GDT: Train(wreck) Spotting - Sharks vs Oil

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
We are just making up for the last 10 years of posting in the first 2 months of the season.

Either the mods are doing a great job or we’re all just less ornery as a fan base because I haven’t really seen anything too trolling.
Yeah sorry maybe not a lot except for one certain poster. But I think he got blocked

Reactions: TruKnyte

petterdaddy

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2023
Vancouver
IMG_0453.jpeg

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Biggest thing the Oilers need to do right now, IMO, is rest McDavid. It seems pretty obvious to me he hasn't recovered from the injury he sustained and rushed back from. His usual pop and speed simply isn't there. He's still really f***ing fast, but not his usual self.

Firing the coach isn't going to solve anything long term. The Oilers' offense is strong enough that they will win some games. But it's that broken record - until they address their defense (defense first, defense first, defense first...) and goaltending, they aren't going anywhere significant.

Reactions: LordBacon

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Biggest thing the Oilers need to do right now, IMO, is rest McDavid. It seems pretty obvious to me he hasn't recovered from the injury he sustained and rushed back from. His usual pop and speed simply isn't there. He's still really f***ing fast, but not his usual self.

Firing the coach isn't going to solve anything long term. The Oilers' offense is strong enough that they will win some games. But it's that broken record - until they address their defense (defense first, defense first, defense first...) and goaltending, they aren't going anywhere significant.
I still think it’s a personnel issue. Defense and goaltending aren’t there. The only defender worth half a damn is Ekholm.

Keep in mind I believe they’ve been outrageously outshooting opponents in a lot of these games. As fun as it is, they’ll snap out of it but 2-9-1 is pitifully embarrassing.

Is McDavid hockeys answer to Lebron, I wonder. Exceptional players who are learning slowly how to be successful.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

I think they'll only fire Woodcroft, their 4th coach for this core.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I still think it’s a personnel issue. Defense and goaltending aren’t there. The only defender worth half a damn is Ekholm.

Keep in mind I believe they’ve been outrageously outshooting opponents in a lot of these games. As fun as it is, they’ll snap out of it but 2-9-1 is pitifully embarrassing.

Is McDavid hockeys answer to Lebron, I wonder. Exceptional players who are learning slowly how to be successful.
its cultural issue. They spent like forever getting 1st OAs and then treating them like spoiled children. None of their top picks had to learn how to play like a complete game and the whole team kinda follows their lead.

petterdaddy

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2023
Vancouver
its cultural issue. They spent like forever getting 1st OAs and then treating them like spoiled children. None of their top picks had to learn how to play like a complete game and the whole team kinda follows their lead.

At some point they need to stop caving to McDavid’s every request. He wanted Brown and Campbell and like.. they’re both literally horrible. They hired his agent to be the CEO (??? Is this a thing ??) of the Oilers.

He’s good but clearly he can’t evaluate talent for shit and if he wants to be a GM he’s gonna need to retire or do it on NHL24

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
the logical place for mcdavid to go is toronto. leafs are ceilinged right now,tand they love big moves.

so could the leafs pull off a trade? nylander++? nylander re-signed, rielly, samsanov and some 1sts for mcdavid and campbell is not completely crazy as a starting point.

would love to see the leafs even more top heavy.

Reactions: I am toxic

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
In September is 'the Cup or bust' for the 2023-24 edition of the Oilers. Nobody could have predicted the 'bust' would happen in the first 12 games.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
In September is 'the Cup or bust' for the 2023-24 edition of the Oilers. Nobody could have predicted the 'bust' would happen in the first 12 games.
Based on the contracts of Leon and Connor, Cup or Bust made sense. At least a long PO run, to the WCF. A lot of the EDM posters seem to think that the Oilers are going to walk them both to UFA trying to win the cup. Maybe they do that. Or that they truly believe that these guys will extend another contract with Edm with no success.

They've botched it really badly because their organizational structure and personnel is so bad. Like Benning days, no draft picks contributed post first rounders. Development in the A, nothing. At least Van had goaltending developing for them. They drafted goalies in rounds 3 onwards thinking that they had a Vasi, Lundqvist giving them strong goaltending for multiple years, thus allowing them to take shots and hope to find a gem in the later rounds vs giving themselves more options.

Talbot, Koskinen, Smith, Campbell. Those were their goalies in the McDavid era. Pass on Hart in 2016 in favor of Benson and Oettinger in 2017 for Yamamoto, along with Wallstedt in 2020 for Bouglaout. 3 forwards over the highest rated goalie in each of those drafts. Plus, a bad goalie coach at the NHL level.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
D can't do anything if their own F don't back check, and if that's the case, they are essentially outnumbered, and the goalies gets hung out to dry. That addresses transition/rush.

Once the other team has them hemmed in, the oilers are stationary - good that they have orange in their jersey colors, since they are pylons. Allowing obscene puck movement/cross seam plays that again leave the goalies hung out to dry. The remedy for this is tougher, relies on D/C reading each other, Wingers knowing when to (briefly) collapse before hustling to reestablish coverage/pressure on the points, but ultimately requires them to always be in motion, even if it is on the same tiny patch of ice. Yes, that can be done, esp using rotational energy and translating that into straight line movement.

Need a coach that understands and can communicate this, and complete buy in by all players on the ice at all times.

Changing goalies or D is a patch that will have very limited success.

Coaching/systems/Buy-in, and then whatever whenever to upgrade personnel.

Their GM sucks, and unless McDavid takes a big discount, he will never win a cup as an oiler.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Their GM sucks, and unless McDavid takes a big discount, he will never win a cup as an oiler.
Why would anyone trust the Oiler's front office? I would not. This year 9 of McDrai together. Edm got time. Winnipeg, I feel sorry for since Trouba only gave them 6 seasons and his departure really hurt their D core. Even Cal with Tkachuck was just 6 seasons before he was moved. Edm simply blew it.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Someone wake me up.

The combination of Edmonton sucking and the Canucks kicking ass is basically a glimpse of heaven.
Its pretty crazy how fast the script flipped, edm season is extremely close to over already like twelve games in and nucks can't stop scoring

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
McDavid is playing hurt, and Draisaitl, who feasted on the PP over the years, has gone bone dry.

The sad reality is once you get past those two guys--the roster is flawed. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Zach Hyman had 'career years' last season, but you knew there was going to be a fall-off.

The rest of the roster is a bunch of interchangeable parts--and the defense and goaltending has been disastrous.

Maybe, with the benefit of hindsight, this meltdown wasn't impossible to predict.

Reactions: I am toxic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad