rack?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

McDugan

Jun 29, 2010
Not having used Amtrak in a while, I don't have firsthand experience of the War-on-Terror era policies, but I would think that a carry hockey bag, being soft, as long as you can squeeze it into the rack, would be fine. you might just want to be really careful how you pack your gear, to get it as compact as possible. If the bag is stuffed to its full dimensions, that might be more of a problem.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Not having used Amtrak in a while, I don't have firsthand experience of the War-on-Terror era policies, but I would think that a carry hockey bag, being soft, as long as you can squeeze it into the rack, would be fine. you might just want to be really careful how you pack your gear, to get it as compact as possible. If the bag is stuffed to its full dimensions, that might be more of a problem.

Call them. Most companies have separate standards for sports equipment.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
I'd chat up a guy dressed in full gear. That would either be interesting or I'd find myself a game!

howeaboutthat

Jun 20, 2012
A ways outside MI...
I've decided to hire a car instead now.

Bit of a shame as I do enjoy train travel and over here in Europe its generally a joy, just didn't realise how much of a pain it is in the land of my birth!

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I've decided to hire a car instead now.

Bit of a shame as I do enjoy train travel and over here in Europe its generally a joy, just didn't realise how much of a pain it is in the land of my birth!

You may want to call the Amtrak station you'll be boarding at rather than the general 1-800 number - it seems there may be some leniency and that you may just be charged an oversize bag fee which would likely be cheaper than hiring a car. If you'll note on the Special Items page, they state the 28x22x14 maximum but also note exceptions for larger musical instruments, golf bags, etc. I'm sure someone at either the Chicago or Detroit stations would be more knowledgeable about the particulars of transporting hockey equipment than someone working the 1-800-AMTRAK call center. Beyond that, as someone who travels Amtrak pretty frequently, I've never seen someone whip out a tape measure to check whether a carry-on is in compliance - generally if it fits in the overhead, they're happy.

ean

Nov 27, 2007
Ive seen guys pack their gear into bags that were surprisingly small over the years. Not sure if it was as small as your requirements but may want to see what you can do trying things like putting shin pads and elbows inside the pant legs etc. May have to carry skates separately.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Now why didn't I think of that?

5 hours or so, on an Amtrak train, dressed in my hockey gear. At least I won't get anyone wanting to sit next to me.....

I've occasionally had to ride the bus to/from a rink. People tend to stay away from me carrying my gear bag and stick (I don't have a stick bag).

Could also be related to how bad it smells.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
I've occasionally had to ride the bus to/from a rink. People tend to stay away from me carrying my gear bag and stick (I don't have a stick bag).

Could also be related to how bad it smells.

It's definitely for that reason.

Thankfully I never had to haul my hockey equipment around via public transport.

I've done it with golf gear once, and even that attracted quite enough attention.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad