Training Camp Thread (UPD:9/26)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
well then the 37 points explains it and expectations for him were probably to continue that, but clearly Wiercicoch hasn't lived up to the contract yet

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
well then the 37 points explains it and expectations for him were probably to continue that, but clearly Wiercicoch hasn't lived up to the contract yet

He didn't actually get those 37 points. As you said he was on pace for it. Really no reason to give him that sort of payday so early.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
it was unfortunate timing, like with Cowen, and we went into last season with the two pinned on the 2nd pairing, and that failed magnificently.

i guess Murray doesn't play as hard as some other GM, like Armstrong who's reportedly offering Schwartz 2m (scored 25 goals, 56 points last season)

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Wierioch is almost a .5 PPG D man right now... keep him.. hes good at hockey.

Gryba boro phillips cowen all in one lineup would probably have been a good defence core in like 1995.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
It could only be a trial but so far in camp it looks like Stache is trying to use Smith on another line which leaves Legwand with Greening and Neil. If it stays that way we can't expect Legwand to generate much offense this year. I think I'd prefer it if Stache played Legwand with a couple of more offensively minded guys as the 3rd line and used Greening / Neil and possibly Smith on the 4th if he stays at centre. Smith would get extra time on the pk and filling in here and there as needed. I'm a Neil guy but his time should be reduced and Greening should be made to earn any extra toi.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
It could only be a trial but so far in camp it looks like Stache is trying to use Smith on another line which leaves Legwand with Greening and Neil. If it stays that way we can't expect Legwand to generate much offense this year. I think I'd prefer it if Stache played Legwand with a couple of more offensively minded guys as the 3rd line and used Greening / Neil and possibly Smith on the 4th if he stays at centre. Smith would get extra time on the pk and filling in here and there as needed. I'm a Neil guy but his time should be reduced and Greening should be made to earn any extra toi.

I guess he's just trying to give Smith a chance to show if he has anymore upside to his game given he's still young, and has been sorta boxed in to this point.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
http://senators.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=31946

Alright... haven't listened to the interview cause at work... but players listed as injured are:
Michalek
Pageau
Condra
Methot

Condra being the most serious of the forwards, but all can play through it.
Methot potentially being related to the end of last season that's still nagging him - and keeping him off the ice currently.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I'm expecting that Ceci & Stone are sent to Bingo at the end of training camp the way Zibanejad was last yr to make room on the roster for Lazar & maybe Claesson to get some NHL games to start the yr. I still think Lazar is returned to junior after his 9 games or less & Claesson I think will be sent to Bingo eventually too. While I think Stne will becalled up fairly quickly Ceci may have to wait until a trade is made. Should be interesting.

On another note, the Sens certainly have the assets right now to make a deal if they want before the season starts for a top 9 forward (Stewart/Stafford) but they could also wait until the 20 game mark to see what they have before doing anything.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
No way Ceci is being sent down. He's been great in pre-season so far, playing really confident and making his mark on every game, offensively and defensively.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
I'm expecting that Ceci & Stone are sent to Bingo at the end of training camp the way Zibanejad was last yr to make room on the roster for Lazar & maybe Claesson to get some NHL games to start the yr. I still think Lazar is returned to junior after his 9 games or less & Claesson I think will be sent to Bingo eventually too. While I think Stne will becalled up fairly quickly Ceci may have to wait until a trade is made. Should be interesting.

On another note, the Sens certainly have the assets right now to make a deal if they want before the season starts for a top 9 forward (Stewart/Stafford) but they could also wait until the 20 game mark to see what they have before doing anything.

This makes more sense than other possibilities I've heard. Sending guys to Bingo who don't need waivers is good asset management but they have to win early so wins and losses could easily force their hand. Ceci may make it too hard to replace him.

Lets hope they don't experiment too much with line combos and D pairings for the last 3 games. Last year they did so much mix and matching in preseason that the lines were never set properly and it led to many defensive lapses and visible frustration. Barring injury the top 6 seem set (MacArthur, Turris, Ryan, Michalek, Z-Bad, Chiasson) but the rest even the D look to still be up in the air. These guys need to practice as units as much as possible before the season starts.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
No way Ceci is being sent down. He's been great in pre-season so far, playing really confident and making his mark on every game, offensively and defensively.
I think it will be because of the numbers more so than his play, they have 8 defecemen & he is the only one who is waiver exempt. However, if there are injuries to start the season than they may not have to send anyone down in order to give Lazar his 9 games. It's only if they start the season completely healthy & want to give Lazar his 9 games that I think Stone or Ceci who are both waiver exempt are the likely candidates to get sent down rather than risk losing an asset on waivers.

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
Can someone explain to me why Prince was cut? the guy looked pretty good out there and was just as good as Hoffman IMO.

He's a qualtity prospect

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is
Can someone explain to me why Prince was cut? the guy looked pretty good out there and was just as good as Hoffman IMO.

He's a qualtity prospect

"BrawlFan":

Just a numbers thing I guess, that and who has the 1 way deals those almost always rule in Ottawa..............................

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
"BrawlFan":

Just a numbers thing I guess, that and who has the 1 way deals those almost always rule in Ottawa..............................

several 2 way deal players are still on the team, Puempel, Robinson, Pageua and Prince is just as good as those players.

People always seem to be appalled that a player requests a trade but sometimes they are fairly legitimate. Im not getting into the Spezza request vs Eugene and his gold under his bridge debate but how can anyone be angry or appalled that Prince may want a trade? THe guy is being treated like garbage while outplaying his fellow 2011 draft pick (a first rounder that BMurr may have an agenda for) in the AHL and competing pretty good in the big's.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I'm expecting that Legwand could end up playing with Greening & Stone which would be a big line with potential secondary scoring ability. Hoffman could also play on that line from time to time except I doubt PM would be comfortable with two rookies on the same line.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Wiercioch is in our top half of defenders, he provides the offence on the blue line after Karlsson. Problem is our coach has a soft spot for guys like Gryba, and Phillips, and likely even Boro this year.

Yes, that is my view too; however, Wiercioch does need to improve his defensive play. I think he needs to do at least one of two things: either toughen up to play a more physical defensive game, or improve his foot speed and skating to be able to get to loose pucks first and skate them out of the defensive zone. I do not know if he can do those things. I do not want to trade him because of his better offensive performance so far than most of our other defencemen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad