training camp 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

jura

booze & blues
Mar 29, 2012
Zagreb, Croatia

Blues open training camp on Sept. 21​

The St. Louis Blues will open training camp on Thursday, Sept. 21 at 9:30 a.m. at Centene Community Ice Center.
Training camp is presented by Ashley.
Camp will begin with four consecutive days of practice sessions, with 60 players divided into three groups.
All training camp practice sessions at Centene Community Ice Center are free and open to the public. Additional practice dates / times will be announced at a later date.

Training Camp Schedule​

Thursday, Sept. 21
9:30 a.m. – Group A (NHL Rink)
9:30 a.m. – Group B (USA Rink)
11:30 a.m. - Group C (NHL Rink)
Friday, Sept. 22
9:30 a.m. – Group B (NHL Rink)
9:30 a.m. – Group C (USA Rink)
10:50 a.m. – Group B vs. Group C scrimmage (NHL Rink)
11:35 a.m. – Group A (USA Rink)
Saturday, Sept. 23
9:30 a.m. – Non-playing group (NHL Rink)
10:30 a.m. – Traveling game group (USA Rink)
2 p.m. – Blues vs. Coyotes at Enterprise Center
7 p.m. – Blues vs. Coyotes at INTRUST Bank Arena (Wichita, KS)
Sunday, Sept. 24
10 a.m. – Group C (NHL Rink)
10 a.m. – Group A (USA Rink)
11:20 a.m. – Group C vs. Group A scrimmage (NHL Rink)
12:05 p.m. – Group B (USA Rink)

Training Camp Roster​

Forwards (31): Mikhail Abramov (95), Nikita Alexandrov (59), Samuel Bitten (84), Will Bitten (46), Sammy Blais (79), Zachary Bolduc (76), Pavel Buchnevich (89), Drew Callin (73), Zach Dean (52), Tanner Dickinson (78), Adam Gaudette (88), Kevin Hayes (12), Andre Heim (74), Mitch Hoelscher (86), Kasperi Kapanen (42), Jordan Kyrou (25), Mathias Laferriere (58), Mackenzie MacEachern (28), Hugh McGing (56), Jake Neighbours (63), Matthew Peca (53), Isaac Ratcliffe (36), Nick Ritchie (21), Brandon Saad (20), Brayden Schenn (10), Oskar Sundqvist (70), Robert Thomas (18), Alexey Toropchenko (13), Jakub Vrana (15), Nathan Walker (26), Keean Washkurak (40).
Defense (21): Jeremie Biakabutuka (82), Robert Bortuzzo (41), Michael Buchinger (62), Quinton Burns (92), Joseph Duszak (64), Justin Faulk (72), Marc-Andre Gaudet (87), Wyatt Kalynuk (37), Matthew Kessel (51), Torey Krug (47), Nick Leddy (4), Leo Loof (77), Matt Mayich (94), Austin Osmanski (61), Colton Parayko (55), Scott Perunovich (48), Calle Rosen (43), Marco Scandella (6), Hunter Skinner (83), Tyler Tucker (75), Andy Welinski (54).
Goalies (6): Jordan Binnington (50), Will Cranley (31), Colten Ellis (45), Joel Hofer (30), Malcolm Subban (32), Vadim Zherenko (1).4

Injured (2): Anton Malmstrom (D), Joshua Jacobs (D).

edited :)

Last edited:

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
@jura

Your roster is the one from the prospects tournament where we already played vs the Wild and Hawks.

• Haha
Reactions: jura and Blueston

jura

booze & blues
Mar 29, 2012
Zagreb, Croatia

Group A

FORWARDS
10 - Brayden Schenn
13 - Alexey Toropchenko
20 - Brandon Saad
40 - Keean Washkurak
42 - Kasperi Kapanen
63 - Jake Neighbours
70 - Oskar Sundqvist
78 - Tanner Dickinson
88 - Adam GaudeLe
95 - Mikhail Abramov
DEFENSEMEN
6 - Marco Scandella
43 - Calle Rosen
51 - MaLhew Kessel
64 - Joseph Duszak
82 - Jeremie Biakabutuka
87 - Marc-Andre Gaudet
94 - MaL Mayich
GOALTENDERS
30 - Joel Hofer
45 - Colten Ellis

Group B
FORWARDS
12 - Kevin Hayes
15 - Jakub Vrana
21 - Nick Ritchie
36 - Isaac Ratcliffe
46 - Will BiLen
52 - Zach Dean
74 - Andre Heim
76 - Zachary Bolduc
79 - Sammy Blais
88 - Mitch Hoelscher
DEFENSEMEN
37 - WyaL Kalynuk
48 - ScoL Perunovich
54 - Andy Welinski
72 - Jus\n Faulk
77 - Leo Loof
83 - Hunter Skinner
92 - Quinton Burns
GOALTENDERS
31 - Will Cranley
32 - Malcolm Subban

Group C
FORWARDS
18 - Robert Thomas
25 - Jordan Kyrou
26 - Nathan Walker
28 - Mackenzie MacEachern
53 - MaLhew Peca
56 - Hugh McGing
58 - Mathias Laferriere
59 - Nikita Alexandrov
73 - Drew Callin
84 - Sam BiLen
89 - Pavel Buchnevich
DEFENSEMEN
4 - Nick Leddy
41 - Robert Bortuzzo
55 - Colton Parayko
61 - Aus\n Osmanski
62 - Michael Buchinger
75 - Tyler Tucker
GOALTENDERS
1 - Vadim Zherenko
50 - Jordan Binnington

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Lines this early don't mean a ton, but Bolduc is getting his chance to step up. Part of that is just how the groups are divided, but being with Hayes instead of Dean is a combo of being with a vet instead of just a rookie line, but this would also be the line he'd be on if he makes the team.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Lines this early don't mean a ton, but Bolduc is getting his chance to step up. Part of that is just how the groups are divided, but being with Hayes instead of Dean is a combo of being with a vet instead of just a rookie line, but this would also be the line he'd be on if he makes the team.

Not sure that really follows.
We've seen plenty of times in the past where a younger player gets all kinds of opportunities in Training camp and then immediately gets dumped on the 4th line when the real games start.
Look no further than last year with Logan Brown.
Spent the pre-season with Schenn and Neighbors, then immediately got paired with Pitlick when the real games started.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Not sure that really follows.
We've seen plenty of times in the past where a younger player gets all kinds of opportunities in Training camp and then immediately gets dumped on the 4th line when the real games start.
Look no further than last year with Logan Brown.
Spent the pre-season with Schenn and Neighbors, then immediately got paired with Pitlick when the real games started.
Lets be real, Logan Brown was a failed propsect last year, not comparable at all IMO. That was more or less his last shot to stick it, and now he's going to be a journeyman on 2-way deals.

Bolduc has to make it as a top 9 guy, he's not going to start on the team to be a 4th liner or spare, and he will most likely start in the AHL. Even Neighbours is someone that has the style to play on the 4th, so he has more options when tyring to make the club.

The message to Bolduc in my view is clear. The past is the past, leave the previous camps behind, you are a pro regardless this season, you are going to start with a chance to prove it.

Reactions: GreatDayforHockey

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Lets be real, Logan Brown was a failed propsect last year, not comparable at all IMO. That was more or less his last shot to stick it, and now he's going to be a journeyman on 2-way deals.

Bolduc has to make it as a top 9 guy, he's not going to start on the team to be a 4th liner or spare, and he will most likely start in the AHL. Even Neighbours is someone that has the style to play on the 4th, so he has more options when tyring to make the club.

The message to Bolduc in my view is clear. The past is the past, leave the previous camps behind, you are a pro regardless this season, you are going to start with a chance to prove it.
I'm not disagreeing on Brown.
Guy sucked and the curse was real.

What I'm saying is that the Blues don't start rookies in the top 9. Neighbours started on the 4th line, Kyrou and Thomas started on the 4th line, even Schwartz and Tarasenko were given 4th line minutes at the very start. It's just not something the Blues do. Blues rookies start at the bottom and have to play their way up the depth chart. Bolduc will not be an exception to that rule. Doesn't mean he has to be a Dallas Drake style checker, but he's not going to be gifted top 9 minutes until he shows something in limited minutes. That's just not how the Blues operate.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'm not disagreeing on Brown.
Guy sucked and the curse was real.

What I'm saying is that the Blues don't start rookies in the top 9. Neighbours started on the 4th line, Kyrou and Thomas started on the 4th line, even Schwartz and Tarasenko were given 4th line minutes at the very start. It's just not something the Blues do. Blues rookies start at the bottom and have to play their way up the depth chart. Bolduc will not be an exception to that rule. Doesn't mean he has to be a Dallas Drake style checker, but he's not going to be gifted top 9 minutes until he shows something in limited minutes. That's just not how the Blues operate.
That's not true. Tarasenko didn't start on the 4th, Schwartz did though. Kyrou also started in the top 9 as well. Thomas, similar to Schwartz started on the 4th because he had a more complete game, and had characteristics that would work on a 4th line.

Somone like Dean would likely start on a 4th line, someone like Bolduc will have to do more since he's need to show that he can stick it on a more offensive line.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
That's not true. Tarasenko didn't start on the 4th, Schwartz did though. Kyrou also started in the top 9 as well. Thomas, similar to Schwartz started on the 4th because he had a more complete game, and had characteristics that would work on a 4th line.

Somone like Dean would likely start on a 4th line, someone like Bolduc will have to do more since he's need to show that he can stick it on a more offensive line.
Vladdy:
38 games in 12-13: ATOI 13:25
That was 9th amongst our forwards in ATOI(and only because Langenbrunner went down with a torn Labrum 4 games into the season).

Kyrou:
16 Games in the 18-19 season; ATOI 9:40
28 games in 19-20: ATOI 10:54
Again; that is NOT top 9 TOI.

They both started at the bottom and had to earn their way up. You pretty much have to go back to TJ Oshie to find one that even started on the 3rd line.

Blues rookies do not start in the top 9. They start at the bottom and have to earn their way up.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Vladdy:
38 games in 12-13: ATOI 13:25
That was 9th amongst our forwards in ATOI(and only because Langenbrunner went down with a torn Labrum 4 games into the season).

Kyrou:
16 Games in the 18-19 season; ATOI 9:40
28 games in 19-20: ATOI 10:54
Again; that is NOT top 9 TOI.

They both started at the bottom and had to earn their way up. You pretty much have to go back to TJ Oshie to find one that even started on the 3rd line.

Blues rookies do not start in the top 9. They start at the bottom and have to earn their way up.
TOI doesn't equate what line they started on. We can go back to GDT and look at the official lines for where the guys started. Kyrou started in the top 9 in 2018. Tarasenko started with Steen and McDonald.

Just because their TOI was reduced because they wouldn't be deployed in certain situations, doesn't mean they weren't in the top 9. To compare it to this situation, if Bolduc made the team, he'd start on the 3rd line, but mutliple 4th liners, like Sundqvist would have more ice time than him.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
TOI doesn't equate what line they started on. We can go back to GDT and look at the official lines for where the guys started. Kyrou started in the top 9 in 2018. Tarasenko started with Steen and McDonald.

Just because their TOI was reduced because they wouldn't be deployed in certain situations, doesn't mean they weren't in the top 9. To compare it to this situation, if Bolduc made the team, he'd start on the 3rd line, but mutliple 4th liners, like Sundqvist would have more ice time than him.

Agreed. I think this also shows how hazy line numbers are. Player usage has multiple axes. I don't mind saying a guy got "4th line minutes" even if everybody knows he still lined up with skill players. I also don't mind saying a guy was "on the second line" even if multiple guys on the third line got more minutes. It's all ballpark.

But I also don't think the line a guy is on to start training camp means much. Gotta line 'em up somehow and I seriously doubt any team has ever done it top to bottom with a strict ranking or by projected immediate NHL usage.

I guess maybe I'm less of a stickler as I age. I'm interested to follow these things as they develop, but I'm mostly content to see what happens when it matters. Too many tea leaves to try to pick which ones to read.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Agreed. I think this also shows how hazy line numbers are. Player usage has multiple axes. I don't mind saying a guy got "4th line minutes" even if everybody knows he still lined up with skill players. I also don't mind saying a guy was "on the second line" even if multiple guys on the third line got more minutes. It's all ballpark.

But I also don't think the line a guy is on to start training camp means much. Gotta line 'em up somehow and I seriously doubt any team has ever done it top to bottom with a strict ranking or by projected immediate NHL usage.

I guess maybe I'm less of a stickler as I age. I'm interested to follow these things as they develop, but I'm mostly content to see what happens when it matters. Too many tea leaves to try to pick which ones to read.
Yeah, I'll admit it's pretty much meaningless, just that I'm excited to see how he performs based on playing with Hayes to start and his comments about his mentality being in the right place this camp compared to previous camps.

Reactions: rumrokh

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
After watching the first 2 days of Training Camp, here are my thoughts on some players:

Kyrou - stronger, faster, should be a perennial all-star
Thomas - our #1 C, also could be a perennial all-star
Buchnevich - same Buch, can be a perennial all-star too
Hayes - big, smart, could make all-star appearance
Vrana - looks like an all-star goal scorer
Perunovich - quick, determined, almost like an all-star
Krug - Sucked
Hofer - stud goalie, future HOF’er maybe
Scandella - looks healthy, could be a stud d-man again

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
After watching the first 2 days of Training Camp, here are my thoughts on some players:

Krug - Sucked

"Almost like an all-star" is my theme for this year.

"How good is he? All-star?"
"Eeehhh, like an all-star."
"Like?"
"Almost like."
"Shitchyea, sounds like conference finals at least."

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada

Krug - Sucked

Are you telling me Krug is already in mid-season form and disappearing on the defensive side of the game, whilst nearly invisible at even strength?

Did they at least gift him PP time to raise his value from the press box?

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Are you telling me Krug is already in mid-season form and disappearing on the defensive side of the game, whilst nearly invisible at even strength?

Did they at least gift him PP time to raise his value from the press box?
They did give him PP time but he immediately gave up a short handed breakaway to Bortuzzo.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis

I thought Thomas started on the 3rd line between Maroon and Bozak?

Also, Krug is coming off a strained foot muscle so his skating may not be full capacity yet and I didn't think he sucked. Not great but not sucking yet.

Reactions: Blueston

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I thought Thomas started on the 3rd line between Maroon and Bozak?

Also, Krug is coming off a strained foot muscle so his skating may not be full capacity yet and I didn't think he sucked. Not great but not sucking yet.
He eventually settled there, but he originally centered the 4th line while Kyrou was in the top 9.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
I believe it was 8-9 games of 4C then 3rd RW with Bozak and that Maroon- Bozak- Thomas trio was the most stable line we had the rest of the year.

Reactions: Blueston
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad