Pre-Game Talk: Training Camp/Exhibition game talk (camp 7/13, exhibition games 7/28-7/30)

How many Avs players will opt out

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I was under the impression the training camp rosters are play-in/play-off rosters, too. And the purpose of expanded rosters is to give teams bodies in the bubble in case of injuries/positive tests. Is this not the case and we expect cuts? Because if the bubble rosters are indeed 30 skaters then I see no advantage of not taking Byram. Do we really have 4-5 better defensemen* than him?

EDIT: *outside of our top 7
You can only take 31 players to the bubble, and that includes goalies, so there will be cuts.

Reactions: HugeMetalFan

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
You can only take 31 players to the bubble, and that includes goalies, so there will be cuts.
I'd expect to see this 31 player roster:

Burakovsky ---- Mackinnon ------ Rantanen
Landeskog -------- Kadri ---------- Nichuskin
Namestnikov --- Compher ------- Donskoi
Nieto ------------ Bellemare ------- Calvert
Jost -------------- Kamenev -------- O'Connor
Tynan ------------- Dries

Graves --------- Makar
Girard --------- Johnson
Zadorov ------- Cole
Barberio ------ Timmins
Connauton --- Byram

Grubauer
Francouz
Werner
Hutchinson

Cuts: MacDonald, Lindholm, Bowers, Wilson (IR)

Lindholm vs Connauton is a close call and could go either way. Bowers isn't quite ready for the NHL so I think Bednar would go with Tynan and Dries for their experience.

Reactions: MaKarter

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I think MacDonald enters the bubble, if only because he's shown he can play forward and defense this year and the Avs might need that flexibility.

Reactions: ljb4 and Richard88

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I think MacDonald enters the bubble, if only because he's shown he can play forward and defense this year and the Avs might need that flexibility.

Agreed.

I’d go heavy on defence, because MacDonald and Barberio can play forward and defence.

I’d rather cut a guy like Tynan, and keep all of Barbs, Timmins, Connauton, Byram, and MacDonald.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Don’t count out Lindholm. I know he stinks, but he’s a different style of defensemen from the rest, so they may value that if looking for a 10th guy on the depth chart. Just saying.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I notice Burakovsky is on the "bad" side a lot.

I’m not sure how he comes to his conclusions, but it looks like it’s based off expected goal rates. Nichushkin is the fancy stat god, so it’s not surprising to see most of his lines ranked as the best.

I haven’t really looked at Burakovsky’s advanced stats, maybe they’re not very good. His production was certainly excellent though.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Someone asked for this one too.

NWFfz1v.gif

Perfect.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
It's not like Bednar had plenty of opportunity to watch him fall apart against bad teams in games that didn't mean much. Hope we dont have to see him against a good team with actual pressure.

In an ideal world he's just blowing smoke up the guy's ass to keep him working hard as a # 9 if it ever unfortunately came to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad