Value of: Trading up for Sam Dickinson

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
What would be the cost from NJD to move up to select Sam Dickinson at each of the following spots?

Estimated pick costs (puckpedia) to move up from 10th to the following spots

5th: 23rd overall
6th: 29th overall
7th: 37th overall
8th: 49th overall
9th: 72nd overall

Last edited:

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
What would be the cost from NJD to move up to select Sam Dickinson at each of the following spots?

5th:
6th:
7th:
8th:
9th:
Remove the 5th, Habs won't trade down - especially if you are offering nonsense like Holtz!

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Utah would probably happily trade that pick for a more established prospect or player, but whether NJ would go for that is debatable.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Utah would probably happily trade that pick for a more established prospect or player, but whether NJ would go for that is debatable.
I'd be willing to give up Mercer if it got me Dickinson, and I am LOATHE to give up mercer in almost any case. (This would not be alongside 10th overall)

Dman is tough, and I know that's a need for Utah because I think Marino would be a great fit for Utah, but not sure NJD can afford to give him up this year, casey isn't quite ready yet imo and NJD can't go younger yet until Luke and Nemec get a bit more experience

I don't know, what else would Utah be targeting?

The other possibility would be a simple trade up with picks and prospects, although not sure utah is looking for more quantity. What kind of assets are the target along with 10th?

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
I'd be willing to give up Mercer if it got me Dickinson, and I am LOATHE to give up mercer in almost any case. (This would not be alongside 10th overall)

Dman is tough, and I know that's a need for Utah because I think Marino would be a great fit for Utah, but not sure NJD can afford to give him up this year, casey isn't quite ready yet imo and NJD can't go younger yet until Luke and Nemec get a bit more experience

I don't know, what else would Utah be targeting?

The other possibility would be a simple trade up with picks and prospects, although not sure utah is looking for more quantity. What kind of assets are the target along with 10th?
I think I'd do this if I were Utah. Mercer would their #1C and outside Celebrini there are no real promising #1C prospects outside of maybe Lindstrom, but I think Mercer is just a better Lindstrom already.

A lot of people will quote that Utah needs dmen, but what they need is a #1 d-man, not anything less. Moser and Durzi are both very solid #2D and Valimaki is a decent top 4 defender. Simashev could be a #1D but projects as more of a Hjalmarsson type which is also something they need anyways. Lamoreaux before he was injured looked like he could reach #1D peak.

They do however badly need a #1C until Cooley is ready at the least, and he may not even project at C long term. They also just need better centers in general because no one should have Boyd as their #1C, ever, and Bjugstad should be in the bottom 6. Guenther could project as a C but it's way more likely that he and But are wingers.

Reactions: dgibb10

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I think I'd do this if I were Utah. Mercer would their #1C and outside Celebrini there are no real promising #1C prospects outside of maybe Lindstrom, but I think Mercer is just a better Lindstrom already.

A lot of people will quote that Utah needs dmen, but what they need is a #1 d-man, not anything less. Moser and Durzi are both very solid #2D and Valimaki is a decent top 4 defender. Simashev could be a #1D but projects as more of a Hjalmarsson type which is also something they need anyways. Lamoreaux before he was injured looked like he could reach #1D peak.

They do however badly need a #1C until Cooley is ready at the least, and he may not even project at C long term. They also just need better centers in general because no one should have Boyd as their #1C, ever, and Bjugstad should be in the bottom 6. Guenther could project as a C but it's way more likely that he and But are wingers.
Sold in my opinion. Which is a very rare thing because the list of guys I'd give mercer up for is a short one. I am 100% sold on dickinson being the real deal tho. Luke, Nemec, Dickinson, Casey for the next decade+ (hopefully) after Hamilton ages out will be perfect imo

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Sold in my opinion. Which is a very rare thing because the list of guys I'd give mercer up for is a short one. I am 100% sold on dickinson being the real deal tho. Luke, Nemec, Dickinson, Casey for the next decade+ (hopefully) after Hamilton ages out will be perfect imo
I think Dickinson could definitely hit #1D peak too, but Utah may want something that isn't going to take years to make an impact. There are definitely a lot of great d-men in this draft and I think most Utah fans would be perfectly happy to draft one, but I also have heard that Smyth wants to contend and spend money in FA, so a deal like this could be an option.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I think Dickinson could definitely hit #1D peak too, but Utah may want something that isn't going to take years to make an impact. There are definitely a lot of great d-men in this draft and I think most Utah fans would be perfectly happy to draft one, but I also have heard that Smyth wants to contend and spend money in FA, so a deal like this could be an option.
I have Mercer valued equivalent to like an 8th overall pick so maybe NJD adds something small as well.

bud12

Oct 8, 2012

Isn't Schmaltz your #1C?

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018

I don't think Mercer plays C for the Devils at the moment.

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Dickinson might drop down to #10
Levshunov, Buium, Parekh, Silayev should go before Dickinson.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Dickinson might drop down to #10
Levshunov, Buium, Parekh, Silayev should go before Dickinson.
If he does I'd be a very happy man.

However NHL teams have much better ideas of who teams will pick than idea. So if for example NJD has a good idea that Seattle wants Dickinson at 8, you look into moving up to 7 or 6 to take him.

Reactions: Lockin17

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
If he does I'd be a very happy man.

However NHL teams have much better ideas of who teams will pick than idea. So if for example NJD has a good idea that Seattle wants Dickinson at 8, you look into moving up to 7 or 6 to take him.
I don't think anyone is 100% sure on who is picking whom, i would say 70% maybe, still a gamble.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
And why doesn't he play 3C then? he was playing on the 3rd line as a winger was he not?
He did play 3C on occasion. He was moved throughout the lineup because he's incredibly versatile.

I don't think anyone is 100% sure on who is picking whom, i would say 70% maybe, still a gamble.
Oh for sure, but I like SD a ton and so if there's a 70% chance seattle takes him and then a 70% chance calgary takes him after that I'd be pretty agressive in jumping them

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Isn't Schmaltz your #1C?
Not really. Arizona tried Schmaltz at center a bunch and while I think he isn't that bad he's more of a 2C at best, and is much better as a winger than a C in the first place. His faceoff skills aren't great and he doesn't play responsibly and is somewhat of a floater. They've ran Boyd, Hayton, Cooley, Kerfoot, Bjugstad and McBain on the top line at varying points this season. Hayton stunk up the start of the year but has always been our #1C otherwise. Injury caused Bjugstad to step in, and then he got injured and Kerfoot stepped in. Those are the 3 main guys at #1C this year and only Kerfoot was particularly successful with them. Bjugstad just doesn't have much left in him and Kerfoot is great but doesn't mesh very well as their center either. Neither are anywhere close to 1C category. I have no doubt Cooley will eventually grow into the #1C they're looking for but I would much rather he be sheltered and spread out with Doan and Guenther for now until they all take a few more steps, and we need a competent scoring 2C anyways.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
He did play 3C on occasion. He was moved throughout the lineup because he's incredibly versatile.

Oh for sure, but I like SD a ton and so if there's a 70% chance seattle takes him and then a 70% chance calgary takes him after that I'd be pretty agressive in jumping them
I think we agree though that he's better suited to RW than C. He's not exactly a play driver or attune to the defensive responsibilities. Better as a wing man.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
And it would still be a problem because Mercer isn't better than him
Mercer isn't soft as butter, primarily a playmaker, doesn't float, is extremely engaged even when he isn't good defensively, has a way better shot and more of a motor than Schmaltz does, is way better on faceoffs, and while he isn't perfect is still much better defensively. More importantly he's also like a billion years younger than Schmaltz and would actually fit into our core a lot better. He's also really good on the cycle and would stand up and provide much needed grit to our team, which is something we sorely lack. A cycling, bruising, net front, shoot first score first goalscoring, decent to good face off guy is EXACTLY what we want in our ideal #1C. Whether we keep Schmaltz or not, Maccelli - Mercer - Keller would also be an amazing top line and still have him fit like a glove. He's also an RFA still so cost controlled which would be fantastic.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Gibb you’ll like this draft board then- 2024 NHL Mock Draft | 2024 NHL Draft | NHL Draft
Very very happy man. Been able to watch Dickinson live a few times and am just enamoured with his game. Gonna be a stud

Mercer isn't soft as butter, primarily a playmaker, doesn't float, is extremely engaged even when he isn't good defensively, has a way better shot and more of a motor than Schmaltz does, is way better on faceoffs, and while he isn't perfect is still much better defensively. More importantly he's also like a billion years younger than Schmaltz and would actually fit into our core a lot better. He's also really good on the cycle and would stand up and provide much needed grit to our team, which is something we sorely lack. A cycling, bruising, net front, shoot first score first goalscoring, decent to good face off guy is EXACTLY what we want in our ideal #1C. Whether we keep Schmaltz or not, Maccelli - Mercer - Keller would also be an amazing top line and still have him fit like a glove. He's also an RFA still so cost controlled which would be fantastic.
And even if mercer isn't a perfect center, he literally fills any possible role.

PP guy: he can fill that
PK guy: he can fill that
Center: he can do that
Winger: he can do that
And an absolute ironman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad