GDT: Training Camp

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
IIRC that's exactly what Tampa was asking for the #3 from us. Skinner and the #5 for the #3.

I never pull for a team to lose unless they're out of it, but one more loss last year was the difference between us drafting Jones at #3, and us drafting Lindholm at #5. I love Lindholm as a prospect, but I still would have taken Jones with any spot in the draft last year. Over Drouin, over Barkov, over MacKinnon. In fact call me crazy but I think that's something Colorado is going to regret long term, not that Mac won't be a good player, but that I honestly think Jones is going to live up to the hype. Maybe not this year, maybe not next, but the kid has the makings of being a legit #1.

That said, the difference between Lindholm and Seth Jones isn't Jeff Skinner... not even close... I'm not even sure it's Jiri Tlusty but that's probably fairly close value wise.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
the Lindholm situation will be sorted out down the road but today, they still need a 3rd line center. most expected that to be Lindholm and now it looks like it may be Nash. I'm not confident in that or any of these Checkers really, outside of the 4th.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
It's not a matter of "not going bold" for Jones. It's that Nashville wanted him just as much as Carolina did. And Tampa wanted their guy, Florida theirs and Colorado theirs. There was no deal to be made short of a stupid overpayment, and then people would be clamoring about no talented forwards on the team again. You can't cripple one limb to save another.

Somebody gave a recap of the FS South "Driven" or "Under the Lights" or whatever at the draft, saying that JR was on the phone to move up, but that whomever it was didn't want to move down past for. It's not for lack of trying that they didn't get Jones.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I think Nash is an okay third line center. At the very least, if Skinner is on that line he will provide a decent defensive presence, with at least a little offensive upside. I think we will still do everything we can to get Lindholm to that spot this year. Whether that comes from an extended training camp of sorts in the AHL, or by letting him heal and easing him into the NHL lineup, we'll see. But he will very likely be given every chance even with his difficulties so far. And I'm okay with that. Especially so we can keep a close eye on whatever this nagging injury might be in the meantime.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I suppose he would be better than Welsh, but I'm hoping that he won't be on the team anyways. I don't think Skille adds much more than our own scrubs otherwise though.

And I guess they might be better than Komisarek. Maybe Harrison, but I think Harrison is a pretty effective third pairing guy. But my hope is they run with Komisarek as the 8th guy when Gleason is healthy, and 7th until he gets back. In that scenario, I have no problem with Gleason, Faulk, Sekera, Bellemore, Murphy, Harrison, and Hainsey as the top 7 in some order and wouldn't see Goloubef as a huge upgrade.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Golo has the upside to be better then Harrison... but he's not better then Harrison right now. I'm not entirely sure he's THAT much better then Komi or Bellemore right now so I'm not sure if he'd be a good pickup. There's no harm in adding capable depth, but the Jackets would try and claim him right back if we scooped him up.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
So let me get this straight. Lindholm has been held out of action in pre-season because of an injury and people are already regretting that he was picked over other prospects. Or that a trade could not be made to move higher in the draft. A little more calm and patience is needed here. Everything seems greener on the other side now. Jones is far from a sure thing. May I remind everyone of Erik Johnson who was the previous sure thing? Or even other high picks like Hedman, Jack Johnson, even Bogosian?

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Yeah, pining over Jones is ridiculous, since there was zero chance we could have grabbed him.

Choosing Lindholm over Nich, Nurse or Monahan, I can see some discussion about...at a later date. When those 4 guys have actually played in the league for a while.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
So let me get this straight. Lindholm has been held out of action in pre-season because of an injury and people are already regretting that he was picked over other prospects. Or that a trade could not be made to move higher in the draft. A little more calm and patience is needed here. Everything seems greener on the other side now. Jones is far from a sure thing. May I remind everyone of Erik Johnson who was the previous sure thing? Or even other high picks like Hedman, Jack Johnson, even Bogosian?

Bogosian is quietly starting to live up to the hype. People might not pay much attention to it since he plays in Winnipeg instead of a more visible market like Pittsburgh or Chicago, but he along with Faulk were easily the two most underrated dmen in this ****** division last year.

I'm not ready to write off Hedman as a #1 either.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Bogosian is quietly starting to live up to the hype. People might not pay much attention to it since he plays in Winnipeg instead of a more visible market like Pittsburgh or Chicago, but he along with Faulk were easily the two most underrated dmen in this ****** division last year.

I'm not ready to write off Hedman as a #1 either.

But the questions is: would you take Bogosian or Hedman over a number one centre with elite playmaking skills? Young d-men take much longer to reach their potential and are generally less predictable than forwards, especially in their offensive capabilities.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
The only thing Ill say about Hedman is that the debate between choosing him or Tavares looks ridiculous now.

But that was a franchise center vs a #1 defenseman. Jones vs Lindholm is a #1 defenseman (possibly franchise in Nashville) vs a #1/2 center.

That's a lot closer.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
But the questions is: would you take Bogosian or Hedman over a number one centre with elite playmaking skills? Young d-men take much longer to reach their potential and are generally less predictable than forwards, especially in their offensive capabilities.

Not gonna disagree with that, but it's gotta be looked at in context.

Would I rather have Hedman or Matt Duchene? Answer is Duchene or possibly Evander Kane who went #4.

Would I rather have Bogosian, Colin Wilson, Nikita Filatov, or Josh Bailey? I take Bogosian every time and i don't even think twice about it. Even at the time of the draft I would have said the same thing due to the Russian factor with Filatov. Him busting after the fact only compounds it.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Not gonna disagree with that, but it's gotta be looked at in context.

Would I rather have Hedman or Matt Duchene? Answer is Duchene or possibly Evander Kane who went #4.

Would I rather have Bogosian, Colin Wilson, Nikita Filatov, or Josh Bailey? I take Bogosian every time and i don't even think twice about it. Even at the time of the draft I would have said the same thing due to the Russian factor with Filatov. Him busting after the fact only compounds it.

Agreed. What remains to be seen is how Lindholm turns out. Based on his performance in SEL last year, there is every reason to be optimistic he'll be better than the three forwards you've mentioned.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I think the problem a lot of people have is they were sleeping on Lindholm the whole time leading up to the draft. There was a lot of talk about some of the players we were linked to wanting and he was never one of them. There were many discussions on this board and only a handful of mentions of him. But, he was rated in the area that we picked him and was in no way a bad pick.

While I likely would have taken Jones were he available, he obviously wasn't and likely the cost would have been way too high to move up and get him. Lindholm is a lot of what we need though if he turns out as expected. A playmaking center or winger with high end skill is something we need as most of our skill players outside of the surprisingly good passing Semin has high end playmaking skills. I love the pick, but there were a number of players that I wouldn't have minded in that slot, including everyone that went ahead and a few that went after. It may prove that other players turn out to be slightly better that we could have had, but I think most of the top guys in this draft will prove to be good players in this league. Time will tell.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I think the problem a lot of people have is they were sleeping on Lindholm the whole time leading up to the draft. There was a lot of talk about some of the players we were linked to wanting and he was never one of them. There were many discussions on this board and only a handful of mentions of him. But, he was rated in the area that we picked him and was in no way a bad pick.

While I likely would have taken Jones were he available, he obviously wasn't and likely the cost would have been way too high to move up and get him. Lindholm is a lot of what we need though if he turns out as expected. A playmaking center or winger with high end skill is something we need as most of our skill players outside of the surprisingly good passing Semin has high end playmaking skills. I love the pick, but there were a number of players that I wouldn't have minded in that slot, including everyone that went ahead and a few that went after. It may prove that other players turn out to be slightly better that we could have had, but I think most of the top guys in this draft will prove to be good players in this league. Time will tell.

This, so much this. I even slept on Lindholm because there had been so much linking us between trading down (which would put Lindholm out of our wheelhouse), taking Nichushkin, or doing both. Basically nobody saw Lindholm coming, but he had been in the draft range we were looking at, we just weren't seeing anything or much of anything from the usual suspects that would indicate that was the direction we were going. Most of the talk was would Barkov be selected by Nashville, or would he fall to us? Was the hype and the talk about Nichushkin from some of our staff legit, misdirection, or both? Then just how far would Jones fall and was there ANY chance he could make it to #5, or what would it take to move up? A Lindholm storyline just never appeared, possibly in part because the Avs preference of MacKinnon over Jones was so late breaking.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
So anyone hear anything about a contract for Devo yet? There's no way in hell we don't sign him after how he did this pre-season but I just haven't heard anything, usually something starts leaking by now.

Once the regular season officially starts, we can put Pitkanen on LTIR, and that's when we'll do any remaining signing.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
The curiosity is that Corrente is still here unless I missed something. Conboy 2.0 indeed.

Some real interesting names on the list right now though:
Emmerton, Cormier, Liles, Robak, Sulzer

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
so glad to see them shipping some of these tweeners out of the line-up. just move on already cause they are emergency call-ups at best and have no business on an NHL starting line-up. I understand that there is depth lacking and I hope a move or two is in the near future but if they start the season and work on fixing up the bottom six now and on to the trade deadline then so be it.

SeaBasstian

Don't Tread On Me
Mar 5, 2007
Connecticut
yeah nice to see the going nowhere here bodies being moved out, but also wondering if there is a little bit of moving out of money involved as well. i mean, sure, its not much money. but if he has his eye on someone specific, coupled with the fact that anyone can see these other guys arent going anywhere with us....JR has been pretty savvy the last 2 offseasons. never know what we could see

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad