Beginners: Transitioning from inline to ice

Blueland89

Dec 1, 2009
Cartersville, Ga
Hey guys I've been playing inline for about four years now. I am in the middle of starting to transition into pick stick time at my local Rink then into Beer league next year. I have found that even after the inline experience I am more comfortable on ice I don't know if that's because I can actually dig my skates into the ice and I know I can stop faster of what but I feel far more comfortable even on thing suck as crossovers its just an overall better feel.

also are there any drills I can do inline that will transfer into better skating on the ice. I feel comfortable i just know I cant change direction as fast as the guys in the leagues.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Hey guys I've been playing inline for about four years now. I am in the middle of starting to transition into pick stick time at my local Rink then into Beer league next year. I have found that even after the inline experience I am more comfortable on ice I don't know if that's because I can actually dig my skates into the ice and I know I can stop faster of what but I feel far more comfortable even on thing suck as crossovers its just an overall better feel.

also are there any drills I can do inline that will transfer into better skating on the ice. I feel comfortable i just know I cant change direction as fast as the guys in the leagues.

Skating is skating and doing more of it is going to make you a better skater overall regardless of surface, but there is no such thing as a drill on roller that will specifically improve your ice hockey skating abilities.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
I played roller for my first 10 years then switched to ice. I found the most important thing besides playing ice as much as possible was to stop playing roller completely. I've been playing ice 11 years now and have found it much more enjoyable than roller.

snizzbone*

I played roller for my first 10 years then switched to ice. I found the most important thing besides playing ice as much as possible was to stop playing roller completely. I've been playing ice 11 years now and have found it much more enjoyable than roller.

As someone who has started playing Roller in the summers.. I agree.. Roller is just brutal. The heat, for one, is just unbearable, and then the whole game is just no.. its not the game I love.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i grew up playing roller hockey until i was 12

after switching to ice, i never wanted to play roller again. not to mention that after making the switch to ice, whenever i would play roller, the next time i got out on the ice i would feel like i forgot how to ice skate

Islespuck89

Jan 9, 2012
i grew up playing roller hockey until i was 12

after switching to ice, i never wanted to play roller again. not to mention that after making the switch to ice, whenever i would play roller, the next time i got out on the ice i would feel like i forgot how to ice skate

100% agree, I transitioned to ice about 5 years ago from roller. I decided to throw on the old roller blades lat week for the 1st time in 2 years, I could barely skate, my session lasted 5 min. About 2 years ago I went to a outdoor roller rink by me skated and practiced for about 2 hours. WOW, at my ice game 2 days later I coundn't skate for half of the 1st period!

gosinger

Nov 25, 2012
Sadly it is still going to be a while till ice rinks open up again over here (we have a few months without ice), but this year I am looking forward for the transition inline to ice due to using Marsblade. The subjective feel is that it feels a lot like ice, but I haven't yet had the chance to transition back to ice...

Because otherwise, I don't like mixing it as-well; most players over here hate the 1-2 months where we only have 1-2 ice-times per week during the end of the summer, some even stop roller in order not to go back and forth.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
Guys that play roller immediately know what doesn't transfer over when they switch... so work on the things that do (things that don't require cutting in).

Sounds like you've got it all figured out though. Stopping will be rough picking up, but once you do, you're pretty much there. Roller does cover a lot of the balance and transitioning from back to forward I've heard (had two friends who recently made the jump... I've only ever played ice)

jazzykat

Mar 10, 2013
IMO I think that overall ice skating is much easier. Roller allows your edge work to be sloppier regarding cross overs but alllows almost 0 margin for error on transitions.

THe pure fact that I can stop really quickly on ice and don't get sliced up like when falling on the asphalt makes ice safer for me as well.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
IMO I think that overall ice skating is much easier. Roller allows your edge work to be sloppier regarding cross overs but alllows almost 0 margin for error on transitions.

THe pure fact that I can stop really quickly on ice and don't get sliced up like when falling on the asphalt makes ice safer for me as well.

I'm hoping to make the transition very soon, and that's what I'm most looking forward to. I used to ice skate a bit, not so much play hockey, so I keep wanting to stop quickly on the inlines and it just sucks to not be able to. Plus, yeah, I can never really go 100% knowing that the consequence of screwing up bad is falling on asphalt and getting ripped up.

Hopefully my comfort with transitions transfers to ice, because I've put a lot of work into that, and it feels great to nail it on the inlines.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
I'm hoping to make the transition very soon, and that's what I'm most looking forward to. I used to ice skate a bit, not so much play hockey, so I keep wanting to stop quickly on the inlines and it just sucks to not be able to. Plus, yeah, I can never really go 100% knowing that the consequence of screwing up bad is falling on asphalt and getting ripped up.

Hopefully my comfort with transitions transfers to ice, because I've put a lot of work into that, and it feels great to nail it on the inlines.

If you've got the money maybe hire a skating coach. If I could go back in time I would have paid for a few power skating sessions to improve my stride. Hard work is there but I think I would have been better served by a pro really breaking down my stride to get rid of wasted movement and bad technique.

RockemSockemProberts

Stevie's home!
Jul 5, 2012
Oradea, Rom/GR, MI
This:

And this:

100% agree, I transitioned to ice about 5 years ago from roller. I decided to throw on the old roller blades lat week for the 1st time in 2 years, I could barely skate, my session lasted 5 min.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
If you've got the money maybe hire a skating coach. If I could go back in time I would have paid for a few power skating sessions to improve my stride. Hard work is there but I think I would have been better served by a pro really breaking down my stride to get rid of wasted movement and bad technique.

The rink I'd be skating at has group power skating lessons now and then. I'd definitely keep my eye out for them. Not 1 on 1, not "ideal" in that sense, but if I'm going to wait for the money for a 1 on 1 I'll die before I get out there and start having fun. I already have a mentor of sorts who's been helping me with my stride, and I've made some beneficial changes for sure, but having a pro break it down for me would just be all the better.

Thanks for the tip.

Blueland89

Dec 1, 2009
Cartersville, Ga

That's definitely something I've seriously thought about

hockeyr5

Mar 8, 2009
Grew up playing ice and now probably play a bit more roller than ice. But let me tell you ice is 100x better. Though, roller would still my second favorite sport to play; it is just that ice is that good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad