Trading the Sabres 2024 1st for help now

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Looking at the types of players that have moved for 2024 1st round picks to this point and the kinds of non-rental trades that have happened recently (DeBrincat, Seth Jones, Ekblad), it has me pessimistic that Adams could put the Sabres 1st on the table and land a player that really moves the needle for this team.

I get the feeling that the kinds of guys that they need are treated like gold by GMs that know how to build winners and they are unlikely to be available.

:dunno:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
It would have to be a package to get the player that Buffalo needs (legit top C). But...what does it really matter if Granato et al return to enforce another season of weak perimeter hockey? No way we get a legit HC. Until/unless that happens, forget it.
With Thompson and Cozens locked up long term, I doubt that Adams is looking to add a "legit top C" to this roster.

Plus, what "legit top C" is likely to be on the trade block this offseason?

I think that an upgrade over Krebs at 3C (Adams is rumored to have been interested in Boone Jenner and Noah Cates at the TDL) is much more likely to be a move that Adams is looking to make than someone that replaces Thompson or Cozens as the top 2 centers on this team.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
My problem is who do they target? Lets say they package the first this year and a prospect or two for a big package. Who should we target? What team has a player of a calibre to be worth that, that they are willing to part with, who doesn't have a NMC to deny coming here, and has a few years of team control still on their contract?

Last summer was the time for this move because we were an up and coming team who had improved every year and only missed the playoffs by 1 point. Vibes were immaculate. We might have been able to convince people to come here. Now we are just the stalled Sabres again.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
My problem is who do they target? Lets say they package the first this year and a prospect or two for a big package. Who should we target? What team has a player of a calibre to be worth that, that they are willing to part with, who doesn't have a NMC to deny coming here, and has a few years of team control still on their contract?

Last summer was the time for this move because we were an up and coming team who had improved every year and only missed the playoffs by 1 point. Vibes were immaculate. We might have been able to convince people to come here. Now we are just the stalled Sabres again.
If they have to write off every guy with NTC protection (like Boone Jenner), that makes a tough job for Adams a lot tougher.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
If they have to write off every guy with NTC protection (like Boone Jenner), that makes a tough job for Adams a lot tougher.
I am sure there are a couple guys who would waive a NTC for geographic reasons, but I think we need to assume at this time that most NTC lists will include us.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Not high enough to entice in what is a meh draft year. Instead of taking three first round cuts in two years, perhaps the place to look should have been then instead of trying to make this an outcome now.

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Not high enough to entice in what is a meh draft year. Instead of taking three first round cuts in two years, perhaps the place to look should have been then instead of trying to make this an outcome now.

The Sabres went through 5 1st round and 3 2nd round picks in '21 and '22

Using them all for prospects rather than some immediate improvement was absolute incompetence.

But hey, think of all the cap space we saved!

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
The Sabres went through 5 1st round and 3 2nd round picks in '21 and '22

Using them all for prospects rather than some immediate improvement was absolute incompetence.

But hey, think of all the cap space we saved!

In my memory, there were almost zero 1st rounders traded for NHL bodies in those drafts. If the deal isn't there, it isn't there.

Reactions: PatLaFontaineASMR

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
With Thompson and Cozens locked up long term, I doubt that Adams is looking to add a "legit top C" to this roster.

Plus, what "legit top C" is likely to be on the trade block this offseason?

I think that an upgrade over Krebs at 3C (Adams is rumored to have been interested in Boone Jenner and Noah Cates at the TDL) is much more likely to be a move that Adams is looking to make than someone that replaces Thompson or Cozens as the top 2 centers on this team.
Trading a 1st infers going big game hunting. You don't have to explain to me how/why KA isn't going to do that. Not sure the point of your post really. I said any trade involving the 1st won't matter much without a coaching change (HC, not just Ellis). That won't happen either, hence "forget it".

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
In my memory, there were almost zero 1st rounders traded for NHL bodies in those drafts. If the deal isn't there, it isn't there.

The DeBrincat trade was something the Sabres could have been in on. But, would that have been a move that made them more likely to be a playoff team? Likely, it would have worked out as well for the Sabres as it did for the Sens.

The Habs traded for Kirby Dach.

The Kings traded for Kevin Fiala.

That's it for trades for NHLers involving 1st round picks.

In 2021, you have the OEL & Garland to Vancouver deal, the Seth Jones to Chicago deal, and that's about it in the 1st round.

That's why projecting a trade is tough as fans and media because we don't really know who is on the block.

Trading a 1st infers going big game hunting. You don't have to explain to me how/why KA isn't going to do that. Not sure the point of your post really. I said any trade involving the 1st won't matter much without a coaching change (HC, not just Ellis). That won't happen either, hence "forget it".
I do not believe being open to trading the 1st for immediate help on the roster infers getting a top center. There are plenty of areas where I suspect Adams wants to add that is not a top line center.

You could go "big game hunting" and get someone who is not a top of the lineup center.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

2021 there probably wasn't time. we had 1st overall and got 13 for Risto a few days before the draft.
However, in 2022 Debrincat, Dach, Fiala were all traded around the draft.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I do not believe being open to trading the 1st for immediate help on the roster infers getting a top center. There are plenty of areas where I suspect Adams wants to add that is not a top line center.

You could go "big game hunting" and get someone who is not a top of the lineup center.
Let's set aside the nothing significant that KA will accomplish this summer. What do YOU think should happen if Buffalo trades a 1st? All through this board you come in like a wet blanket to tell us how much nothing KA will do, as if we need a reminder. I know nothing impactful will happen. This is a budget team trying to pretend to be a competitive club. But what SHOULD happen is to have a top-2 caliber C that can push either of Thompson or Cozens to 3rd line or wing. They also need bigger, tougher, meaner wings that play a straight-ahead and defensively responsible game. Those guys shouldn't cost a 1st and no 1st rd package deal is getting multiple guys like that from one team. Clearly KA is done with defense and if anything ditches Joker rather than adds, and his boy Levi is getting every chance to be the next starting goalie. So where do YOU think a 1st rd pick should be used to improve the team?

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
2021 there probably wasn't time. we had 1st overall and got 13 for Risto a few days before the draft.
However, in 2022 Debrincat, Dach, Fiala were all traded around the draft.
Do you think DeBrincat to Buffalo works out any better than DeBrincat to Ottawa?

In two seasons in Montreal, Dach has played in 60 total NHL games and he has won less than 40% of his faceoffs.

Fiala is the only guy that I would have liked to have seen the Sabres land out of that group.

Reactions: buffalowing88

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
What is that guy thinking? Doesn't he know Buffalo is the development team for other NHL clubs for when our prospects demand to be traded?

Make the pick
wait two years to be developed
lose for 3 more years until the pick gets fed up.
draft pick demands out
trade him for more picks

This is the way

Reactions: buffalowing88

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
What is that guy thinking? Doesn't he know Buffalo is the development team for other NHL clubs for when our prospects demand to be traded?

Make the pick
wait two years to be developed
lose for 3 more years until the pick gets fed up.
draft pick demands out
trade him for more picks

This is the way

You forgot the final step, where said player immediately enjoys a lengthy playoff run with the new team while we watch at home.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Do you think DeBrincat to Buffalo works out any better than DeBrincat to Ottawa?

In two seasons in Montreal, Dach has played in 60 total NHL games and he has won less than 40% of his faceoffs.

Fiala is the only guy that I would have liked to have seen the Sabres land out of that group.

And he’s the guy his captain is hinting is only interested in his own stat line…

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Let's set aside the nothing significant that KA will accomplish this summer. What do YOU think should happen if Buffalo trades a 1st? All through this board you come in like a wet blanket to tell us how much nothing KA will do, as if we need a reminder. I know nothing impactful will happen. This is a budget team trying to pretend to be a competitive club. But what SHOULD happen is to have a top-2 caliber C that can push either of Thompson or Cozens to 3rd line or wing. They also need bigger, tougher, meaner wings that play a straight-ahead and defensively responsible game. Those guys shouldn't cost a 1st and no 1st rd package deal is getting multiple guys like that from one team. Clearly KA is done with defense and if anything ditches Joker rather than adds, and his boy Levi is getting every chance to be the next starting goalie. So where do YOU think a 1st rd pick should be used to improve the team?
I would put the Sabres 1st on the table to try and pry Cirelli out of TB. I wouldn't expect him to push Thompson or Cozens out of the top 2 C spots. I would expect him to be a 3C that plays the game the right way.

Go find a top 2 C that makes this team better that you could make a legit argument that their team would move him and doesn't have a NTC/NMC clause and would likely block the deal. About the only name you might land on is Zegras and that is the hardest of passes for me. He doesn't play the type of game that this team needs to add. In fact, he plays the style of game that the Sabres need less of, IMO.

One interesting name that is out there is Marco Rossi. I wonder what Florida is going to do this summer with 11 pending UFAs, $21M in cap space, and Lundell hitting RFA status.

And I would be interested in someone like Pavel Buchnevich if they could get him to waive. But, that is highly doubtful.

Looking around the league, there are not a lot of good top 2 Cs (or top 2 line players period) without trade protection.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
There’s not an obvious roster hole where I immediately say “oh, move the 1st+ for that.” There are, however, many spots where I look at players that woefully underdelivered this year and wonder whether they should be replaced by someone that 1st could pull in.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I would put the Sabres 1st on the table to try and pry Cirelli out of TB. I wouldn't expect him to push Thompson or Cozens out of the top 2 C spots. I would expect him to be a 3C that plays the game the right way.

Go find a top 2 C that makes this team better that you could make a legit argument that their team would move him and doesn't have a NTC/NMC clause and would likely block the deal. About the only name you might land on is Zegras and that is the hardest of passes for me. He doesn't play the type of game that this team needs to add. In fact, he plays the style of game that the Sabres need less of, IMO.

One interesting name that is out there is Marco Rossi. I wonder what Florida is going to do this summer with 11 pending UFAs, $21M in cap space, and Lundell hitting RFA status.

And I would be interested in someone like Pavel Buchnevich if they could get him to waive. But, that is highly doubtful.

Looking around the league, there are not a lot of good top 2 Cs (or top 2 line players period) without trade protection.
I don't disagree with much in this post, despite the low chances of adding any of them. What it says is how hard it is to find a good center at a fair cap hit. KA traded one away...stupidly. There's no good way to fill the hole he left unless it's a big trade. It will have to be a massive package and probable overpay to get a guy that makes a difference (imo Cirelli isn't that guy, but I'm not trying to split hairs over that).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad