Training Camp Thread II (Opening Day Roster Released)

Status
Not open for further replies.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Sens Release Training Camp Roster(9/16)
Senators reduce training camp roster by three players (9/23)
NHL/AHL Squad split (9/25)
Paulrus comments on the split, injuries, and more (9/25)
Post practice and scrimmage comments (9/26)
Senators reduce 2014-15 training camp roster by 21 players (9/29)
Coach MacLean on roster decisions(9/29)
Coach MacLean ahead of pre-season game 5 in Winnipeg(9/30)
Coach MacLean on injuries, special teams and more(10/1)
Coach MacLean ahead of the pre-season finale in Montreal(10/4)
Senators announce 2014-15 opening-night roster(10/6)

Opening Night Roster
Goalies (2)
Name|Team|League
Craig Anderson|Ottawa|NHL
Robin Lehner|Ottawa|NHL
Defensemen (7+1 IR)
Name|Team|League
Mark Borowiecki|Binghamton, Ottawa|AHL, NHL
Cody Ceci|Binghamton, Ottawa|AHL, NHL
Jared Cowen|Ottawa|NHL
Eric Gryba|Ottawa|NHL
Erik Karlsson|Ottawa|NHL
Chris Phillips|Ottawa|NHL
Patrick Wiercioch|Ottawa|NHL
-|-|-
Marc Methot*(IR-Back)|Ottawa|NHL
Forwards (14)
Name|Team|League
Alex Chiasson|Dallas|NHL
Erik Condra|Ottawa|NHL
Colin Greening|Ottawa|NHL
Mike Hoffman|Binghamton, Ottawa|AHL, NHL
Curtis Lazar|Edmonton|WHL
David Legwand|Nashville, Detroit|NHL
Clarke MacArthur|Ottawa|NHL
Milan Michalek|Ottawa|NHL
Chris Neil|Ottawa|NHL
Bobby Ryan|Ottawa|NHL
Zack Smith|Ottawa|NHL
Mark Stone|Binghamton, Ottawa|AHL, NHL
Kyle Turris|Ottawa|NHL
Mika Zibanejad|Binghamton, Ottawa|AHL, NHL

Players Re-assigned
Name|Team|League|Position|Date
Ben Harpur|Guelph|OHL|D|Sept 23
Matt Murphy|Halifax|QMJHL|D|Sept 23
Nicholas Paul|North Bay|OHL|F|Sept 23
Chris Driedger|Binghamton|AHL|G|Sept 29
Andrew Hammond|Binghamton|AHL|G|Sept 29
Guillame Lepine|Binghamton|AHL|D|Sept 29
Daniel New|Binghamton|AHL|D|Sept 29
Troy Rutkowski|Binghamton|AHL|D|Sept 29
Michael Sdao|Binghamton|AHL|D|Sept 29
Chris Wideman|Binghamton|AHL|D|Sept 29
Carter Camper|Binghamton|AHL|F|Sept 29
Jakub Culek|Binghamton|AHL|F|Sept 29
Ryan Dzingel|Binghamton|AHL|F|Sept 29
Derek Grant|Binghamton|AHL|F|Sept 29
Alex Guptill|Binghamton|AHL|F|Sept 29
Danny Hobbs|Binghamton|AHL|F|Sept 29
Darren Kramer|Binghamton|AHL|F|Sept 29
Max McCormick|Binghamton|AHL|F|Sept 29
Brad Mills|Binghamton|AHL|F|Sept 29
Shane Prince|Binghamton|AHL|F|Sept 29
Cole Schneider|Binghamton|AHL|F|Sept 29
Garrett Thompson|Binghamton|AHL|F|Sept 29
Brandon Wong|Binghamton|AHL|F|Sept 29
Nick Palmeri|Released|PTO|F|Sept 29
Patrick Mullen|Waived|AHL|D|Sept 30
Scott Greenham|Binghamton|AHL|G|Oct 6
Fredrik Claesson|Binghamton|AHL|D|Oct 6
Alex Grant|Binghamton|AHL|D|Oct 6
Aaron Johnson|Binghamton|AHL|D|Oct 6
David Dziurzynski|Binghamton|AHL|F|Oct 6
Jean-Gabriel Pageau|Binghamton|AHL|F|Oct 6
Matt Puempel|Binghamton|AHL|F|Oct 6
Buddy Robinson|Binghamton|AHL|F|Oct 6

Pre-season Schedule (4-2-1)
Date|Visitor|Home|Time (ET)| TV |Results
Mon Sept 22|Senators|Islanders|1:30pm| - |2-3
Mon Sept 22|Senators|Islanders|6:00pm| - |2-3(so)
Wed Sept 24|Senators|Maple Leafs|7:30pm| RDS,TSN4 |3-2
Wed Sept 24|Maple Leafs|Senators|7:30pm| TSN5 |3-4(so)
Tue Sept 30|Senators|Jets|8:00pm| TSN5 |1-2
Fri Oct 3|Canadiens|Senators|7:30pm| TSN |3-4(ot)
Sat Oct 4|Senators|Canadiens|7:00pm| TSN5 |4-2

Last edited by a moderator:

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Quote from StefanW from previous thread:

Oh good grief. One tiny sound bite from Lazar saying the coach hasn't talked with him one on one yet, only part way through the camp, and people are going full on *******.

Relax. We are half way through camp, and the rosters are just getting down to a manageable level. At this stage it is about finding out who can play, not sitting down and micromanaging every player.

I swear, I read these boards sometimes and fully get why players are taught to only speak to the media in clichés that have absolutely no meaning.

You seem to have gone full hyperbole mode here. I and others weren't saying coach Mac is ruining Lazar, rather that it is concerning that the kid seems a bit left in the dark as per his play in camp. There's nuance there, and you are kind of doing exactly what you think we're doing by portraying our concerns as panic.

I'm sure Curtis will be fine, and I prefer he be held back a little than pushed into a starring role too early, but given the previous season's comments about MacLean being uncommunicative or too harsh on players, some of us are perhaps looking at him with a more critical eye.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
lets forget that Lazar is a 1st rounder and a hyped prospect around these boards and ottawa...would anyone still say he has shown enough to earn a spot on this team?

I think Peumple is ahead of lazar

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
lets forget that Lazar is a 1st rounder and a hyped prospect around these boards and ottawa...would anyone still say he has shown enough to earn a spot on this team?

I think he has shown enough to warrant extra attention yes. As for Puempel, I'd say he's on par with Lazar. More offensive, but not as impressive "hockey smarts" wise.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary

The problem here is that you quantify Peumple because of the offense he created in two pre season games. In doing this you fail to see the complete game that Lazar brings. Much more complete in every way than Peumple, who still has to prove he can play a 200ft game and be responsible at both ends of the ice. Peumple is like Ovechken super-lite... sure they can score goals, but how well can they keep them out of their goalies net? This is the difference between Lazar and Peumple.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
if Lazar isn't producing offense then he has no spot on this team atleast right now

His hockey smarts and two way game are there but will it help the sens win games this year? I am not so sure about that when you have other guys who can play that role like Hoffman and Pageau who seem more refined

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
At this point I dont see Lazar being on the team before Chiasson,Stone or Pageau who was better than Lazar from what i've seen. I don't think Lazar should be rushed here and anyways would play fourth line minutes with Smith and Greening?! I dont see the point. Condra is great player on a 4th line and very handy on the PK.

I'd rather wait for him. Honestly I just don't see what he proved during this camp to be in front of many other guys in our prospect pool. Puempel is a lot better than he was last year and I believe Pageau also gained strenght and puck control. A fourth line role(for the moment) would suit Pageau better than Lazar.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Idc what happens as long as Condra and/or Greening aren't on the team months from now.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Just wondering, why are people slotting Stone in the NHL lineup automatically? I haven't seen anything outside of a few flashes of offensive brilliance and it seems to me Puempel for one is more gifted scoring-wise.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Just wondering, why are people slotting Stone in the NHL lineup automatically? I haven't seen anything outside of a few flashes of offensive brilliance and it seems to me Puempel for one is more gifted scoring-wise.

Has Puempel ever played RW?

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Lazar has shown he can and deserves to play in NHL. However it's only been 2 games. The remaining will be more showing.

Don't forget first game he went head to head with Tavares line and didn't look out of place. Heck, he scored. Second game he was flying everywhere even though they were rookies.

Stone has been very impressive this entire training camp. He has killed it in scrimmage, and shown great displays in pre-season already.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Preseason games are way too deceiving to make any real judgement calls. Some kids play out of their minds to try and win a spot on the roster, some vets are playing at half speed to avoid injury and get back into the routine, some lines and combinations have never played together before and will make mistakes simply because of that...just too many variables to judge.

It would be nice if our kids had a bit more 1-on-1 time with the coaching staff...but then again, they did have the rookie tourney and summer camps which (hopefully) should've had some good development and instruction.

It's so difficult with the parity in the league nowadays. Coming out of October with a slow start can be enough to knock a team out of playoff contention...and there goes a few million in playoff revenue, and put the job security of various management members in doubt. A lot of teams simply don't have the luxury of spending so much time with the youngsters and having them develop at the NHL. Besides, that's one of the main reasons why we have farm teams.

I have no idea who's going to be on the final roster, or make a list of who should be cut. Only one I've seen so far that really looks a few steps behind is Gryba.....and that was only from watching one game, so that isn't even much of a foundation to judge, either.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
I'd like to see Puempel, Lazar, Pageau etc., over players like Condra and Greening. They've had their shot. New blood will develop thgis year if given a chance.

Neil is F13 and dresses when there is a need.

Give Pageau the 4C and let's see what happens.

MacArthur - Turris - Stone
Michalek - Zibanejad - Ryan
Smith - Legwand - Lazar
Puempel - Pageau - Chaisson
Neil

Spread the youth, but let them play. Trade or waive Greening and Condra. If no-one claims them, Binghamton gets to use them until an injury callup

Apr 4, 2003
Embrun, ON
What's disappointing to me so far is that Lazar hasn't yet an opportunity to play with NHL linemates to show what he can do. He's played with Puempel & Robinson (who have all played well), but if the Sens were serious about Lazar making the team out of camp, one would think they would have given him a chance to play with actual NHL players. Maybe that will happen this week.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Finally watched the OTT @ TOR game. JGP has to be on the team at the start of the season. He just looks too good. I'd shift Smith to LW and play JGP at C on the 4th line. And YES, he can play on the 4th line even if he's short. He is harder to play against than Greening was all of last season.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Quote from StefanW from previous thread:

You seem to have gone full hyperbole mode here. I and others weren't saying coach Mac is ruining Lazar, rather that it is concerning that the kid seems a bit left in the dark as per his play in camp. There's nuance there, and you are kind of doing exactly what you think we're doing by portraying our concerns as panic.

I'm sure Curtis will be fine, and I prefer he be held back a little than pushed into a starring role too early, but given the previous season's comments about MacLean being uncommunicative or too harsh on players, some of us are perhaps looking at him with a more critical eye.

The problem with the critical fan is they don't always have enough context or perspective to criticize intelligently.

My guess is most players understand that no news is good news, if the coach has sat down with lazar 1 on 1, he'd have to also sit down with every other non lock player. He is busy and this isn't crunch time in preseason.

It's the wrong juncture to start trying to see if Maclean is communicating, as fans you will rarely have a good vantage point to do so

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
What's disappointing to me so far is that Lazar hasn't yet an opportunity to play with NHL linemates to show what he can do. He's played with Puempel & Robinson (who have all played well), but if the Sens were serious about Lazar making the team out of camp, one would think they would have given him a chance to play with actual NHL players. Maybe that will happen this week.

IMO there are too many guys on one way deals to really give many of the prospects a good look with the veterans, and the shorter training camp compounds the problem.

In the case of the Sens the top six is filled IMO.

MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
Michalek - Zibanejad - Chaisson

The bottom six might have an opening on the right side if Mac is willing to sit one of Neil or Condra each game, so assuming this is a possibility the bottom six will look something like

Hoffman - Legwand - Stone
Greening - Smith - Neil/Condra

The problem fitting either of JGP, Puempel or even Lazar into the lineup is BM has to shed a veteran (or 2) or risk losing Hoffman to waivers.

I just don't believe BM will willing give up assets for nothing before the start of the season, though it is very likely he will attempt to make a deal to clear space as soon as he can.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com

They've played two games. This is how the NHL tends to work, you work your way up. We know that if he's gonna make the team, he will have to play with NHL line mates soon.

Keepin mind his tryout could easily still e going on during the regular season

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com

Stones already made this team, whether you believe it or not.

He's easily ahead of puempel right now in terms of "can play hockey at NHL level" even if puempel likely has higher long term goal scoring potetial.

Apparently they moved Ryan to mikas left wing and stone beside Turris over the weekend . If that works for Ryan that could be most ideal for team

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes

He's easily ahead of puempel right now in terms of "can play hockey at NHL level" even if puempel likely has higher long term goal scoring potetial.

Apparently they moved Ryan to mikas left wing and stone beside Turris over the weekend . If that works for Ryan that could be most ideal for team

As in:

MacArthur-Turris-Stone
Ryan-Zibanejad-Chiasson?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Does that mean lines are:

MacArthur - Turris - Stone
Ryan - Zibanejad - Chiasson
Michalek - Legwand - Lazar???
Greening - Smith - Neil

extras: Hoffman, Pageau, Puempel, Condra

With 8 D, that would mean waiving one of Condra or Hoffman, and sending Pageau and Puempel down to the minors. (unless of course we have an injury allowing us more time to decide)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad