Trading the Sabres 2024 1st for help now

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
First question is, do we have 2 legit top 6 centers?

We have 2 good offensive centers.

It certainly isn’t uncommon for players to take a step back after getting their 1st big contract. I think there are a variety of reasons for their struggles this year. The skill is certainly there.

I look at the Vegas 1st year where everyone came out of nowhere to have career years to year 2 after everyone got paid. Everyone took a step back.

Long term, we will see. I think you change around the coaches and see how everyone does.

Reactions: Matt Ress

Misko

Sep 30, 2020
I don't know if there is a legit Top 6 center in the league that is available. Don't think any worthwhile ones are rumored and playoffs and even bubble playoff teams aren't trading you one of their best players. Besides, what top player would want to come to this team and play worse hockey and see their career dip because of it?

What this team is needs is a completely revamped coaching staff. This team has a lot of talent but Granato clearly doesn't understand how to coach this team to win hockey games, he is completely clueless and has the Sabres playing uninspired, listless hockey game to game. I like Granato the person, but as a coach he has shown he cannot coach this team and consistently has them playing the wrong way. He has no accountability for himself either. He and his whole staff needs to go, replace them with Quenville for all I care, but the coaching staff needs to change as soon as the season ends if you want to salvage this teams talent and potential

Reactions: IronSac

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I don't know if there is a legit Top 6 center in the league that is available. Don't think any worthwhile ones are rumored and playoffs and even bubble playoff teams aren't trading you one of their best players. Besides, what top player would want to come to this team and play worse hockey and see their career dip because of it?

What this team is needs is a completely revamped coaching staff. This team has a lot of talent but Granato clearly doesn't understand how to coach this team to win hockey games, he is completely clueless and has the Sabres playing uninspired, listless hockey game to game. I like Granato the person, but as a coach he has shown he cannot coach this team and consistently has them playing the wrong way. He has no accountability for himself either. He and his whole staff needs to go, replace them with Quenville for all I care, but the coaching staff needs to change as soon as the season ends if you want to salvage this teams talent and potential
Maybe you package Tage or DC to a team that is looking for quantity and futures. Or maybe someone prices/ages themselves out of a market.

Misko

Sep 30, 2020
Maybe you package Tage or DC to a team that is looking for quantity and futures. Or maybe someone prices/ages themselves out of a market.
Don't think moving either makes sense. Both have had regression this year but so has the entire team. I think you change the coaching first before you move one of them. If you can get them to play like last season then you're golden, and I think it's achievable for both. Besides, Tage looks like he's been playing injured and has played well in his recent games, moving on from him would be a foolish gamble imo.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Don't think moving either makes sense. Both have had regression this year but so has the entire team. I think you change the coaching first before you move one of them. If you can get them to play like last season then you're golden, and I think it's achievable for both. Besides, Tage looks like he's been playing injured and has played well in his recent games, moving on from him would be a foolish gamble imo.
Completely agree. For the sake of the thread, I think that's the first question because your options change beginning from your personal answer.

If you're one to believe the team has 2 top 6 centers and likely a solid top 4 D, you have to look at an impact winger for a 10ish 1st rounder imo

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
Not high enough to entice in what is a meh draft year. Instead of taking three first round cuts in two years, perhaps the place to look should have been then instead of trying to make this an outcome now.
It’s not a meh year as much as you say… it’s a year where the number 10 pick could end up being better than the number two, but all those players are actually good players. It lacks the super high-end Bedard level talent, but that makes the later draft pick more valuable not less…

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
We need both Tage and Cozens to bounce back or none of this matters. The team will go no where with these guys playing at their current level

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Id move our first for cirelli easily but ik my opinion on that has had some push back given his high contract etc. In my head im recouping assets by trading Joker and jokers new deal vs cirellis with rising cap is close enough for me to stomach.

Ideally though you find 2 low end defensive minded centers in free agency etc and include that first (in a bigger package obviously) for Brady. Ik its a pipe dream around here and again has been met with some criticism being the captain of a losing team etc etc.

Off the top of my head those are 2 of the only names viable to be moved that make sense. That being said im 100% moving that pick if im the GM.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES

Looking at the types of players that have moved for 2024 1st round picks to this point and the kinds of non-rental trades that have happened recently (DeBrincat, Seth Jones, Ekblad), it has me pessimistic that Adams could put the Sabres 1st on the table and land a player that really moves the needle for this team.

I get the feeling that the kinds of guys that they need are treated like gold by GMs that know how to build winners and they are unlikely to be available.

:dunno:

I believe your assessment is correct. Thus, we won't be trading our first for help now. It's not happening.

What are we doing? making a 'big push that gets us to the top wild card spot at best? Ya know? It's like come on, think bigger. You make this move when you are already a playoff team based on the core you've built. THEN you add.

Not when you get smoked by Ottawa with 9 games left and you're gonna draft 8th overall AGAIN. Who even wants that pick?

ONE TIME can the Sabres move all the way up the lotto and land the top pick?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I believe your assessment is correct. Thus, we won't be trading our first for help now. It's not happening.

What are we doing? making a 'big push that gets us to the top wild card spot at best? Ya know? It's like come on, think bigger. You make this move when you are already a playoff team based on the core you've built. THEN you add.

Not when you get smoked by Ottawa with 9 games left and you're gonna draft 8th overall AGAIN. Who even wants that pick?

ONE TIME can the Sabres move all the way up the lotto and land the top pick?
I do think that Baker is correct in that Adams needs to be more willing than he has been in the past to move picks and prospects for veteran help on the NHL roster.

We cannot have another offseason of minimal moves and hoping that the light goes on for the bulk of the roster. Especially if Granato and his staff are back.

They need a different offseason than they have had if they want different results on the ice in 2024-25.

Reactions: Selanne00008

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It’s not a meh year as much as you say… it’s a year where the number 10 pick could end up being better than the number two, but all those players are actually good players. It lacks the super high-end Bedard level talent, but that makes the later draft pick more valuable not less…

This upcoming draft is closer to 2013 than most in recent memory. There’s a talent drop after the top dozen or so. There’s not a surplus of high-end centers so this pick alone isn’t likely to pry out what people think it will. It’s an average draft. This pick alone isn’t going to get what people want.

Reactions: dickiedunnwrotethis

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Don't forget, Adams is not allowed to trade away 1st round draft picks.

The Director of Amateur Scouting, Jerry Forton is best friends with Terry Pegula.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Sure they'll just trade that 1st and get a big impact player totally gonna happen.

I'll just link the big bucket of piss Value of: - Strong package from Buffalo at the draft Ostlund+Jokiharju+1st generated.

Who do people think is going to be traded? Also love the notion that big defensively strong wingers are cheap to pick up.

For the amount of time people spend on this message board....

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
We have 2 good offensive centers.

It certainly isn’t uncommon for players to take a step back after getting their 1st big contract. I think there are a variety of reasons for their struggles this year. The skill is certainly there.

I look at the Vegas 1st year where everyone came out of nowhere to have career years to year 2 after everyone got paid. Everyone took a step back.

Long term, we will see. I think you change around the coaches and see how everyone does.
But the positional awareness is not. Cozens is salvageable with a legitimate coach.

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
Sure they'll just trade that 1st and get a big impact player totally gonna happen.

I'll just link the big bucket of piss Value of: - Strong package from Buffalo at the draft Ostlund+Jokiharju+1st generated.

Who do people think is going to be traded? Also love the notion that big defensively strong wingers are cheap to pick up.

For the amount of time people spend on this message board....
Yup, because what people on a messageboard say is gospel. Nobody ever gets traded, never try. You should do PR for Adams.

Misko

Sep 30, 2020
This upcoming draft is closer to 2013 than most in recent memory. There’s a talent drop after the top dozen or so. There’s not a surplus of high-end centers so this pick alone isn’t likely to pry out what people think it will. It’s an average draft. This pick alone isn’t going to get what people want.
Problem is that BUF is gonna be picking in the top dozen which means Adams wont move the pick. I think this is a decent draft though, maybe a bit top heavy but I don't think it's shaping out to be a dud draft year or anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad