OT: Train crash at Hoboken Station

Leslie Treff

Sep 18, 2005
New York
People are usually standing when you get close to the station. Imagine many many injuries. Heavy damage to the beautiful old terminal. Very upsetting. Prayers to everyone involved.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
People are usually standing when you get close to the station. Imagine many many injuries. Heavy damage to the beautiful old terminal. Very upsetting. Prayers to everyone involved.

It's that and that people crowd the front car.

Not only is it the quiet car (which is awesome in the AM), but it's so easy to jump out and run to PATH or ferry.

I don't want to complain about logistics and all, but this is potentially going to ruin commutes for months, too.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Always sobering when you get an e-mail in the morning from the head of your company asking employees to sound off that they are okay.

Thoughts with those affected.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I'm hearing from friends in my neck of the woods that it was the Pascack Valley line coming in from Jersey (where i live, but I don't work in the city). It starts up in Montvale and goes all the way down the Bergen County Valley into the path station.

Very scary. I know a lot of friends going in on that train. Too many injuries to count. Probably many on the platform as well as on the train. Thoughts go out to the injured and the families of the deceased.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I'm hearing from friends in my neck of the woods that it was the Pascack Valley line coming in from Jersey (where i live, but I don't work in the city). It starts up in Montvale and goes all the way down the Bergen County Valley into the path station.

Very scary. I know a lot of friends going in on that train. Too many injuries to count. Probably many on the platform as well as on the train. Thoughts go out to the injured and the families of the deceased.

Yep, Pascack Valley line. Saying 7:23 train, but I can't get a look at the timetable since the NJ Transit site is down. Not sure if the CRASH happened at 7:23 or if it was a 7:23 originating train.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Pascack Valley Line, train no. 1614. Sked to leave Spring Valley, NY at 7:23 a.m. & Secaucus at 8:26 a.m. for Hoboken. Seacucus is transfer hub.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Pascack Valley Line, train no. 1614. Sked to leave Spring Valley, NY at 7:23 a.m. & Secaucus at 8:26 a.m. for Hoboken. Seacucus is transfer hub.

I've taken that train before. Lots of stops on the way in.

The 7:23 train out of Spring Valley makes scheduled stops in Nanuet and Pearl River in Rockland County before heading on to New Jersey stops at the stations of Montvale, Park Ridge, Woodcliff Lake, Hillsdale, Westwood, Emerson, Oradell, River Edge, New Bridge Landing, Anderson Street, Essex Street, Teterboro, Wood-Ridge, and Secaucus Junction - a transfer point to midtown Manhattan - before terminating in Hoboken.

http://www.lohud.com/story/news/transit/2016/09/29/nj-transit-hoboken/91261440/

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
So, obviously, NJ Transit is not running right now to Hoboken, but the PATH and the ferry are BOTH suspended at Hoboken. People walking the entire length of the city to Hoboken North ferry terminal.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Thoughts with all those affected.

Sorry for my ignorance but don't trains have dead man controls?

I'm hearing the engineer was slumped over prior to the crash.

I realize the info we're getting now is early on in the investigation.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Thoughts with all those affected.

Sorry for my ignorance but don't trains have dead man controls?

I'm hearing the engineer was slumped over prior to the crash.

I realize the info we're getting now is early on in the investigation.

This train should have had three separate fail-safes.

If anyone wants to talk about this in a political manner or anything, we have a thread on the politics board right now:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2130721

Last edited by a moderator:

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
I used to take the Montclair Boonton train into Hoboken for school. Best wishes to everyone involved.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
I used to take the Montclair Boonton train into Hoboken for school. Best wishes to everyone involved.

Fellow Prep alum?

It was bad around here this morning, tons of ambulances. A few people in my office were actually on the train, but luckily in the back. They felt a hard stop but didn't' even realize the train crashed until they got off. Amazing how the front of the train can be that bad but the back barely realized anything happened.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I don't understand..aren't there safegaurds that would stop the train automatically if something happened to the engineer?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad