IMG_3440.jpg

IMG_3673.jpg

IMG_3674.jpg

IMG_3772.jpg

Last edited:

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Hopefully they pair Niku with a decent partner for his game, give him what Stanley and Poolman got.

Niku paired with Gawanke during practice gives a hint that the org doesn't have him as high on the depth chart as some of us do yet... I don't think they see him as an NHL option for this season ahead of guys like Melchiori or Nogier, at least at this point in time, his AHL performance probably could change that. Not necessarily a bad thing, remember that when Morrissey was Niku's age he couldn't make the team either.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Niku paired with Gawanke during practice gives a hint that the org doesn't have him as high on the depth chart as some of us do yet... I don't think they see him as an NHL option for this season ahead of guys like Melchiori or Nogier, at least at this point in time, his AHL performance probably could change that. Not necessarily a bad thing, remember that when Morrissey was Niku's age he couldn't make the team either.

I don't think they need to rush Sami. He is a 7th round pick and he is only heading into his draft +3 season and it will be his first year in North America so I don't mind them pumping the brakes a bit. Funny I was just going to bring up Morrissey. Toby Enstrom was picked in the 8th round and he didn't come over to North America and join the Thrashers until is Draft +5 Season. I wouldn't read too much into the org playing Stanley with Buff and assume that means he is higher on a depth chart than Niku.....at this point I don't think either guy is on an NHL Jets depth chart I think they are both squarely in the middle of development roles.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Niku has some very good skills and NHL potential but he's still quite weak and struggles against big forwards. He'll need some time to figure out how to defend strong NHL forwards on the small ice, just as Enstrom and Morrissey needed to figure things out.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
Niku has some very good skills and NHL potential but he's still quite weak and struggles against big forwards. He'll need some time to figure out how to defend strong NHL forwards on the small ice, just as Enstrom and Morrissey needed to figure things out.

He has played against men for two years already tho right? I agree tho, there's no reason to rush him.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba

Oh I don't expect him to make the team, it'd just be nice if they gave him the same opportunity they gave Stanley/Poolman and not make him carry a pairing with an 18 year old.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Oh I don't expect him to make the team, it'd just be nice if they gave him the same opportunity they gave Stanley/Poolman and not make him carry a pairing with an 18 year old.

I get what your saying. He's ahead of Stanley development wise and should've got into a game ahead of Stanley. I agree. But poolman is more ready IMO. He's close to being ready.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I get what your saying. He's ahead of Stanley development wise and should've got into a game ahead of Stanley. I agree. But poolman is more ready IMO. He's close to being ready.

I would hope so, he has 3+years on Niku. Niku is a LHD though while Poolman is a righty that has played the left before, so it'd be good for him to get some experience with NHL D considering he's likely on our team in a year if we don't re-sign Enstrom.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

I'm a big Niku fan but he isn't on the team without a couple injuries to LHD. Even then they likely go to Chiarot and Nogier ahead of him. IMO it is not about opportunity for him. That will come playing night after night for the Moose and proving himself over time. He is a pro and will be playing pro hockey. Stanley getting playing time isn't about opportunity either, it is about development. The organization obviously wants him to see game action before going back to junior. I'm guessing they want him to see and appreciate areas he needs to develop. But to do this he needs to be sheltered as much as possible and what better way to shelter him than playing with Buff in the 1st preseason game against a week wild lineup.

Poolman on the other hand is in serious consideration. He likely starts in the A, but he will be given a long look and is likely the 1st call up.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
This is the lineup I'd like to see tomorrow..

Laine - Scheif - Wheeler
Perreault - Little - Ehlers
Connor - Roslovic - Petan
Matthias - Copp - Hendricks

Kulikov - Trouba
Stanley - Myers
Niku - Poolman

Mason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events